PDA

View Full Version : Please help :'(

RawrRobynn
07-12-2011, 08:46 AM
i have just come home from school, to my mum telling me that Nibbs is ill. she said she had a "seizure" this morning, and since then has been really weak, too weak to climb up her ladders to her bed, so my when my dad brought her bed down for him, she attacked him. ever since she has been all curled up and shivering, i dont know whats happening. please help me, try and tell me. she really does look like shes going to die :/

i have no idea what to do, please tell me :'(

LocoRocoPanda
07-12-2011, 08:48 AM
Is there anyway you can take her to the vets? How old is she?

If she's too far gone for that stay with her, give her some porridge or soft food, make sure she has water and keep her company. Let her know that if she has to go it's okay and that you understand.

Lydia Mae
07-12-2011, 09:03 AM
Possibly a stroke? My Chiggy had a stroke a couple of weeks ago and turned out like that. I would strongly advise rushing him to a vets! I hope everything goes ok for you xx

Hamtastic
07-12-2011, 09:47 AM
I would try to have her be seen by a veterinarian. Just keep her comfortable in the meantime, no loud noises, maybe block some sunlight with curtains or a towel.

RawrRobynn
07-12-2011, 10:00 AM
Thank you all so much, i cant take her to a vet as i dont really want to move her at all, she wont let me put my hand inside the cage without attacking it, she also seems to be pulling out her furr, so much she bleeds :(

Hamtastic
07-12-2011, 10:03 AM
Could you take her to the vet in her cage? She sounds like she needs medical attention...

RawrRobynn
And she is 3years and a half.

linford27
can you 'chase' or tempt her into her little house/bed a box to carry her in? so you dont have to pick her up?
is the cage too big to take her to vets? theres nothing she'll go into that you can transport her in?

Hamtastic
07-12-2011, 10:05 AM
Oh... ok that's quite a respectable age for a hamster. Then it's probably her time now as she's an old lady :) Then just keep her comfortable, offer her some baby food on a teaspoon (no preservatives, onion, garlic, or spices in ingredients), a piece of cucumber--easy foods that contain liquids so she's hydrated. Keep her relaxed as much as you can.

RawrRobynn
07-12-2011, 10:05 AM
i cant go inside the cage at all, she just snaps at my hand. she cant move at all, and by the little nudge she rolls onto her side. because we was going to take her to the vets, but when we lift her cage up she like squeeks in pain :( i really dont know what to do.

RawrRobynn
07-12-2011, 10:06 AM
Oh, okay, thats what we thought. i just hate seeing her in so much pain :(

Hamtastic
07-12-2011, 10:07 AM
On another hand, if she's clearly in distress as you describe it, and if she's really pretty far from saving and living longer (3.5 years old is quite old), she might need some assistance from a vet to pass on :( If she doesn't calm down soon, I'd make an appointment after all.

linford27
07-12-2011, 10:09 AM
ok, you basically have 2 choices
1/ you can accept that it may be time. give her some porridge on a spoon and keep her relaxed, blocking out any noise and sunlight. perhaps put her onto her bed if you use some gloves?
2. use gloves and take her to the vets. however its up to you and it may just cause uneceassry stress if theres nothing the vet can do

what do you think?

RawrRobynn
07-12-2011, 10:09 AM
she seems to just be "sleeping" but she is still shaking-not as much, but when she wakes up. she is still sleeping but pulling her furr out :/- is it worth, waiting til the morning? if she still fighting going to the vets?

linford27
07-12-2011, 10:11 AM
yes, see if she holds on until morning. if so, take her to vets.
for tonight give her some porridge and keep her hydrated with cucumber etc.
can you put her onto her nest with gloves? it may help her relax if you can do it without her squeaking

Ham Ham Hamstery
07-12-2011, 10:13 AM
try getting her out with a cup tommorrow morning

racinghamster
07-12-2011, 10:33 AM
Just wanted to add my support to what the other members have suggested hun. Keep her quiet and make sure she has a little piece of apple or cucumber, or offer her the spout of her water bottle to see if she wants a drink. Sometimes they are really thirsty and appreciate this, but don`t force it, just hold the spout in front of her mouth and see if she will lick it while you hold the bottle steady.

It can be awkward when they are acting this way, but try not to let it prevent you from picking her up in a towel and popping her into a carrier to take her to your vets. Keep your hands away from her teeth though! If she`s pulling her fur out she may be aggitated by something, or she may have a neurological disorder going on. If she had a stroke, she would have some paralysis or a `tilt` going on.

She`s a good age, but your vet might be able to do something for her if it`s something he/she can identify.

In the meantime, keep calm and try not to disturb her too much. Just make sure she`s drinking and managing to eat something. If she won`t eat (even if she can) that`s not a good sign. Rest is best and monitoring her. The squeaking is worrying though unless she`s doing this as a protest rather than feeling pain.

RawrRobynn
07-12-2011, 10:37 AM
guess ill just have to keep with her and make sure shes okay :)
Thank you all so much :)

fluffymunchkins
07-12-2011, 01:10 PM
It sounds like she is ready to pass to the bridge hun.
If you feel it would be better for her to stay in the comfort of her home rather then stress her with the vets. Then let her know its ok to pass and give her lots of yummy treats.
All the best, I send my prayers to you both x

AliKati
07-12-2011, 02:18 PM
I haven't got any other advice but just that we're here for you through this difficult time, and I hope everything works out. I'm sure, though she might be in discomfort, she is glad you are near.

Pompompoms
07-12-2011, 03:55 PM
I have nothing to add advice wise as I'd just be repeating the excellent advice already given. It's very very hard when our lovely friends are coming to the end or very unwell, we will all give you all the advice we can, and all the support we can whatever the out come. Hugs to you and your lovely ham.

RawrRobynn
07-13-2011, 10:31 AM
thank you all so much, she has picked up a lot since then, so we are not going to take her to the vets. however, i think she is ready to go. it wont be long. :)

dwarf
07-13-2011, 11:12 AM
i have just come home from school, to my mum telling me that Nibbs is ill. she said she had a "seizure" this morning, and since then has been really weak, too weak to climb up her ladders to her bed, so my when my dad brought her bed down for him, she attacked him. ever since she has been all curled up and shivering, i dont know whats happening. please help me, try and tell me. she really does look like shes going to die :/

i have no idea what to do, please tell me :'(

well looks like she might have a bad tumor . Thats why she scratches herself too much and bleeds. Since she is pretty old medications wouldn't help much and i would suggest that you take her to the vet and "put her down" it would honestly end her suffering and help you sleep better, i would highly suggest as many rodents get this as the get old and to avoid her suffering please put her down

RawrRobynn
07-29-2011, 09:56 AM
Well, i couldnt get myself round to take her to the vet-everytime i tried. it hurt to much. so i left her, and just today. infact, just then. she has gone. but its okay-least shes not hurting anymore.

suga
07-29-2011, 09:59 AM
Sorry to read she has gone. Sleep well little one

Gillzy
07-29-2011, 10:06 AM
RIP Nibbs. Play well at the bridge. x

Kristin
07-29-2011, 11:03 AM
RIP little one. You can no play with all fellow hammies at the bridge
I hope your ok hun -big hugs-
xxx

Rhino&Co
07-29-2011, 12:11 PM
So sorry to hear about Nibbs:(

sammyandralph
07-29-2011, 01:09 PM
Sorry for your loss,I'm sure Nibbs is a lot happier now the pain is gone *hugs*

snugglyjen
07-29-2011, 01:24 PM
so sorry for your loss...hope Nibs is in a lovely place...tc x

LoveMyHams
07-29-2011, 01:38 PM
My first hamster was named Nibbles so it was really heartbreaking to her about her struggle. Maybe my Nibbles and your Nibbles are playing together in heaven :)

MzWiz0915
07-29-2011, 01:38 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss. Nibbs was lucky to be so loved. RIP little one.

Hamtastic
07-30-2011, 12:35 AM
It is a relief for your hammy to not be hurting anymore. May she find the Bridge an enjoyable place and get her well deserved rest there. I'm sure her being old did not make it too much easier on you though--three years is a long time to get used to someone :(

RawrRobynn
07-30-2011, 05:15 AM
thank you all so much, i just think of the brightside. shes not in any pain now. so im happy-because i know shes not hurting. thank you all so much <3