PDA

View Full Version : introducing a new hamster to another

Ministottie
06-12-2011, 07:08 PM
Sorry for the unclear title, I just need to know if it is possible to introduce a baby Chinese to my existing Chinese girl peanut? Can it be done? Has anyone done it before?

Gizmodo ^_^
06-13-2011, 03:04 AM
Chinese hamsters generally aren't reccomended to be kept together anymore..

souffle
06-13-2011, 03:53 AM
Absolutely not. It would likely result in a major fight and injury. Females, unless they are siblings very rarely stay together and even if the are sisters it doesn't usually work out.
They really don't need company.

Ministottie
06-13-2011, 05:23 AM
I wasn't gonna do it for company, it was because my friend just got a chinese but she doesn't like it and was going to take it back to P@H but keep the cage and get a dwarf instead. I didn't want to see it go back there, but I guess it confirmed my fears and was wishful thinking on a whim last night :(
Thanks anyway, helpful as always :)

racinghamster
06-13-2011, 05:30 AM
Nothing wrong with wishful thinking Ministotti, but as the others have said, it`s wise to keep them singly. Just a shame she could`nt give it time and get to know the little hamster. Chinese are known for being timid and shy, but it does take patience and time on the owners part to work on that.

Ministottie
06-13-2011, 05:34 AM
Yeh I'm kind of annoyed at her. I couldn't even convince her to give me it with the cage so at least it was going somewhere better than back to the shop. Oh well, hopefully someone loving will adopt it :)

thelittleteacup
06-13-2011, 05:58 AM
aww this is sad :( cant she rehome it to someone herself, at least she would know its going to a good home then!

do you know why she doesnt like it? chinese are lovely little things when they come out of their shells!

Ministottie
06-13-2011, 08:55 AM
I know, I love Peanut and she is so friendly but my friends bit her and now shes decided she doesn't like it. I explained to her they take a while as they are shy but nooo she doesn't want it. She took it back today even though I made it very clear I wasn't happy with what she was doing :/

racinghamster
06-13-2011, 09:26 AM
The poor wee thing probably did`nt get enough time to settle in having came from a pet store like PAH. But then once bitten some people just get it into their heads that the hamster is `bad` and replacable. :(

It`s not your fault Ministotti. You can only give advice and if she would`nt listen, she should`nt be keeping any small pet if she can`t handle a bite! No doubt if her new dwarf does the same she will take that one back aswell. :rolleyes:

Ministottie
06-13-2011, 09:33 AM
Well luckily she is thinking twice about getting another after I said that it would probably bite the first few times too. I will just have to wait and see. Hopefully the little chinese will get a lovely home instead :/

racinghamster
06-13-2011, 10:14 AM
Do you happen to know which Pets At Home store she returned it to? Maybe someone on here will go and see her! ;)

SnickersTheFirst
06-13-2011, 10:26 AM
It's a shame as she probably gave the hammy in and told the store it was a biter, so it will now be in the adoption centre with that label posted on it. :(

Bailey had a biter label on him but he just needs time. :) He was there for a month before getting adopted by me though.

Ministottie
06-13-2011, 10:29 AM
The P@H in Manchester. Its such a shame, she was such a cute little thing :(