PDA

View Full Version : Natural set up`s and accessories for Chinese hamster habitat?

racinghamster
06-30-2011, 05:46 AM
I would love to hear what other chinese hamster people use in their cages/tanks that are more `natural` for a hamster in terms of wood, cork, bark, resin, grasses etc....?

So far, I have a Habba Hut half log (for reptiles), a small fiddlestix bridge, a cardboard eggbox, toilet and kitchen roll tubes and that`s about it!

I`m looking for some feedback from other chinese owners who have used, tried and tested natural accessories and what they thought of them. I`ve just purchased a cork tunnel for Prinny this morning to add to her reportoire! :mad: But need some more ideas.

I`ve steered away from grassy nests and straw/hay procucts for fear they may have sharp edges if chewed as sometimes their construction can have wire or bendy type wood inside that can be like a dagger if exposed, so I would love your opinions on these aswell.

Ministottie
06-30-2011, 06:14 AM
I have a wooden flexible bridge that I use as a ramp for mine, a wooden log with lots of holes in, a stick type thing (meant for reptiles from Surrey Pets), a couple of buried toilet roll tubes and a wooden play house. Granted my set-up osn't completely natural as I have got a plastic cheese house and a plastic wheel but I think its almost there, and Peanut loves it!

thelittleteacup
06-30-2011, 06:26 AM
http://www.hamstercentral.com/community/housing/17881-twinkles-new-bin-cage-extension.html

hello racing hamster!

this is a thread i started on my chinese's twinkles new and improved home! :)

its very natural in the bin cage part....and umm back to things ive learnt about natural products... nothing that they can burrow under thats heavy twinks got hurt this way..a cut on the back of her neck..i think she must have tried to burrow under a heavy wooden box and had trouble getting back out! :( so i make sure i have nothing she can get stuck under now! i use alfalfa hay but i make sure i break it up so its really lose and i use it spareringly to make sure it stays falt on the ground and doesnt poke her in the eye! :o its also more like a dried grass than a hay :s...pets at home do something similar dried grass and flowers ect in that naturals range they do :) she alos likes that! shes also a huge fan of sand...not for cleaning but for digging! umm also wooden logs for climbing :)

hope i helped you a bit :)

how is prinny doing?
x

Fidgetthefirst
06-30-2011, 08:12 AM
I have a syrian, but for my natural set up i have;

- A big wooden log thing meant for Guinea Pigs, but i use it as another level because i put hooks either side to clip onto the cage :)

- 2 Terracotta Plant pots

- Cardboard tubes

- 2 Wooden ladders, which i made myself :)

- And another small wooden 'look out' ledge from pets at home :D

I have a sandbath and i know dwarfs love them :D

racinghamster
06-30-2011, 08:33 AM
Aw, thanks guys for posting. :) Prinny is doing well thanks littleteacup. She`s currently in a Savic Rody, but will soon be in a Gabber rex tank that I recently won off ebay (should have it by Saturday fingers crossed). :)

The reason I`m asking other members for their ideas is because the Gabber rex is bigger in comparison to the Rody, so I began thinking that I could start to look at natural accessories for her since she loves to burrow and tunnel, even though she plays on her regular silent spinner aswell which is`nt exactly natural! :mad:

But everything else she has is wooden or cardboard, so the wheel is the only plastic accessory that she currently has.

Sand....now I`ve been umming and awing over whether to give her some chinchilla sand in a terracota dish. I may just try her with some once she`s in her larger tank and see what she thinks of it.