PDA

View Full Version : Mapplewell show

Trina
09-23-2007, 11:55 AM
hiya everyone. ive been wanting to enter my dwarfies into a hmaster show however if i try to pick them up from there cage with my hand they bite me. But if i pick them up in a toilet tube and tip them onto my hand there fine. So i was looking around and found that theres a show at Mapplewell on the 13th of october. Does anybody know if i will be handling my hammys there or will it be the judge? i would be greatfull for anyhelp.

Jane
09-23-2007, 11:57 AM
Well even if you don't enter them I'm dragging you along with me :lol:

Trina
09-23-2007, 12:05 PM
Well even if you don't enter them I'm dragging you along with me :lol: haha well if i dont enter im always willing to come and watch other hammys :D

Bunsey
09-23-2007, 12:20 PM
i'd love to go because otherwise the next one for me is Lymm, but i think mapplewell is a little too far for me :cry:

Holly
09-23-2007, 12:53 PM
We'll be there :)

hiya everyone. ive been wanting to enter my dwarfies into a hmaster show however if i try to pick them up from there cage with my hand they bite me. But if i pick them up in a toilet tube and tip them onto my hand there fine. So i was looking around and found that theres a show at Mapplewell on the 13th of october. Does anybody know if i will be handling my hammys there or will it be the judge? i would be greatfull for anyhelp.

Do you mean the pet class? In the main show they are always handled by the judge so he/she doesn't know who they belong to - I assume you know that already, but just making sure!

In pets it seems to be different each time and who handles them seems to depend on the judge at the time. We've had hammies in four pet classes and twice the judge handled and twice we did whilst being asked questions.

I'm not sure how you would find out in advance - maybe Souffle will know who the judge is and what their preference is?

Spuds Mum
09-23-2007, 02:09 PM
We'll be there too Trina :x
If you are talking about your dwarfies from Rotherham, they are still young aren't they? If you continue with your taming and keep handling them each night they may be a lot tamer by Mapplewell as it is still early days yet :D only a fortnight since you got them! I'd say keep at the taming - getting them more and more used to you and see how they are a little nearer the time. You may find that, all of a sudden they realise that nice things happen when they are handled (treats/runs in balls etc) and suddenly can't wait to climb on your hands. Here's hoping anyway - I would love to see them again and have a proper look at your argente campbells :oops: *fingers crossed for you*

souffle
09-23-2007, 03:16 PM
The judge for dwarfs in the main show is Jean Tye who is very experienced with handling however for your first show and as your hammies are young it would be a good idea to enter them in pets first and then you can watch the main show and see what happens before deciding if you would like to try this. That way you can decide on the day if you want to enter pets where as in main show you have to enter in advance and also hire a show pen. I am not sure who the pet judge will be as it is usually decided on the day.
One thing about Mapplewell you should all note is that it is the AGM that day so most of the regulars and all members who attend will be expected to attend this which means there will be less people miling around to talk hammies and I do not think there is racing at this show. You must be a member to attend the AGM. You can still attend though and look at the hammies and enter pets no problem at the show.
If you enter main show you also have to arrive in time for the start of judging around 10.30am and cannot leave till the show is over usually around 4pm.
If you enter main show you must be a member to collect any trophies and points for your classes won. You do not have to be a member to enter though and can still win just not collect prizes!
You should persevere with your babies and keep up the taming and they will soon be fine with you. Check out the taming article in the articles section. We got our two the same day and they are nice and tame and happy to be handled now. (They don't seem to like each other however!!!!!) Argentes are often the more difficult to tame, something in their genes I think! Don't worry though they will get there soon.

Holly
09-24-2007, 01:17 AM
One thing about Mapplewell you should all note is that it is the AGM that day so most of the regulars and all members who attend will be expected to attend this which means there will be less people miling around to talk hammies and I do not think there is racing at this show. You must be a member to attend the AGM.

Hmm....this might be a problem for me as I will be bringing three children aged 7, 8 and 10 with me and will not be able to leave them for long periods to be in a meeting (though I'd be very interested to see what goes on). How long does it last generally?

As Caramel will still be nursing a litter (hopefully) she won't be coming anyway but I was planning on entering Rolo as he will be just old enough.

Will I have to be in the meeting, souffle? If so I'm thinking we might give this one a miss and all come to Lymm instead as I can't leave the children for long periods - they aren't mine and I have to look after them!

souffle
09-24-2007, 02:26 AM
Last year the AGM lasted a couple of hours and was in the afternoon I think but I am not sure how long this years will be. The schedule says pets are judged at 2pm and does not mention racing. You do not need to attend the AGM unless you want to and I would be happy to pass on apologies from anyone who wants to send them.

Holly
09-24-2007, 02:43 AM
So could I still come to the show but not attend the meeting? It wouldn't be possible for me to leave the kids outside for two hours. It's a shame as I'd have liked to attend out of interest.

I've already promised them they can come to this show otherwise I'd consider leaving them at home. I'll have to make sure I'm child-free for next years AGM.

lau200
09-24-2007, 07:36 AM
awww i really wish i could go but i'm on holiday :( hopefully i can make the next one though :D

souffle
09-24-2007, 08:56 AM
They can still come to the show and sit in the hall and play games etc while you are sitting in on the meeting Holly thats no problem. Pophammy will be there. Unfortunatly there is no park outside this show but you could bring drawing stuff and games for them. No need to leave them outside :lol:

Spuds Mum
09-24-2007, 01:15 PM
I think we will be bringing Rosie too, Holly, and I'm sure that she and Pophammy will be able to keep them amused (or at least out of trouble :x ) for a couple of hours if you are happy for her to keep an eye on them.
I think we are going to be entering Butterbean and Dubaku this show (got to dive in to showing sooner or later!). It will be nice to see Dubaku and Rolo near to each other (though we will have to make sure that we remember our pen numbers correctly! :x
Dubaku seems to have huge ears and feet at the moment so I am not sure how he will do, but I think we will give it a go!

Holly
09-24-2007, 01:21 PM
They can still come to the show and sit in the hall and play games etc while you are sitting in on the meeting Holly thats no problem. Pophammy will be there. Unfortunatly there is no park outside this show but you could bring drawing stuff and games for them. No need to leave them outside :lol:

Well that should be ok - it's just that it's not my boy I'm bringing (he's going to Wembley with his dad!) it's my nephew and two friends children, Josh and Sophie. I'm not sure I trust them without me to keep an eye on them but if Pophammy and Rosie can keep an eye on them, I'm sure that would be ok.

I think we are going to be entering Butterbean and Dubaku this show (got to dive in to showing sooner or later!). It will be nice to see Dubaku and Rolo near to each other (though we will have to make sure that we remember our pen numbers correctly!
Dubaku seems to have huge ears and feet at the moment so I am not sure how he will do, but I think we will give it a go!

That's great , it will be lovely to see Dubaku and I've been dying for a good look at the lovely Butterbean since THAT photo!

Rolo has enormous ears as well - hope he grows into them from a showing perspective but it's very, very cute :wink:

Spuds Mum
09-24-2007, 01:26 PM
I will get Rosie to bring a couple of Nintendo Ds and a few games (no she's not spoiled enough to have two - embarrassed to admit one is mine! :oops: :lol: ) and I'm sure it will do Rosie some good as well, I think she was a little bit shy of Pophammy - just because she seemed so self-assured and confident! Rosie isnt normally shy but sometimes she needs a little push to make the effort, so it may be good all round! :D

Holly
09-24-2007, 01:36 PM
I will get Rosie to bring a couple of Nintendo Ds and a few games (no she's not spoiled enough to have two - embarrassed to admit one is mine! :oops: :lol: )

Ha! I've got one as well :oops:
Mine's white and my favourite games are Nintendogs (Dalmation), Pokemon (I'm playing Pearl just now but have got a bit stuck) and - you guessed it - HAMSTERZ!!!! (I don't even play the grown-up's games, how embarrassing am I??

I'll get the kids to bring theirs as well, if Sam is there he can play mine (perhaps he'll unstick me on Pokemon :wink: )

Spuds Mum
09-24-2007, 01:40 PM
I love hamsterz - but I also like Arthur and the invisible game and loads of Sudoku/brain training type of stuff. My DS is black and goes most places in my bag :oops: We have tons of games so we will bring some to keep them amused! :D

souffle
09-24-2007, 02:56 PM
I think Pophammy is pen stewarding but if not she will probably draw or something. She is usually shy unless hamsters are involved! She has only got a game boy but has some great Hamtaro games on it so I will tell her to take it for the others to try. It is pink!

Trina
09-25-2007, 07:55 AM
Well thanks for all the replies. i got them from the rotherham show last time yes :D i will try my best to stop them from biting when i try to get them out of there cage. I am wanting to enter them into the pet show not the main one. They get on very well together.

trina

Jane
09-25-2007, 09:41 AM
I think I'll be there with Charlie for pets probably...I know I was thinking about entering the main show but..yeah :lol: :?

oh and about the shyness, haha I can't help being shy cos you all seem so confident and you've been to so many shows and I'm just stood there like...umm.. XD LOL at rotherham I was stood outside the tent like 'we can't go in there' :roll: :roll:

Spuds Mum
09-25-2007, 10:02 AM
oh and about the shyness, haha I can't help being shy cos you all seem so confident

I'll let you in on a secret Jane - most people feel exactly the same - I am always nervous that I'll say something stupid! :oops: But I learned a long time ago that if you just take a deep breathe, smile and show an interest in other people, you can usually seem really confident and make new friends easily :x

Remember - most of us have had a few more years experience/practice at it than you! :? :cry: :wink:

Jane
09-25-2007, 10:11 AM
Remember - most of us have had a few more years experience/practice at it than you! :? :cry: :wink:

That makes me even more nervous hahaha

:lol:

Spuds Mum
09-25-2007, 10:26 AM
Well we don't suddenly reach a certain age and turn into either ogres or super confident people Jane.

It only comes with practice (and it gets easier the more you do it)

Anyway - you are doing ok- we had a good conversation at Rotherham didn't we? Oh and just to illustrate my point - I ! :x did do something idiot ( I called Trina's campbells - Robos) and I survived didn't I??? :x :wink: :x

Trina
10-02-2007, 12:27 PM
Well we don't suddenly reach a certain age and turn into either ogres or super confident people Jane.

It only comes with practice (and it gets easier the more you do it)

Anyway - you are doing ok- we had a good conversation at Rotherham didn't we? Oh and just to illustrate my point - I ! :x did do something idiot ( I called Trina's campbells - Robos) and I survived didn't I??? :x :wink: :x

haha yes you did :D i was going to tell you they were campbells but then i would have felt rude :?

Spuds Mum
10-02-2007, 12:32 PM
:twisted: mmm are you going to Mapplewell Trina? I may just turn into an ogre after all if you are being cheeky :twisted: :x :x only joking. I think I just saw them all curled up and as they are argente (or I think they are - or am I being an idiot again? :oops: )I just saw the colour and assumed ! :x But if you'll forgive me for making a mistake about your babies I will never make that mistake about them again!
How's the taming coming on? Are you any nearer to them crawling onto your hand?

Trina
10-08-2007, 09:14 AM
:twisted: mmm are you going to Mapplewell Trina? I may just turn into an ogre after all if you are being cheeky :twisted: :x :x only joking. I think I just saw them all curled up and as they are argente (or I think they are - or am I being an idiot again? :oops: )I just saw the colour and assumed ! :x But if you'll forgive me for making a mistake about your babies I will never make that mistake about them again!
How's the taming coming on? Are you any nearer to them crawling onto your hand?

the taming has gone very well so far. they love to climb all over me :D however they hate me picking them up from there cage using my hand :? they just bite me for some reason

souffle
10-08-2007, 11:25 AM
The in cage biting is very common and is called cage aggression or as we call it 'cage rage'. They are defending their territory. I would say to only take them out only using a ball, box or toilet roll tube. Take them well away from the cage and then play with them. Good work for getting them nice and tame Trina :lol:

Spuds Mum
10-08-2007, 11:28 AM
Yes well done Trina! :x
Ice went through a real period where she would rush for us as soon as we opened the cage door (and not to say hello either :evil: )
She's fine again now, but when she was evil Ice :twisted: we used to get her out of her cage by putting her play ball up to the door!