PDA

View Full Version : Wounds and fighting

Teenzeh&Cherie
04-23-2005, 03:09 PM
The one that had his liitle paw caught yesterday... ( buttons) has been keeping away from the others in his cage...sleeping away from them.

i think the others have been bullying and fighting him...cuts to his back.

and he SMELLS AWFUL....although the cage is clean.

I have removed him from the shared cage.

Daughter says she thinks cause by brother of same age...there's also 2 younger brothers in with them.

Buttons and ciders 10 weeks

Younger boys 6 weeks

Anyone got any ideas....just what i need ANOTHER hammy all alone in a solo cage...now up to 7 cages and containers !!!

Total of 23 hamsters !!!! .....i need to part my babies into sexed cages....so that will make 8 cages.... :roll: :roll:

SnuggleHam
04-23-2005, 03:47 PM
Well that's what happens when you want to own lots of hamsters :P Poor little guy I guess he just inst fitting in. There will always be a wall flower I think. Im sure that hamster communities change all the time as far as dominant rank goes. My two roborovskis seem to not like eachother one week and sleep in different places and then the next are sleeping together and having a great old time!

I think all you can do is keep him seperated in another cage. If you have too many maybe you should find the lonners new homes to minimize the cage problem. Just a thought.

Teenzeh&Cherie
04-23-2005, 04:13 PM
We are desprately looking for home for most of the hamsters...15 of them didnt start off as mine ( i own 3 & 5 babies)

The rest are to be re-homed......i would have had 28 but found 5 homes !!

Off to get yet another water bottle 2morrow !!

as for cages i'm now using any storage box that i can find !

SnuggleHam
04-23-2005, 04:15 PM
I actually just saw your post under the classifieds trying to find homes. It’s to bad you’re not in the US on the east cost :( Id like one or two lol

Emma
04-24-2005, 12:56 AM
It might have been an idea to keep Buttons and Cider together as a pair, but separate them from the younger boys?

So Buttons has some cuts to his back, and smells bad. It sounds like his cuts might have become infected. How is the leg that got caught?

It may be an idea to clean up the cuts using something like savlon wound wash (chlorhexidine) or even just salty water (1 tsp salt to 1 pint water), and to pop some probiotics like AviPro Plus into his water to give him some extra support as he'll be a bit stressed.

If you're in any doubt or if the cuts are particularly bad (and the smell isn't a good sign) then taking Buttons to a vet so he can get some antibiotics might be a plan too.

As for rehoming them, have you tried posters in local vets and pet shops, ads in local papers, contacting local rescue centres, other hamster forums/lists or pet rescue forums like www.pet-rescue.org.uk/forums (http://www.pet-rescue.org.uk/forums), contacting the hamster clubs or towy vale hamstery who run the national hamster rescue list. However, it does seem that hamsters are quite hard to rehome - people just don't think to get a rescue hamster when they are looking for a new pet.

Teenzeh&Cherie
05-14-2005, 04:51 AM
I went to feed my hamsters the other day ...and found one huddled in a corner DEAD....he looked like he'd been beaten up ( quite bloody)

the other 4 seemed quite happy cuddled up together...i hadnt noticed any fighting in this cage....

the only thing that had happened recently was that i gave one away from that very cage the night before !

So no idea if he was bullied or killed cause he was poorly ? :cry:

Teenzeh&Cherie
05-16-2005, 03:49 AM
:( Lost another this morning !!.....he had a little cut on his nose yesterday.

so i put him and a friend into a small tank within the bigger one...just make sure his was ok !.

I opened the lid of the smaller tank early evening so him and his friend could freely come and go.

But this morning i found him DEAD...beaten up face.

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON ???? :?:

P.S same large tank as other one was found dead in.

MALE Winter Whites.

babyboos
05-16-2005, 06:53 AM
This is breeding season and hormones are rampant sadly. Try to give all remaining groups a good sand bath and then a tiny dab of "Vick's Vapor Rub" on their rear ends which will help to make them all smell the same and hopefully reduce further fights. Sadly no gaurantees though - make sure all boys are in a seperate room from females and play with the males first, washing your hands in between thoroughly. Ask at the local pet shops etc if they cannot help or the RSPCA may know anyone who either wants a rodent or rescues them. Local vets will also often let you put notices up on their boards or know someone after a new hamster. Freeads, AdMart etc will be your final call. You need to charge a nominal fee to deter reptile owners. Did you get any joy from the appropriate BHA/NHC Hamster Clubs in your area?

Emma
05-16-2005, 09:52 AM
Have you been able to identify one as a particular bully? It could be general fighting or there could be one troublemaker - if it's the latter you could take him out of the group.

Teenzeh&Cherie
05-25-2005, 01:56 PM
So far so good....the 3 remaning ones seem to be getting on fine !

Still looking for homes for 12 hamsters...now selling for £1.50 !!!! :?

Teenzeh&Cherie
06-18-2005, 03:46 PM
HOMES WANTED

Still have 10 left to find homes for...now giving away FREE to good homes....really need them re-homed ASAP...i live in norfolk uk.

2 males live together

2 females together

2 females together

4 females all living alone........

I've gone back to full time work..i just have enough time for my own 6...

the children are trying hard to help look after...but we seemed to have had alot of fights...so now up to 10 tanks for 16 hamsters !!

[email protected]