PDA

View Full Version : Best cleaning solutions for clear perspex?

racinghamster
06-30-2011, 05:36 AM
I thought I would ask everyone what they have used to clean any marks on cages like the gabber Rex/Lux Savic Rody, Ferplast Duna etc, (the clear top part that is) and how well did it work? Sometimes these clear lids can have sticky marks or marks from suckers that held a water bottle, or minor scratches.

I`ve found that rubbing a little olive oil using a soft cloth helps to lubricate the plastic, but fear using anything abrassive due to the fact these tank lids mark really easily and once tarnished, they are difficult to get clean again.

Obviously scratches and cracks won`t come off, but I would be interested to hear what others use (apart from soapy water!) to keep their lids clean and clear?

thelittleteacup
06-30-2011, 06:30 AM
window cleaner! only a little on the outside...and never when its being used on the cage :)

debs
06-30-2011, 06:58 AM
you can use window cleaner?

debs
06-30-2011, 06:59 AM
you can't get rid of there pee marks can't you? :confused::confused:

Katarina
06-30-2011, 07:00 AM
LIttlebit of vodka or gin on a cloth will get rid of the marks from sellotape and suction marks, same as grease marks. Or withe vine vinegar. after just rinse well in the water, and then spray with cage disinfectant.

Katarina
06-30-2011, 07:02 AM
you can't get rid of there pee marks can't you? :confused::confused:

warmed vinegar works well on these, or if you can let it air for few days then descaler for a kettle works wonders!

racinghamster
06-30-2011, 08:16 AM
Interesting! Since I don`t drink alcohol I can`t use vodka! And I only have brown vinegar not white.

Window cleaner? Which type and what does it take off? Does it just polish the perspex or does it remove marks aswell? :) I have a bottle of windowlene but I doubt that`s what you mean?

I won a second hand gabber rex cage for my chinese hamster off ebay and I know it will need some cleaning up (aswell as some rust on the barred lid :roll: but the lid is just chrome so I can sand paper the bars and then fine wire wool to finish off. Some of the rust has also marked the blue base of the cage so again, I will have to clean that off but it should`nt be too much work. I hav`nt got the cage yet but should have it by Saturday. :)