PDA

View Full Version : Best food?

Jessalina
09-16-2007, 03:49 PM
What would you recommend as the best food for Syrian hamsters?
Erm, that's it really :P I'm in the UK if that helps :)

babyboos
09-16-2007, 05:04 PM
A good complete dried mix such as Harry Hamster, something with a decent list of natural ingredients and protein, not too cheap such as WAGG or Tesco Value unless you want to supplement, and don't choose one with too many peanuts in it as these are just like chocolate for humans nice as a treat ONLY.

Holly
09-17-2007, 03:20 AM
We also recommend Harry Hamster - and if you have a Wilkinson's near you it's only 1.19 a bag!

Jessalina
09-17-2007, 06:49 AM
There isn't a Wilkinson's in Cardiff but there is one in Aberdare where my grandmother lives so I could stock up on Harry Hamster there when I visit. Sounds like a bargain!
It would be nice if Pets at Home would stock small animal foods other than their own brand though :roll: Incidentally, is their own brand hamster food any good? I think I may have read somewhere that it has quite a lot of peanuts in it. Hmm.
I think I will be getting the Harry Hamster anyway (when I get my hammy), it sounds like the best option :) Only the best for my fur babies :lol:

souffle
09-17-2007, 07:48 AM
I would not use the P@H stuff as it contains too much sugar. Bye the way you are quite near to some very good breeders when you are looking for a hammy. Towyvale is down your way and Tristar are in Bristol. There are often shows around Cardiff and Bristol too :lol:

Holly
09-17-2007, 07:58 AM
I would not use the P@H stuff as it contains too much sugar. Bye the way you are quite near to some very good breeders when you are looking for a hammy. Towyvale is down your way and Tristar are in Bristol. There are often shows around Cardiff and Bristol too :lol:

Don't forget Basia! I know she isn't in Cardiff but she isn't far away - and she'll hopefully have a litter ready for new homes in early/mid November :wink:

Jessalina
09-17-2007, 10:55 AM
Ooh, I will bear them in mind, thank you :D

I would not use the P@H stuff as it contains too much sugar.
I won't bother with the Pets at Home food then. It's crazy how many pet foods there are that are completely unsuitable for the animals they are intended for :roll:

Basia
09-17-2007, 03:13 PM
Hedgehog Hams are actually in Cardiff. :)
My two came from there and they have wonderful temperments.

babyboos
09-17-2007, 07:19 PM
Especially as they sell this for use with dwarves too and they really need a low sugar diet.

I use Harry although it is best to ask the breeder you get your hamster from what they use and get the same at least to begin with.