PDA

View Full Version : Should i remove the penthouse and tubes?

Marica
06-28-2011, 09:50 AM
i have the hamster heaven cage for Pumba and like most other hamster he likes to nest in it. i have him a year and a half now, but when i got him out of pets at home he was fully grown. so im guessing he's a bit older than a year and a half. back to the point anyway, ive noticed him slowing down but he can get through the tubes great. but he is peeing and all in his nest/penthouse and the smell is so strong even though i clean it nearly every day. so should i get rid of the penthouse and the tubes or just the penthouse? it would be harder though to take the tubes out because i have nothing to cover the holes? any suggestions? thanks :)

Ministottie
06-28-2011, 09:59 AM
You coud leave some of the tubes, but remove the penthouse, making sure he can get in and out of the tubes easily and see how that goes? Then you won't have to block the holes.

racinghamster
06-28-2011, 10:41 AM
There are stoppers you can buy to block off these holes (I`m sure someone will post a link for you about where to buy them! :))

Why not let him use the penthouse, but move it into a corner on the floor of the cage with his bedding still in it? That way he can still sleep in something familiar, but won`t need to climb up the tubes to get to it? Especially if he`s getting older. better to make the move now than confuse him when he`s much older and not so keen on change.

SnickersTheFirst
06-28-2011, 11:04 AM
I'd remove the lot tbh. The tubes have quite tight corners so it's hard for the hamster to move around. Maybe give him an open nest or a cardboard box that can be disposed of if he pees in it?

Plastic houses become too condensated, I've found, and it can cause respiratory issues.

AliKati
06-28-2011, 11:06 AM
I had the same problem. In the end, I removed the penthouse as it was very smelly, and as his bedding also got some of the urine, I was afraid he would get urine burns. You can use the penthouse on the lower level, or just remove it all together.

For the rest of the tubes, you may not need to remove them immediately, but it would be good to remove them as he gets older. You can get the stoppers for the holes here. Small Pet Tubes : Savic Connection Ring Spelos Metro - Connection Ring & End Stopp : www.EquineCanineFeline.com the place to buy all your Pet Products, Horse Products and Pet Supplies online (http://www.equinecaninefeline.com/catalog/savic-connection-ring-spelos-metro-connection-ring-stopp-p-6782.html)

Jasmine
06-29-2011, 04:56 AM
If you decide to block the holes up you need these Small Pet Tubes : Savic Square Connection Metro - Hamster Network Attachment : www.EquineCanineFeline.com the place to buy all your Pet Products, Horse Products and Pet Supplies online (http://www.equinecaninefeline.com/catalog/savic-square-connection-metro-hamster-network-attachment-p-6784.html)

I had an old hamster heaven so I ordered these and it's a great cage for my Russian dwarf now.:D

racinghamster
06-29-2011, 05:45 AM
This is one of the reasons I bought a Savic Mickey 2XL and not a Hamster Heaven as I don`t like the tubes and penthouse at all and also feel the price of the cage is inflated because of them as `extras`.

Marica
06-30-2011, 09:21 AM
Thanks everyone, I removed the penthouse and just binned it as it was chewed and it was stained from the urine. I kept the tubes so I can get stoppers some time soon. At first he was confused about where his nest went but within 10mins he made up a new one in one of the little hut things. I also decided to rearrange the whole cage as well so now it looks great and there's no smell :D

racinghamster
06-30-2011, 10:44 AM
Sounds good. ;) They soon adapt to a new nest and my syrian has a big pile of paper bedding in his corner under his shelf and he loves it. They don`t always need an enclosed hut/house, but maybe in wintertime when it gets a bit chilly these do prevent draughts.