PDA

View Full Version : shaved hamster

leigh
11-17-2007, 03:33 PM
I have just picked up another syrian hamster from the police. This one has had most of her fur shaved off by some...person.... :evil: :twisted:
What I was wanting to know is will her fur grow back and is there anything that i can do to aid this? And should I avoid handling her because she is bald?
She is a red eyed white (she still has some hair on her head) and is around 6 weeks.

I_am_plankton
11-18-2007, 03:43 AM
That is sick. People really p*ss me off, what the heck have the human race become? This is a horrible cruelty case and no doubt that person will keep hurting animals :(

Her fur should grow back, a product that aids hair growth is Debittered Brewers Yeast from Holland and Barrett: http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/ ... asp?pid=86 (http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=86) you just sprinkle a pinch onto food everyday.

Just out of curiousity where are you based?

Basia
11-18-2007, 04:15 AM
Poor little thing. How did the police come to have her? I would think her fur will grow back just fine, fur grows back when the vets shave it for operations. Lucky she has you to give her plenty of love and care now.

Matty Day
11-18-2007, 07:46 AM
i would lso give her extra bedding and make sure her cage is away from drafts also leave the heating on . your biggest worry is if she gets realy cold.

Spuds Mum
11-18-2007, 12:32 PM
Poor baby! how can people be so cruel?
Hope her fur grows quickly.

souffle
11-18-2007, 01:16 PM
Oh my that is too awful. I agree you should make sure she has plenty extra soft bedding so as not to scratch her skin and keep her in a warm place till it grows back which hopefully it will do soon.
Is it definitly shaved? Two satin hamsters bred together produce babies with double satinisation which is a very thin furred, sparse coat or sometimes even almost bald hamster.

Holly
11-18-2007, 02:33 PM
I was wondering the same as souffle about double satinisation - do you know for sure she's been shaved or was she maybe dumped (maybe because she's a double satin and she looks "odd")? Either way, there are some horrible people around who just defy description really :(

Well done you for taking her in and giving her the chance to be happy.