PDA

View Full Version : full pouches!

ad36
11-12-2007, 09:41 AM
is it normal for a hamster to keep food in its pouch for a long period. I have noticed that one of mine always seems to have food in the right pouch. I have had a feel of it and it is definately food and not a lump as I can feel grains and seeds etc. It doesnot seem to worry or hurt him when I touch it but is this normal. How can you tell if it is just stored food or it has becomes impacted? Is there anyway of gently easing it out if it is stuck?

Jane
11-12-2007, 10:33 AM
In my experience it's normal ;) Well, my campbells always seem to have food in their pouches :lol:

Spuds Mum
11-12-2007, 11:18 AM
I've noticed some of our hamsters always have a 'favourite pouch' and just like we are left or right handed, they seem to be 'left or right pouched'.
I'd just keep an eye on him to see whether he empties his pouch at all, maybe by giving him quite a bit of his favourite treat to see if he empties it to then re-fill it. If he doesnt seem to be emptying it then it may be worth a trip to the vets!

souffle
11-12-2007, 12:56 PM
The pouches can become impacted with food. Usually they will drool and have wet faces. They then get smelly with the rotting food and need to go to the vet to have the stuff flushed out so keep a close eye on your hammy. Try waking him up and checking as most will not sleep with full pouches. Our dwarfs nearly always have seeds in their pouches though and when we get them out, as Pophammy says, the do the 'millet spew' YUK!
Syrians do not normally keep stuff in there but mainly use their pouches to move food around though sometimes if they have just been cleaned out they tend to get a bit confused and carry the food around for ages.

ad36
11-13-2007, 01:01 AM
Thanks I feel reassured. My other hamsters only use their pouches for transfering food so I was a bit concerned when Max always had food in his. If the signs of impaction are drooling etc, I dont think I need to worry but will keep an eye on him. He certiiainly likes his food so I guess he likes to eat on the go!!