PDA

View Full Version : Getting a New Cage, need some help!

rockstar11p
06-24-2011, 08:54 PM
So I just ordered this cage online from Petsmart.com : Ware Natural Wood Cage for Hamsters - Small Pet - Sale Category - PetSmart (http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4470991)

It's a Ware Natural Cage for hamsters and probably one of the best I've been on the market in the US. I know it isn't perfect, but with the limited options available in America, I'll take what I can get.

Anyway, the reason I got this cage was because when I got Sonny, my second hamster, I bought him a 10 gallon thinking that maybe, just maybe it would work. I guess I was too happy my mom allowed me to get another hamster to requester all the research I had done on appropriate sized cages. He was kept in a 10 gallon with his 2 brothers at the rescue (they were still young), so I figured it wouldn't be a big deal. It didn't take song for me to realize how truly small the cage was and that even if he was content in it, I knew he deserved better. Also, his tank is right beside Jojo's 20 gallon long, and looks pitiful in comparison. Her's isn't outstanding either, but it is definitely and adequate cage I can feel comfortable with her living in.

Now that I've ordered the cage there are some things I need to figure out.

1) Who is going in the cage? I was thinking that Jojo might have less an interest in trying to escape, because she is a lot more mellow than Sonny. Sonny's energetic, and this is my first experience with wire cages. His energy makes me nervous because I feel safer with a tank. That said Jojo seems to really enjoy her tank and moves around the bedding a lot more than Sonny (More of a mess). It also seems stressful having to move 2 hamsters into new cages. I'm probably just gonna put Sonny in the new one, but I'd like to hear your input as well

2) How do I make the move less stressful from one cage to the other. I was really fortunate that neither one of my hamster showed a high stress level during the move from the rescue to my house. I'm just afraid the wire cage is something new for him and that he might become a little more stressful. What can I do to help.

Thanks for all the help guys! Sorry it's so long :D

purple_x
06-25-2011, 03:12 AM
I would put Sonny in the new cage. If he's the more energetic hammy then I reckon he'd like it more.

To stop a move being stressful, put some (or all) of the bedding from the old cage in the new one and mix some new bedding in with it.
Also try and keep the layout similar in the new cage (like if the wheel was next to the bed in the old cage, do the same in the new cage)