PDA

View Full Version : HELP

peanut25
08-31-2007, 07:16 PM
my hammie butterball has a gapping hole on the side of her head right under her ear. Its bleeding slightly and has been cleaned up. The vet isn't opened until 9 which is 11 hours away. what should I do?

Holly
08-31-2007, 11:24 PM
How did it happen? Was it a fall (if so she might have a serious head injury - as well as other injuries) or a bite? If it's a bite and it's stopped bleeding I'd have thought it could wait until the vet opens - infection in an open wound would be the big risk but that would take time to set in.

You need to get her to the vet when it opens but, in the meantime, if she's not moving around and cleaning it herself then she might be more seriously injured as hamsters can only lose a small amount of blood before they become really poorly -as they've only a small amount in the first place. If she's not moving you need to get an emergency vet I'd have thought.

If she's moving about normally and it's stopped bleeding I'd suggest you leave it alone but go to the vet as soon as it opens.

souffle
09-01-2007, 05:53 AM
Good advice from Holly there. Hope you are able to get her seen asap. Romove any toys, wheel etc from her cage so she rests as much as possible and allows to wound to seal over. Has she had any sign of a lump there? It could be abcess which has burst.

peanut25
09-01-2007, 03:35 PM
I unfortunately had to put Butterball to sleep. It was the humane thing to do and as much as it pains me that she is not here with me anymore it was her time to go. The hole was actually caused by an abscess that had burst. She has been having seizures for the past year and a half, unable to hold herself up, not gaining any weight and not able to live life as a hamster should. The vet said there wasn't anything they could have done to make her life any better because she had other medical problems that were not able to be treated and that she was in pain.

I had Butterball from the day she was born. Her mother Whisper tried to kill her when she was just a baby, she ended up getting wet tail, and she just wasn't right from the beginning but I kept her in a bin cage with plenty of food, water, toys, she had one of those race tracks, was able to walk around on the floor without being in a wheel with supervision and she was loved beyond measures.

I will miss Butterball but it was the humane thing to do. She will be buried with her Father and mother. Too bad they don't live that long.

souffle
09-02-2007, 01:56 AM
I am so sorry to hear of your loss Peanut. You gave her peaceful rest when her need was greatest and that was a brave and kind thing to do. It is always hard to let someone we love go especially when they have been as special as Butterball. Rest in peace little one and play happily at the bridge. :(

Holly
09-02-2007, 02:02 AM
RIP Butterball :(

pophammy
09-02-2007, 03:39 AM
Poor Butterball. It was kindest to let her go if she was in pain and I'm sure she knew how much she was loved. R.I.P little one :cry:

Basia
09-02-2007, 04:39 AM
So sorry to hear your sad news, RIP Butterball.

Spuds Mum
09-02-2007, 01:42 PM
So sorry to hear of the loss of Butterball peanut. Sleep well little girl.

leigh
09-03-2007, 12:22 AM
Sorry for your loss. It sounds like that you did have a good time to gether and that you were a real good mam to her.

suga
09-03-2007, 09:26 AM
Sad :-(
RIP little one.