PDA

View Full Version : Where could I find a wooden shelf?

racinghamster
07-05-2011, 02:42 AM
Okay, you guys probably know more websites than I do that sell such things so thought I would pick your brains! :)

I`m looking for something I can fit into one corner of a Gabber Rex tank, that would be roughtly 5" inches in height by 7" inches diameter that is on legs/stilts and maybe had a step or ramp attached?

My chinese hamster Prinny could be doing with a vantage point where she can sit up high and peer out of the perspex lid of her gabber rex! She loves her tea box sleeping house, so I`m looking for something that would fit over the top of this so her little tea box can stay underneath it, but when she`s out and about, I sometimes see her stretching up to see what`s going on, so though if I could find a Trixie shelf on legs that she could easily climb up, this would be a nice adition to her cage, but I can`t find anything really suitable as yet.

Nothing too huge as I don`t want it taking up too much space, just something cornered that suits.

thelittleteacup
07-05-2011, 03:00 AM
i think trixie one would be good! have you tried ebay!? lots of trixie on there! p.s i love hearing about prinny <3

racinghamster
07-05-2011, 03:23 AM
I`ll have a look on ebay teacup, thanks. :) I hav`nt had a lot of time to look this morning!

SnickersTheFirst
07-05-2011, 09:59 AM
I have the Trixie guinea pig shelter in Oscar's cage and he loves it! Although, I got my Dad to saw a couple of inches off of the legs so he could get onto it. :mad:

racinghamster
07-05-2011, 10:02 AM
I hav`nt been able to find anything by Trixie or Hagen so far. I don`t really want a house, just something that would act as a shelf with a ramp or something on legs? I did see a kind of stepping `style` type thing but it was just that....three steps! Most of the other things were hanging accessories.

SnickersTheFirst
07-05-2011, 10:10 AM
I have no idea where you'd get one from now as mine was from Surrey Pets but they have stopped small pet products again. I can't find the one I have anywhere?

SnickersTheFirst
07-05-2011, 10:12 AM
Roof Shelter For Guinea Pigs Cage Run - The Rabbit Hutch Shop.com (http://www.the-rabbit-hutch-shop.com/roof-shelter-for-guinea_pigs-cage-run-tr6226.html)

Here's the one I have. :D

racinghamster
07-05-2011, 10:30 AM
Yes! That`s the sort of thing I was looking for! :) Only problem is it might be a bit too big? Do they do hamster sized ones or just these large sizes?

SnickersTheFirst
07-05-2011, 11:37 AM
This is the only size I've come across. It takes up about 1/3 of the cage but still leaves loads of room beside it for Oscar's Wodent Wheel and other stuff.

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s320/Ronaldo2007_2007/DSCF4421600x450.jpg

This was after I got the legs 'trimmed'.

Pomegranate
07-05-2011, 02:06 PM
I have no idea where you'd get one from now as mine was from Surrey Pets but they have stopped small pet products again. I can't find the one I have anywhere?

They still have the Trixie shelters. :)

Trixie Shelter - Surrey Pet Supplies (http://www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk/trixie-shelter.html)
Trixie Shelter With Steps - Surrey Pet Supplies (http://www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk/trixie-shelter-with-steps.html)

Just not everything else, which is irritating, since I was a couple of days away from ordering a wooden toys haul. :(

racinghamster
07-06-2011, 01:14 AM
They are both great guys, thanks. Just a bit too big for what I need though. They exceed 30cm in length and I`m looking for something around 15cm long. The legs would need shortening aswell as Snickers has done!

It`s a shame they don`t do hamster sized ones rather than these huge sizes. Something half this size would have done the job.

racinghamster
07-06-2011, 02:07 AM
Snickers, could you measure the length and the width only of the top of your shelf for me please? It does`nt matter about the height as I can cut those down, but the measurements online are a little vague.

SnickersTheFirst
07-06-2011, 10:17 AM
It's roughly 29x22cm (lxw) so a bit bigger than you'd want, I think. :D Oscar loves sitting on it though so he can see through the plastic. :mad:

SnickersTheFirst
07-06-2011, 10:19 AM
They still have the Trixie shelters. :)

Trixie Shelter - Surrey Pet Supplies (http://www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk/trixie-shelter.html)
Trixie Shelter With Steps - Surrey Pet Supplies (http://www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk/trixie-shelter-with-steps.html)

Just not everything else, which is irritating, since I was a couple of days away from ordering a wooden toys haul. :(

Ah, it's under reptiles which is why I couldn't find it! :D
They always seem to stop and start selling stuff so when you see it for sale, get in quick! I've been quite lucky both times to get my stuff. :)

racinghamster
07-06-2011, 10:24 AM
Thanks again Snickers. Yes, it is rather large. I think I will probably go for a wooden house and add a log ramp to it. It would serve the same purpose I suppose but it means prinny would have a wooden house underneath rather than her cardboard tea box! :mad:

racinghamster
07-14-2011, 03:42 AM
I thought I would resurect this thread once more to ask if Surrey Pet Supplies are the cheapest for these Trixie shelters? I`ve had a google but SPS do seem to be the cheapest. I don`t see them on equinecaninefeline which is a shame. I`m considering the Trixie shelter and see if I can saw it down and do the same with the legs? Prinny could really do with something elevated as she`s loving her Gabber Rex and I know an upper shelf of some kind would be a bonus for her.

racinghamster
07-14-2011, 04:20 AM
It`s okay....just went mad and ordered both the Trixie shelter AND the Trixie shelter with steps from Surrey pet Supplies! :) Far too big I know, but I plan to do some DIY on at least one of them to make it fit my Gabber Rex without looking as though it`s too large! I also bought a Trixie ladder for £1.24p as I thought these log ladders are always handy to have and at that price, who can argue!

So for a total of £12.91p, I think I got a bargain. :D