PDA

View Full Version : Penthouse...not outhouse!

AliKati
06-20-2011, 05:02 AM
I recently got the Savic Hamster Heaven. Hamchan, my Syrian uses the penthouse to sleep in. As he's potty-trained in his old cage, I'm surprised he also started peeing in the penthouse. He's worked out that the right side is for sleeping and snacks, the left side is for peeing. But it's rank and it smells!

I read on previous threads that other hams also do this - anyone succeeded in getting their hamster to stop peeing in the penthouse? I know I can remove it, but he does look very cute sleeping and peeking out from the little balconey - not the peeing though!

SarahJ
06-20-2011, 05:11 AM
Bud does this and yes it does smell!

The right side is for weeing and food and the left is for sleeping!

I haven't been able to get him out of this habbit so i just let him get on with it - I clean the wee side every other day now which seems to tackle the smell.

Pomegranate
06-20-2011, 05:21 AM
Did Hamchan used to have his pee corner next to his nest? It may just be the closest area to his nest that he can navigate to pee in (besides the tubes). At least, Pudding likes her pee corner adjacent to her nest. I like to think it's a shorter walk for when she's half-awake. :mad:

Ministottie
06-20-2011, 07:56 AM
Marley does this too, lazy ham lol

SnickersTheFirst
06-20-2011, 10:19 AM
Snickers used to do this because she couldn't be bothered to walk down the tubes. However, if I put her house and pee corner close together she will use the corner. I had to remove the penthouse in the end as it gets so condensated.

AliKati
06-20-2011, 11:59 AM
Did Hamchan used to have his pee corner next to his nest? It may just be the closest area to his nest that he can navigate to pee in (besides the tubes). At least, Pudding likes her pee corner adjacent to her nest. I like to think it's a shorter walk for when she's half-awake. :mad:

Hamchan was in the Peggy Metro, he used to sleep in the igloo hut and pee in the opposite corner on the lower level. Hmm, I could try putting the potty on the second level in the HH but that is a little gross too. I guess they do get lazy and don't want to go all the way down to pee. :)

Hmm, do you think it's cos the Penthouse is too big because they can sleep on one side and pee in the other? I might try blocking off one side.

Sammybingo
06-20-2011, 01:44 PM
Chewbacca did this. I was sick to death of cleaning it every day, and the condensation (which can cause respiratory illness). I removed it not long after he started sleeping in there, and just had the tunnel go round in a circle from his shelf to the sputnik, which I hung at the end instead of the penthouse. He never bothered with the sputnik though, apart from climbing around it.

To be honest, I'd recommend the removal. Especially in summer, as it might somehow get hot and humid (hahaha, good old England!). I would have put mine back on for Winter, when it's around -5 or lower for Chewy, had he still been around - that was the plan heh. x

AliKati
06-24-2011, 01:41 AM
Boo to hammymum, that's I. Sigh. I had to remove his penthouse in the end, as it was getting way too stinky and his bedding would get into the pee and I was afraid how it would affect his skin too. Having removed his penthouse, he started sleeping in the tubes. I hoped he would get past that but he just ignored the Sputnik. After a couple of days, I also removed the tubes as I was afraid the ventilation would be insufficient. I've put a cardboard box in the corner until I've got him a new hut.

He spent a good hour monkey barring furiously, trying to find the tubes and running around in circles. Then finally, he gave up in a huff and went into the cardboard box. I could just about hear the door slamming.

Pomegranate
06-24-2011, 04:25 AM
He'll get used to it, don't worry, and you did it with his best interests at heart. :) In the mean time, thin cardboard tea boxes work well, with the big lid at the top, if you cut a door in the side.

Womblehands
06-24-2011, 05:33 AM
aww bless his little tantrums.. why not try an igloo.. mine took to them perfectly after I removed their stinky beds

Ministottie
06-24-2011, 07:12 AM
I should remove mine too but I don't have the heart to do it. He loves it in there, and I'm worried that he will bar chew loads if I take it away. He already chews a little. There is no condensation as yet but now you have me worried lol

fluffymunchkins
06-24-2011, 11:04 AM
Its best to make your own judgement on what suits him Ministottie :)
If your not having any problems, then theres no need to remove it x

Ministottie
06-24-2011, 03:13 PM
I don't think I will unless it becomes an issue. He seems fine for now, thanks fluffy :D

AliKati
06-26-2011, 03:55 AM
I gave him a tissue box. He peed in it. I had to get rid of it. I gave him a tea box but he doesn't like it. Poor little fluff-butt, he's sooooooooo tired.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3024/5872030699_c27614002d.jpg

Saffy
06-26-2011, 04:02 AM
Awww bless him. I am going to have to take nibblers off soon he is chewing away at the plastic!

CoolcatNatNat44
06-26-2011, 05:21 AM
Bless him he looks so cute :3

Pomegranate
06-26-2011, 07:27 AM
Aww, wee sleepyhead. :)

Could you try an open nest in one corner of the base? I bet he'd appreciate the ventilation in this heat.

AliKati
06-27-2011, 03:45 AM
Yeah, I gave him another box and I think it was too flimsy. Now he's made himself an open nest in a bottom corner. So I think we're good for now. I'm relieved, I felt so bad when he was falling asleep on his face.

Quedos
06-27-2011, 06:26 AM
I put extra holes in the pent house for Sammi - put them in the roof and I've never had problems with it condensating.

And yes Sammi does pee in there but it better than pee in the corner of the tubes that I'm now fighting against.
I find its just as easy to spot clean that bit daily and it never gets a chance to smell.
Thou Sammi does sometimes make sure that the bedding is never near it.