PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading?

Saffy
06-19-2011, 03:00 AM
Cookie is currently in a savic cambridge so I am moving her into Yoshi's old cage so she has more room. I was going to sell the cambridge but before I do I was just wondering whether it would be ok to move Dumbledore into it.
He is a Chinese hamster but he is somewhere between a year and a half and 2 years old and I don't want to stress him out too much. He is currently in a savic rody but he is quite home bound and rarely comes out of his house anyway. So I was just wondering would this be ok?

Pomegranate
06-19-2011, 03:38 AM
There isn't much size difference going by the dimensions, the Cambridge is 7cm longer, but 3cm smaller in width. Unless Dumbledore especially likes climbing and isn't much of a digger, I wouldn't worry about moving him. :)

racinghamster
06-19-2011, 03:47 AM
My Chinese female is currently in a Rody tank aswell :) and I started a thread asking which (if any) barred cages were suitbale for chinese and apart from the obvious cages with narrow 7mm or 9mm bar spacing like the Mickey 2XL and that Barney cage on Zooplus which are huge, I don`t think there are any cages on the market that don`t have 1cm bar spacing or higher? The savic Mickey is too small in my opinion although adequate and the other cages this size all seem to be too small and restrictive.I know the cambridge cage can have some spaces where mice can escape from, like where the circular domed sides arch and the door latch? I don`t have this cage myself so I`m only going on what I`ve read from members on the mouse forum saying that they had some issues with the cambridge cage.

Being a high cage, I would want to put a full solid level with a wide ramp inside because I would`nt feel the plastic shelves were safe. They say chinese hamsters like to climb, but whether they are as nimble as mice are, I`m not sure.

I`ll be sticking with my Rody until such a time a cage comes along that is the size of a gabber Rex but with narrow bars! :mad:

Saffy
06-19-2011, 04:24 AM
Ok thanks. I will be keeping him in the rody then for now. So is it alright to move hamsters to another cage when they are older. He doesn't even go on his wheel anymore and just seems to like to sit in his house most of the time.

Pomegranate
06-19-2011, 04:31 AM
It's definitely okay to move them when they're older, just with the usual steps to make the transition easier - use some of the clean bedding from their old cage, so things smell familiar, and if you can, use the new cage as part of playtime for a bit, so they associate it with good things. :) Some people move their hams to simpler cages as they get older - just the one level, to make it easier for geriatric hams to get about.

Hmm; maybe try some new toys? It doesn't have to be expensive; got any small cardboard boxes or toilet roll tubes handy? :D

Saffy
06-19-2011, 05:49 AM
It's definitely okay to move them when they're older, just with the usual steps to make the transition easier - use some of the clean bedding from their old cage, so things smell familiar, and if you can, use the new cage as part of playtime for a bit, so they associate it with good things. :) Some people move their hams to simpler cages as they get older - just the one level, to make it easier for geriatric hams to get about.

Hmm; maybe try some new toys? It doesn't have to be expensive; got any small cardboard boxes or toilet roll tubes handy? :D

Ok yeah didn't think about how he might be bored of his current toys. He currently has a log, a toilet roll tube, a wall climbing thing and a seed bar. Obviously his house which is the shelf but also another little house which he likes to use as a toilet and stores his food there.

SnickersTheFirst
06-19-2011, 05:53 AM
My Chinese loves cardboard boxes and tubes joined together to make a sort of burrow, which I then bury in his bedding. :)

Saffy
06-19-2011, 05:59 AM
My Chinese loves cardboard boxes and tubes joined together to make a sort of burrow, which I then bury in his bedding. :)

Oohhh wow, that does sound good! Never thought about that. Cleaning him out today so will change a few things round because I have a big draw full of hamster toys and other hamster things.

racinghamster
06-19-2011, 08:30 AM
What wheel do you use? My chinese female has a regular silent spinner (6.5" diameter) and she loves it! :) Watch for those seed bars you mentioned though as chinese are prone to diabetes and these treats can be coated in honey/syrup. You would be better off giving him a spray of millet hanging from the lid maybe?

Saffy
06-19-2011, 08:37 AM
Oh no these are fine. They aren't covered in honey. It's just one that sits on the floor.
Also the wheel I use is a savic wheel but the smaller one.