PDA

View Full Version : Roans

Holly
11-21-2007, 02:01 PM
I have just realised that I have no idea what class Roans are shown in :oops:

At Northern shows are they Patterned, AOC or Non-standard?

Is it any different at other shows ie Midland where the classes look to be different?

I_am_plankton
11-21-2007, 02:06 PM
Usually they are patterned. AOC is a colour that has a standard but isn't patterned and not cream, golden or white. Non-standards are colours that do not have standards (for standards check the NHC handbook) :)
If you have a satin that always comes before anything.

Hope that isn't confusing?!

Holly
11-21-2007, 02:29 PM
Not at all - thanks!

It was just that I was reading some Standards literature on Roans and it stated "there isn't a standard for this gene yet".

What would happen if you had a roan of a non-standard self colour - say a mink roan or a dove roan?

I_am_plankton
11-21-2007, 11:35 PM
If they are always non-standard then that would be non-standard I think but you will need to check with a Northern member as I thought there was a standard for mink?

Spuds Mum
11-22-2007, 03:38 AM
From what I can glean Holly (not that I have been reading up on showing roans for any reason you understand :wink: ) minks come under non-standard and any sub-groups of mink (i.e. mink banded, mink roan etc.) would therefore come under this category too.

As far as I can see (in my limited experience admitedly) the easiest way to remember it is the animal goes in the highest class number that applies to it.....non-standard colour is class 20 and the highest at the show so that would be the class!

Maybe someone with more experience could let me know whether I am right?

Holly
11-22-2007, 04:01 AM
Thanks for that, you two :)

So a sable roan (or any other standard colour roan) would be in Patterned and a mink roan (or any non standard colour) would go in Non Standard? (Just making sure thick old me has got it).

Spuds Mum
11-22-2007, 05:22 AM
well that;s what thick old me thinks anyway :x

babyboos
11-28-2007, 05:45 PM
sounds right
patterned in a standard colour if showing the roan patternisation (or banded, dominant spot etc.) and
non standard in a non standard colour whether or not showing any patternisation of any type - roan, banding, dominant spot etc...