PDA

View Full Version : Water bottle frustration

Kristin
07-05-2011, 12:53 PM
Evening all, hope your all well :)
I didn't know where to put this so I hope its in the right section, if not I do apologise :)
Anywho I need help with my water bottle and the Zoozone 2. I have a good sized water bottle for Harley and realised, when I got the Zoozone 2, that connecting the water bottle to the cage was going to be tricky. I have been attaching the water bottle to the outside of the cage using celotape. It works but im going through one hell of a lot of it each day when I change his water.
So for all you Zoozone owners out there how do you connect your water bottle to the outside or the inside of this cage?

Lots of help, tips and tricks would be great :D

Thanks for reading ♥

CoolcatNatNat44
07-05-2011, 12:57 PM
Im using cello tape too! But im soon getting some wire and making a holder from that

Amethyst_ice
07-05-2011, 12:58 PM
I have got two hair bobbles, popped one around, threaded the other through and balance off the top. I did have velcro that worked well, i need to get some more though x

gellerbing
07-05-2011, 02:11 PM
i use velcro on the inside with an extra bit attatching the bottle too to keep it more secure

Pomegranate
07-05-2011, 02:11 PM
I made the bottle taller by sticking an ex-whisky cork to the top and then bent a bit of wire to fit the holes like a conventional holder (the ZZ2 was second-hand, so I'm not sure if the small holes are on everyone's or if that was the previous owner's idea). There's a photo in this post (http://www.hamstercentral.com/community/housing/4937-lets-see-your-cages-109.html#post199951), the second image down. :) It's not too pretty, but it does the job, and I can change the water without waking her up.

AliKati
07-05-2011, 02:21 PM
Mine is only a temporary solution too, but I use masking tape, which is sort of re-usable for quite a while before I have to change it. :)

$hAzZa
07-05-2011, 02:29 PM
I did this with a cable tie;
http://i1007.photobucket.com/albums/af196/ShAzZa_UK/DSC04457.jpg

racinghamster
07-06-2011, 01:23 AM
This is what I do with these perspex cages. Place sn empty bottle in the spout hole. Take a marker pen/felt tip and holding the bottle upright while in the hole, put two marks on either side where you want your wire holes to be. Take a metal knitting needle and place it over a gas rink in the kitchen. Once the end of the needle is hot, gently melt holes in the perspex where you made your two pen marks. The plastic melts easily so you just apply a little pressure when pushing the holes through.

Once the holes are made, you just pop a regular bottle wire around the bottle and hook the wire ends into the holes. Voila. ;) Just take your time. It`s worth doing because it means you don`t need to use tape or velcro or anything else that will mark your cage.

This can be a real gripe with perspex caging because the bottle holes are usually too high, non existant, or the holes to hook the hanger on are on top of the lid.

My solution works and once done, it`s done.

Redame
07-06-2011, 01:44 AM
I have velcro on the outside of the cage and on my water bottle. It sticks perfectly fine and is ever so easy!

cutehammies
07-06-2011, 03:22 AM
I have a glass tank and so have to have the water bottle inside the cage. You probably want to keep the bottle outside tho don't you?

Well in case you do, i'll just say what I did - I just popped the water bottle inside a kitchen roll tube, cut a hole for the water spout at the right height and buried the end inside the bedding. You need quite a bit of bedding to pack it down, or I've seen people using Jenga blocks etc to make a base to make it sturdier. :)

racinghamster
07-06-2011, 03:54 AM
For a syrian hamster I would want something solid that can`t be knocked over. Making holes in the perspex is the answer, or using the empty bottle with rocks/sand in it to make it heavy would be the two best ideas I would say, or using velcro.

Maybe there should be a `sticky` about this because it always comes up as a problem with perspex or glass tank habitats? It would be nice to have a sticky where people could post all their bottle holder/hanger ideas for others to read. :)

Kristin
07-07-2011, 01:49 AM
Thanks for all your help everyone :)
I agree, a sticky about a thread where everyone can post their ways of attaching their water bottle to perspex/glass tank cages would be a great idea.

Quick update, Harley snuggled into my side the other night and began to groom himself and little Munchkin sat peacefully in my hand and walked from hand to hand. She even came up to the cage to greet me last night when I came home from work ^_^
I believe things are going very well with my hammies ♥