PDA

View Full Version : Help requested on breeding from my LH sable roan Syrian

Spuds Mum
08-16-2007, 12:30 PM
Princess, my LH sable roan has previously had a litter from my SH mink, and produced a sable, a mink roan and a sable roan, all SH.
From this I think that she also carries cinammon (as she produced a mink roan).
I would now like to have some LH pups. I have two LH males who will shortly be ready to breed from (a black eyed cream banded and a yellow).
I was wondering whether either of them would be suitable? I have read that the yellow will not show as tortoishell on sable, although future litters may show this. But are there any other effects i should be aware of?
I am also a bit concerned about the cream being banded (although i am pretty sure that he isn't roan too (he has no discernable brindling/ticking etc.). Does anyone have any advice?
I should hopefully shortly be getting a LH cream satin male from Carrington hams. Do you think it might be better to wait for this one to mature?
Sorry, I know - too many questions, but all advice greatfully received!!

souffle
08-16-2007, 01:13 PM
I am not that great on the genetics of such complex colour combinations. I personally would not risk mating her to the banded cream. As she is roan she will definitly carry white belly gene and if the banded did you would possibly get anophthalmic whites. An animal does not need to be roan to carry white belly. They can be banded or dominant spot. I would never advise mating pattern to pattern as you cannot tell with a banded animal if it carries or not. Unless you are very sure of the genetic history of the banded I would not risk it. It depends what colour you are trying to produce really but I would go with a straight colour for the roan female. Sheryl and Paul at Carrington are good on genetics so it may be an idea to seek help from them. It is hard to produce a really good tort as the colour distribution needs to be nice and even but a good tort is a beautiful sight I think.

Spuds Mum
08-16-2007, 01:46 PM
Thanks Souffle,
I am not necessarily going for tortoishells on this mating but would love to get some LH sable roans, so I think your advice is probably really good on waiting for the cream LH after talking to Sheryl & Paul. Her last litter produced a lovely sable roan SH and if I could replicate this with a long haired I would be really happy! So I guess the less confusing way of doing this would be to wait for the cream. The mink roan we got from her last litter wasn't too exciting though still pretty (certainly not as beautifully marked as the sable roan). The other thing was that on her last litter, she took a long time to get into motherhood and out of about 11 she cannibalised all but 4 before she really became a good Mum, and I was advised by another hamster breeder that it would be a good idea to not leave her too long before breeding again. That's why I am thinking about it now, but obviously I want her to have a healthy litter. So I think the best thing is for me to wait until I have a good cream to mate her to!
Thanks again - its good to be able to get a more informed view!

babyboos
08-20-2007, 08:24 AM
I would wait for the Cream
don't worry unduly about the cannabilism
I have had mums go on to have 13 in their next litter after maybe one or even none in their first

Spuds Mum
08-20-2007, 08:33 AM
Thanks Babyboos, that's reassuring. I know that it is natural and that one cannot do anything about it, but it is heartbreaking to see the litter disappearing one by one isn't it. So you wouldn't agree that she needs to be re-mated asap? I think after the advice and reading I have been doing that whatever the case, I will be better to wait until I get the cream and he matures. Just for interest, we have just put a really cool video of the survivors of her first litter on our homepage - it shows that at least they grew up healthy and energetic (although slightly mad) - SO if you would like to see some hamsters trying to fly..... :shock: :o :lol:
http://www.madabouthamsters.com/
(oh and don't worry - we did take the toy away after this video - we were too worried they would end up hurting themselves)

souffle
08-20-2007, 09:49 AM
Oh Wow Bungee jumping hammies. One of them has its mind set on jumping over the edge. It is sure on a mission. :lol: They are all lovely. You will need to put a hammock under the toy so they can still use it. :lol:

Hana
08-20-2007, 10:10 AM
:lol: :lol: aww there so cute and funny!