PDA

View Full Version : Success of Housing Multiple Chinese '11

Christmas_hamster
07-20-2011, 07:28 PM
So last year I asked this because I was hoping to shed some light on housing this species together. I found some interesting information and I am hoping to hear more since there are many new members since last year. I'll just quote the original topic since it's all written out already (down below). :3 If anyone that never posted last year can reply that would be great. For those that posted, but may want to update that would be cool too. And for anyone that posted last time, but have new hamsters since then- please post away! Once I'm done, I'll post what I got in and I will also combine what I learn this year with last years 'results'. This isn't any exact science, I'm not trying to prove anything. I'm curious and so I am doing what I can to learn something new, and collecting experience and anecdotal information. We can always learn something new after all.

As long as I can remember I've heard that Chinese hams often don't get along once they reach maturity and should be housed alone. Then I hear more and more that only females can't live together successfully. Others claim that they get along fine. There are a lot of mixed messages about this and I have to wonder for those that have tried what the mistake may have been. Perhaps the cage was too small or something or perhaps it is the species. I can't find Chinese hamsters here so I can't try myself (though it can be only a matter of time seeing as suddenly there are WWs and robos here when there never was before). So I would like to know whether generally if Chinese hams can be housing together.

So for those that have or had a pair or group of Chinese hamsters I would be very grateful if you could answer some questions for me. Even if you had them 'before you knew about hamsters', the info is still appreciated.

1. How many hamsters were in this group?
2. What was the gender of these hamsters?
3. What kind of cage were they in? (A brand/model name or dimensions)
4. How many wheels did they have?
5. Can you please describe their set up? (How many beds, what kind of toys, was it crowded, etc)
6. Did they need to be separated?
7. Were they siblings?

Thanks for anyone that can answer!

DoomSlave
07-20-2011, 09:13 PM
1. How many hamsters were in this group? 2
2. What was the gender of these hamsters? Both males
3. What kind of cage were they in? (A brand/model name or dimensions) 40 Gallon Tank (I hated it only because it was heavy, became humid, and was difficult to clean).
4. How many wheels did they have? 2
5. Can you please describe their set up? (How many beds, what kind of toys, was it crowded, etc) I had two separate houses and multiple toilet paper rolls. I also had two food bowls and water bottles. I had two of everything. The set up wasn't crowded as I didn't have many toys because they seemed to be interested in their wheels mostly. I used carefresh paper bedding.
6. Did they need to be separated? They needed to be separated twice only in their entire lives when they started what looked like bullying each other. I put them together after one day each time.
7. Were they siblings? No they were not siblings. One of them was about a month older than the other. I decided that he was lonely and bored and introduced a younger chinese about one month after I got the first.

I hope this helps in your research Christmas_Hamster.

Christmas_hamster
07-23-2011, 10:22 AM
Thank you very much. :D

,roborovskihamster?
07-23-2011, 12:30 PM
1. How many hamsters were in this group? Two
2. What was the gender of these hamsters? Females
3. What kind of cage were they in? (A brand/model name or dimensions) Savic Cambridge, not sure of dimensions:-(
4. How many wheels did they have? One, they both shared it(a)
5. Can you please describe their set up? (How many beds, what kind of toys, was it crowded, etc) Back then, chinese were my first hammies, I didn't have may toys or anything. In their set up, there was two houses which they shared, one water bottle, one wheel, one food bowl and a couple of toys.
6. Did they need to be separated? Yes, at the age of one they had a very serious fight, causing one too die.
7. Were they siblings? Yes, well from what I know of. Might not of been, but either way they were brought up together from babies.

I've only ever had two chinese, mimi and chichi. I prefer Roborovski's, I've had over 30 of these guys:-), I've bred them three times too!