PDA

View Full Version : Either one of these suitable for a syrian or just dwarfs?

joeyboy
06-15-2011, 09:14 AM
Firstly hi guys since I'm new to the forum.

I was just wondering if either of these cage set-up ideas would work for a Syrian or if they'd only work for a dwarf hamster..

1) One idea was to Buy a Ferplast combi 2 enclosure and join to this a combi 1.

2) The other was to buy an Imac Fantasy enclosure and then get a couple of extension kits (which basically add another level with the same dimensions of the original cage).

thanks for any advice.:)

purple_x
06-15-2011, 11:37 AM
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately the Ferplast combi is no good for even a dwarf.

The Imac fantasy with extensions would be ok for a syrian.
I personally dont like them and prefer something with a larger base area but it's better than some cages for sure!

Pomegranate
06-15-2011, 12:09 PM
Hello, welcome to HC! :D

The Combi 1 isn't really large enough for a permanent home; it makes a good transport cage though.

The thing with an Imac Fantasy is, you're not getting a lot for your money. The main cage and one extension will normally set you back around £60 new, with any more extensions being £20 each. For £60-80 you could get any number of much larger cages, like the Criceti 15 (£55-ish), the Savic Ruffy (£70), and the Savic Mickey 2XL (£65), among others. :)

charlottesrolo
06-15-2011, 12:46 PM
id go with the imac fantasy, i have this cage for my syrian and i love it.
but some people don't but i guess it's personal preferance.
i personally love the way it looks, the layout and it's easy to clean.
but i would most definitly get extra levels, i have 3 levels and when i can afford it am getting a fourth:)

i got mine 2nd hand and saved a fortune as there really expensive so i would deffinitly try and find a second hand one, it's all plastic and metal so can be disinfected no problem.

joeyboy
06-15-2011, 12:57 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys. We're looking for cages which ideally don't have bars and ones with levels but without external tubes is ideal. If all else doesn't seem that good then the Zoozone 1 was a consideration. Just the width of 46cm means it sticks out a little, if something was a similar length to the zoozone but 40cm wide it would be ideal.

Also with the zoozone you don't have any shelves or anything and so I'm not sure if there's some decent things to put in their which give it more places to explore and things to climb about in/on.

SnickersTheFirst
06-15-2011, 01:12 PM
The Combi is too small for any species tbh. I agree with what's been said about the Imac too. For the same price you can get something bigger and better e.g Zoozone 2, Hamster Heaven and Criceti 15 to name just a few.

joeyboy
06-15-2011, 01:20 PM
The Combi is too small for any species tbh. I agree with what's been said about the Imac too. For the same price you can get something bigger and better e.g Zoozone 2, Hamster Heaven and Criceti 15 to name just a few.

Ideally we're looking at something maxing at 78cm long and 40cm wide, height isn't so much of an issue. Hence why an idea was finding two cages which allow for attachments and having them on top of each other to make a two story home. (or more if more then one additional level was used in the Imac Fantasy idea.)

Combi wise I was meaning adding two of those combi 1 cages together and that add-on which contains a wheel.

purple_x
06-16-2011, 02:40 AM
If you get a zoo zone then you can use these to create extra levels
Trixie Shelter With Steps - Surrey Pet Supplies (http://www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk/trixie-shelter-with-steps.html)
Trixie Shelter - Surrey Pet Supplies (http://www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk/trixie-shelter.html)

joeyboy
06-16-2011, 05:15 AM
If you get a zoo zone then you can use these to create extra levels
Trixie Shelter With Steps - Surrey Pet Supplies (http://www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk/trixie-shelter-with-steps.html)
Trixie Shelter - Surrey Pet Supplies (http://www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk/trixie-shelter.html)

Oh thanks for the link they do look good, as do those Trixie steps which are also on the site.

So is a Zoozone 1 ok? Also is an 8" wheel ok, as a lot of people seemed to mention that size but one mentioned 12". I have a 12" for my hog and seems rather large..I suppose only rather big individuals need a 12"? (would be a silent spinner most likely.)

Also if we go with the zoozone 1, are the gaps in the bars on the roof wide enough for a syrian to escape through? Because obviously if there are one or two of those platforms such as the Trixie ones above it will probably be able to rear up and reach the bars.

Ministottie
06-16-2011, 07:34 AM
You would need to get some mesh and cover the bars, but it is simple to do and cheap :)

fluffymunchkins
06-16-2011, 01:44 PM
8" wheels are fine for most syrians (apart from the occasional porky one)
12" is quite huge for a ham, although there are nice 10 and 11" wheels