PDA

View Full Version : mesh size?

tammy73
06-29-2011, 03:42 PM
Hi all
Newbie here, quick q - what size mesh will i need to escape proof a zoozone 1 for young (12wk) chinese hamsters? I've seen 6mm mentioned but can't find any that's not expensive ie £25, would 13mm be ok?
Many thanks

fluffymunchkins
06-30-2011, 10:26 AM
13mm is a bit big, as chinese are so slim I would look for 8mm mesh if you can :)
Without high toys you might be alright not meshing, but I owuld to be on the safe side

Pomegranate
06-30-2011, 03:21 PM
Ditto what fluffymunchkins said; 13mm is a bit large for a Syrian's bar spacing, so it's a definite risk for a young, slim Chinese. 6-8mm would be ideal if you can find it. You'll only need a panel for a Zoozone1, which is a lot cheaper than a roll. :) Try ringing up garden centres and hardware stores near you. It shouldn't be that expensive; the last 6mm square mesh panel I bought was £4-something.

tammy73
07-02-2011, 11:17 AM
actually looking into alternative cages as i'm finding good alternatives out there - ferplast duna, rydon mill and home play deluxe xl. thank you for replying though

princessbarbie1988
07-02-2011, 01:17 PM
Sorry to muscle in on your question but I was just wondering is mesh found in a garden centre alright for hamsters? (say if I was to make a bin cage would it be ok to use on the sides?) Would it not be sharp on their feet? I'm only thinking this as normal cages have like a plastic coating on the bars to make them thicker and softer. Is wire mesh ok for them?