PDA

View Full Version : Torn out nail??

Holly
09-05-2007, 02:55 AM
My friend's hamster, Tinsel (who has been pictured on here before when he's been staying for his holidays) has apparently managed to pull out or bend back one of his toenails. My friend will take a picture today for me to post here as I'm not sure what she should do about it?

I've told her to watch him closely when he comes to see if he's running and climbing normally or if it seems to be bothering him. I'm going to send her the nail clipping article but I'm pretty sure his nails aren't too long as he only left here about 3 weeks ago and they weren't then.

souffle
09-05-2007, 05:02 AM
If the nail appears to have gone and there is a wound it needs to be watched very carefully as an infection can get into the bone from a nail bed. It might be worth her popping him in to the vets for a check and some antibiotics if necessary. With them wandering through their wee etc there is a risk of infection. I would make sure she keeps the cage as dry as possible and changes the wet corner daily. Look out for swelling and redness in the toe too. Hope he is OK though. It may just be broken and not actually fully out.

Holly
09-05-2007, 05:13 AM
Thanks for the advice, Souffle - I'll let her know all of that and, if she manages to get a clear picture of the injury, I'll post it here.

Holly
09-07-2007, 01:12 AM
Well Tinsel went to the vet on Wednesday afternoon and the vet said it isn't infected and to keep an eye on it.

Unfortunately she can't get a clear picture of the injury so I can't post it here which is a shame. I'll find out today how he's doing.

He's such a cutie:

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o209/Holly_Day/IMG_4213.jpg

Spuds Mum
09-07-2007, 09:48 AM
He really is a beauty isn't he? Hope his nail grows back soon *ouch*