PDA

View Full Version : hamster sleeps all the time

pharnok
09-29-2007, 10:08 PM
I recently got a rescued ham. He was fine for the first week or so but now he changed his nest and spends almost all of his time in it. He never seems to use his wheel and only comes out to get some food to take back to his nest. He was very plump when I first got him. He does use his toilet but he also pees in his nest. When we take him out to use the ball he seems active enough but as soon as we put him back into his cage he goes back into his nest and sleeps. I am going to take him to the vet but in the meantime does anyone know what could be the problem? And if so, it is serious?

Spuds Mum
09-30-2007, 03:31 AM
He may just be a very lazy boy pharnok. I have a boy, Manny, who is exactly the same. Yesterday I changed his cage all round and got him out in his ball and when he went back in his cage he ran around investigating and going on his wheel for about an hour. We were amazed, but since then - nada - not a peep from him.
We tend to get him up with the others and let him have a run in his ball - handle him. I know it seems like forcing him up, but at least we can keep a check on his health etc.
He may just have a very late body clock of course, he may be zipping around his cage like a mad thing when you are asleep.
I'd keep an eye on him, checking that he looks healthy etc. for a few days.
As for the peeing in his nest, again, some hamsters are really clean and some just never seem to 'get it'.
I'm sure you will get lots of other advice, cause I'm no expert - but hope this helps
:D

souffle
09-30-2007, 12:19 PM
I think you will find that now he is settled and secure he has established his own little routine and is up in the middle of the night having a ball! As the winter draws nearer hammies respond to the changing light amd temperature levels and tend to sleep more and later. They also sleep more as they age. If he seems bright and is eating well I think it is just these things that are causing him to sleep more but you should check him carefully every day for signs of illness such as lumps, bumps. lack of appetite, wet bottom, drinking and weeing a lot, cloudy eyes, smelly urine, dry skin as they can be signs of something amiss.
A vet check will hopefully put your mind at rest.
Let us know how he does and good luck.

leigh
09-30-2007, 01:43 PM
I have to agree with Spud's mum here. This is my first winter with my hammies and I have already noticed that the syrians and RCs are starting to not be as active and up so much. It is the total opposite that was happening in the summer.

The chinese though just seem not to have noticed. :roll:

pharnok
10-01-2007, 11:15 AM
I will take him as soon as I can. The longer he spends outside his cage the more active he seems. But once he's back in his cage he settles down and goes to sleep. He's also plump compared to my other hams.