PDA

View Full Version : Just purchased a Savic Mickey 2XL for Boris!

racinghamster
06-05-2011, 06:10 AM
Well after much deliberations and scratching of heads, I finally decided on the Savic Mickey 2XL cage for my syrian Boris. I really needed a cage that would 1. have great access and 2. be able to get my senior wodent wheel in and out without disturbing Boris during the day as right now I only have two small doors on the cage he`s currently residing in and the bars of the cage run right down inside the base, so when I lift it up, half the bedding comes with it! :rolleyes:

So fingers crossed the courier won`t smash the corners and Boris can move in the same day the cage arrives. I bought it from equinefeline as they allow for a voucher code which reduces the price, so I got it for £54.00 with FREE delivery! :-D (thanks for the code tip Jasmine if your reading this! ;)) I used the cose ANIMAL as you suggested.

So it`s a matter of waiting now. It will be so nice to finally have a cage I can get in and out of without worrying about disturbing Boris. :mrgreen:

SnickersTheFirst
06-05-2011, 06:17 AM
Glad you finally decided. :) Can't wait to see pics when it arrives. :p

racinghamster
06-05-2011, 06:53 AM
Thanks Snickers. I feel I`ve made the right decision because I kept going over and over the two cages in my mind and because the Mickey 2XL has basically the same large door on the front, has 9mm bar spacing and does`nt have all those silly tubes attached to it like the Hamster Heaven Metro does, I felt this was the decider for me. It was also cheaper!

I`m breathing a sign of relief to be honest because I know this cage will make such a difference to me and for Boris. Access won`t be a problem anymore and that was the one thing I had big issues with.

Having looked at all the cage options for a syrian, this Mickey 2XL ticks all the boxes....AND it can be used for all hamster species and mice, while the Hamster Heaven bar spacing may not allow for smaller hamsters like a Chinese. So another plus point I guess! :)

I did like the Barney cage on zooplus, but the price tag was just too high.

SnickersTheFirst
06-05-2011, 07:04 AM
It's a shame that the HH comes with so many accessories that need to be removed/replaced; penthouse, tubes, wheel and bottle. I feel they shouldn't have changed it either as the old shelves were much better.

The XL is great though. :)

racinghamster
06-05-2011, 08:02 AM
It would make the cage cheaper if they just provided the cage with a shelf and ramp, a drinking bottle and a wheel that was at least 8" inches in diameter. I don`t know why they decided to attach all those tubes and plastic bits! To me these are not needed and could easily be place into the cage if the owner wanted to use tubes seperately. The Hamster Heaven is spoiled as a result of the tubes and penthouse I feel and just pushes up the price of a cage that should be retailing at around £49.99p.

If these companies realised this, many more people would buy a larger cage for their hamster instead of thinking it`s okay to spend £45 on a shoebox! :mad:

I had a look at my Paypal e-mail receipt and it states that I paid £58.49p for the cage and not the £54.99p I thought I had paid. Probably because I thought the voucher code ANIMAL reduced the cost by £10 when it did`nt. I got roughly £6.00 off. :roll: Oh well....still have a decent cage at the right price though so not complaining!

SnickersTheFirst
06-05-2011, 08:06 AM
I know, the tubes were fine for Snickers as she was really tiny and never slept in them but Cooper is giant and on his first night decided to sleep in the tubes. :/

Well £6 off is better than nothing and Boris will love it too. :p

racinghamster
06-05-2011, 08:21 AM
Yes, can`t complain! :) It should just be a smooth transition from the cage he is in (a cut down barred gabber jolly rat cage with a blue base!) into his new mansion! The main difference being I will have the larger drop-down door on the front (bliss!) and have much better access to the wheel and interactive times with Boris. He adores his wodent wheel so when I sit by his cage at around 10:00pm at night, he stops running, peers at me through one of the wheel holes and starts running again! :mad: I come second best to the senior wodent wheel I`m afraid! Another fine purchase I made for him and pleased I did. It`s made such a difference to his happiness.

Jasmine
06-05-2011, 11:03 AM
It would make the cage cheaper if they just provided the cage with a shelf and ramp, a drinking bottle and a wheel that was at least 8" inches in diameter. I don`t know why they decided to attach all those tubes and plastic bits! To me these are not needed and could easily be place into the cage if the owner wanted to use tubes seperately. The Hamster Heaven is spoiled as a result of the tubes and penthouse I feel and just pushes up the price of a cage that should be retailing at around £49.99p.

If these companies realised this, many more people would buy a larger cage for their hamster instead of thinking it`s okay to spend £45 on a shoebox! :mad:

I had a look at my Paypal e-mail receipt and it states that I paid £58.49p for the cage and not the £54.99p I thought I had paid. Probably because I thought the voucher code ANIMAL reduced the cost by £10 when it did`nt. I got roughly £6.00 off. :roll: Oh well....still have a decent cage at the right price though so not complaining!

Yes that's the 10% discount - which brings it to £54.99. The MAGIC code which was 15% was working the other day but they seemed to have made it 10% now like the ANIMAL code.

Glad you got it sorted anyway and I think Boris will love it.:p

racinghamster
06-06-2011, 03:41 AM
That`s strange Jasmin because Paypal have on my e-mail that I sent £58.99p to ECF? I thought I would be paying £54.99 aswell, but the ANIMAL code seems to have only taken off £6.00 from the asking price, rather than £10.00? :???:

I hav`nt had a confirmaton e-mail from ECF yet either confirming my order and when I log-in to `my account` it tells me that my account is empty? Although the Paypal e-mail came through fine, I would be more re-assured if ECF would send me confirmation of this. Did you find the same jasmin when you ordered your XL? I ordered on a Sunday right enough so I have to take that into consideration, this being Monday and probably a busy day for them.

racinghamster
06-06-2011, 04:40 AM
Update: I e-mailed them and my cage is being dispatched today for arrival on Wednesday, so here`s hoping Parcel Force don`t do the usual and snap off the base corners. If they do, I will be on the telephone right away asking for a replacement base. Fingers crossed! xxx

Still don`t know why the ANIMAL code did`nt take off £10 though.....

Jasmine
06-06-2011, 04:46 AM
That`s strange Jasmin because Paypal have on my e-mail that I sent £58.99p to ECF? I thought I would be paying £54.99 aswell, but the ANIMAL code seems to have only taken off £6.00 from the asking price, rather than £10.00? :???:

I hav`nt had a confirmaton e-mail from ECF yet either confirming my order and when I log-in to `my account` it tells me that my account is empty? Although the Paypal e-mail came through fine, I would be more re-assured if ECF would send me confirmation of this. Did you find the same jasmin when you ordered your XL? I ordered on a Sunday right enough so I have to take that into consideration, this being Monday and probably a busy day for them.
Sorry I've put the wrong figure in - it was a 10 % discount and so it's £64.99 and 10% of that is £6.49 or £6.50 if they round it up so that makes the price you pay £58.49. Not sure about the £58.99 though.:confused:

Jasmine
06-06-2011, 04:47 AM
Update: I e-mailed them and my cage is being dispatched today for arrival on Wednesday, so here`s hoping Parcel Force don`t do the usual and snap off the base corners. If they do, I will be on the telephone right away asking for a replacement base. Fingers crossed! xxx

Still don`t know why the ANIMAL code did`nt take off £10 though.....
The code is for 10% which is £6.49. It would only be £10 off if the cage was £100.00. :)

racinghamster
06-06-2011, 04:50 AM
Your maths is better than mine Jasmine so don`t worry about my figures being a little out! :mad:

I paid £58.49p in the end, so it`s right enough. ;) Still a great cage for that price I feel. I would have paid much more for the Hamster Heaven Metro, yet would have ended up with tubes all over the place that I would`nt use anyway! I feel I`ve chosen the right cage and you convinced me of that when you bought yours! I know i`ve made the right choice with the XL. It`s going to prove a versatile cage due to it`s narrower bar spacing aswell, so I could use it for mice or a smaller hamster in future. :)

racinghamster
06-08-2011, 06:10 AM
My cage arrived SAFELY!!! \\:D/ They double-boxed it and once I managed to get into it, I immediately inspected the base corners, which were all fine and intact. As was the barred top! :)

Boris will be moving into his new Savic Mickey 2XL this evening and he also has a new Trixie Tutti Frutti Ka-Bob hanger with treats hanging from it, so he`s going to be a happy wee chappy.

I e-mailed equinecaninefeline to thank them for double-boxing the cage because I`m sure this feedback will let them know that doubling the packaging prevents breakages. I got really good service rom them this time around and would definately recommend them to anyone looking for a cage or accessories. Their postage is discounted and they also give redeemable codes for money off purchases. Something other online companies don`t do very often.

I can`t take a photo sadly of Boris in his new abode, but I`m sure he will love the extra bit of space this cage allows and I`m happy that he now has the cage he deserves.

Roxie
06-08-2011, 08:22 AM
What a relief! It's always such a worrying time waiting for cages to arrive. Glad it's in one piece!

Gizmodo ^_^
06-08-2011, 09:22 AM
Great that it arrived smoothly
Piccies soon :P?
it looks like a great cage

racinghamster
06-08-2011, 09:39 AM
Thanks guys, yes it was a huge relief to see the cage in one piece! The double-boxing probably saved the day and I was quick to send an e-mail to equinecaninefeline.com to say thanks for making sure the cage was properly boxed. They e-mailed back thanking me for my comments and will pass them on to their packaging department. :) Hopefully this will give them food for thought when sending other cages out. ;)

I can`t take photos Gizmodo as I don`t have a digi-camera or a mobile with a camera facility. :( I will update this post once Boris has moved in though! Can`t disturb his beauty sleep. ;) :rolleyes:

Jasmine
06-08-2011, 11:01 AM
My cage arrived SAFELY!!! \\:D/ They double-boxed it and once I managed to get into it, I immediately inspected the base corners, which were all fine and intact. As was the barred top! :)

Boris will be moving into his new Savic Mickey 2XL this evening and he also has a new Trixie Tutti Frutti Ka-Bob hanger with treats hanging from it, so he`s going to be a happy wee chappy.

I e-mailed equinecaninefeline to thank them for double-boxing the cage because I`m sure this feedback will let them know that doubling the packaging prevents breakages. I got really good service rom them this time around and would definately recommend them to anyone looking for a cage or accessories. Their postage is discounted and they also give redeemable codes for money off purchases. Something other online companies don`t do very often.

I can`t take a photo sadly of Boris in his new abode, but I`m sure he will love the extra bit of space this cage allows and I`m happy that he now has the cage he deserves.

Aww I'm glad that it arrived safely and hope Boris loves his new cage.:D
I'm worrying about my new Russian in the Imac because he doesn't seem to have a lot of space at all and he's quite a big lad. He doesn't really use the top floor either and seeing the other Russian run about at night in the Mickey Max XL makes me feel sorry he hasn't got the same room to run and I really can't afford another £65, don't think my o.h would be too pleased.:mad: I've had a brilliant idea though.:idea: Just been in the shed to the piggies and noticed my old hamster heaven in there. I could put the little square plug thingies in the two holes where the tubes go and he would have a really big cage then to run around in. Will have to buy some more toys though I think but I think he should be okay as I've kept Russians in hamster heavens before and he's in the Imac fantasy now which is the same bar spacing I think.

racinghamster
06-09-2011, 12:32 AM
I would go for it Jasmin, definately. The Imac is quite a restrictive cage in terms of the hamster using the upper section unless it`s another full cage that sits on top (rather than just that bedding area).

Well Boris supervised me while switching cages over! :mad: He happily toddled about the base of his gabber cage while I took everything out and placed it in the base of his Mickey XL. I had to stop for little hamster cuddles every now and then as he would stand up and peer over the edge of the base so I would stop and lean over him to get kisses. I basically put everything back where it was in his old cage and it looks fab! His wheel fits in lovely and still has room at the top and it sits on a slab of pine and also some kitchen towel and shavings, so the 38cm height has worked out just fine for the senior wodent wheel. :)

I absolutely LOVE the large front door and I can now get easy access to Boris and everything in his cage without hassle. The Mickey 2XL and the Hamster Heaven cage are definately the two best syrian hamster cages on the market due to their good access and size and also their looks. very streamline cages and look contemporary and not bulky. Quite sleek to look at really.

SO.....I`m a very happy hamster mum today and Boris is too! :cool:

Jasmine
06-09-2011, 03:26 AM
I would go for it Jasmin, definately. The Imac is quite a restrictive cage in terms of the hamster using the upper section unless it`s another full cage that sits on top (rather than just that bedding area).

Well Boris supervised me while switching cages over! :mad: He happily toddled about the base of his gabber cage while I took everything out and placed it in the base of his Mickey XL. I had to stop for little hamster cuddles every now and then as he would stand up and peer over the edge of the base so I would stop and lean over him to get kisses. I basically put everything back where it was in his old cage and it looks fab! His wheel fits in lovely and still has room at the top and it sits on a slab of pine and also some kitchen towel and shavings, so the 38cm height has worked out just fine for the senior wodent wheel. :)

I absolutely LOVE the large front door and I can now get easy access to Boris and everything in his cage without hassle. The Mickey 2XL and the Hamster Heaven cage are definately the two best syrian hamster cages on the market due to their good access and size and also their looks. very streamline cages and look contemporary and not bulky. Quite sleek to look at really.

SO.....I`m a very happy hamster mum today and Boris is too! :cool:

Glad you and Boris love it.:mad: I love mine too, just wish I could afford another one as the bars are much stronger than the hamster heaven.

racinghamster
06-09-2011, 03:36 AM
That`s interesting to know. I`ve never seen a Hamster Heaven close up, just photos of it. It was the tubes and the holes and the slightly wider bar spacing that put me off this cage over the Mickey XL and the fact it cost more!

When I took the accessories out of my Mickey XL, I suddenly realised what a load of nonsence they are and that the cage would be far better sold empty and cheaper, then maybe more hamsters would get the chance of a decent cage. But while they keep charging way over £60 for these cages, they will always be out of the reach of most peoples purses and that`s a shame. My Sputnik, Roly wheel, metal food dish, water bottle and tube are all in storage now, so will most likely be sold on. I will keep the sputnik and the water bottle, but I definately won`t be using the other pieces. Shame I had to pay for them though. :roll:

Jasmine
06-10-2011, 01:39 AM
Yes I've got my tubes in storage in case the ones on my hamster heaven cage break because they are quite expensive to buy separately.

I ordered the stoppers from ECF so hoping they come soon then I can put little Boris (that's what he was named in the pets at home adoption.:mad: - I know your hamster is called Boris) in a bigger cage.

racinghamster
06-10-2011, 03:14 AM
So we both have a Boris! :mad: I call my lad `Boris the Bear`! :mad:

Yes, I prefer the HH with the stoppers in the holes rathar than with all the tubes attached. It`s nice to put a few tubes inside the cage though for the hamster to play in or to use as a means to get up to a shelf rather than using a ramp I suppose.

Boris loves his new XL and so do I. :)

Roxie
06-11-2011, 03:26 AM
You've totally sold me on this cage but one question...

I was given an old Savic Cammy many months ago and the wheel attached to the plastic base which left a hole when you took it out to use another wheel. Totally put me off ever using it.

The Mickey isn't like this is it? From what I can tell they seem to have the wheel on the bars so I'm hoping it's not the same sort of set up as the Cammy.

racinghamster
06-11-2011, 03:41 AM
What`s a Cammy? :mad: The Mickey 2XL has no holes anywhere and takes a wheel on the bars or free standing. I use a Senior wodent wheel (on it`s stand it is 30cm in height) and the cage is 38cm in height, so takes this size of wheel fine, even when standing the wheel on a cushioned surface like kitchen towels, thick newspaper or wood to prevent any rattling.

The wheel can be attached to the bars using cable ties, but I prefer just to have it free standing for now. It`s easier to take in and out I feel.

I gave myself a sore head deciding between this cage, the Hamster Heaven and the Barney cage on Zooplus, but went for the Savic Mickey 2XL in the end because:

It has a huge front door access (The deciding factor in the end!)
It has 9mm bar spacing (so is suited to all rodents, even mice)
The barred lid can be lifted off easily and has very secure side clips
The price for me was also good compared to the two other cages

equinecaninefeline double-box the cage aswell so it arrives safely and comes by Parcel Force 48 hour signed for delivery. This company are the cheapest around for this and the Hamster Heaven cages and remember to use the code ANIMAL when ordering to get the 10% discount if you decide to go for it. ;) Total price will then be £58.54p. Worth every penny.

Roxie
06-11-2011, 03:55 AM
A Cammy is a awful cage! Well, in my opinion anyway :). Great to hear it's hole free. I never understood why they chose to design the Cammy that way, ridiculous idea.

The front doors are what totally sold it for me. Cookie is quite cage terratorial so I'm starting to think front doors are a total must for her. Also like the fact it can be used for all breeds, definitly a bonus and it just looks great.

Think I'm gonna go for it :).

racinghamster
06-11-2011, 05:10 AM
You won`t be sorry, believe me. I purchased mine after reading Jasmin`s revue on her cage and it really is the best cage going for access and price right now. I figured that I would never have to buy another syrian cage if I bought this and it has the added bonus of being used for smaller hamsters and/or mice aswell. :)

Let us know how you get on with ordering (remember the ANIMAL code for your 10% off ;)) if you buy from equinecaninefeline.com

Roxie
06-11-2011, 05:29 AM
Will do! Hopefully it'll be hassle free unlike my terrible Ruffy experience with Amazon :)

fluffymunchkins
06-11-2011, 05:56 AM
I think the savic cammy is like the savic cambridge but with a flat roof?
It seems to be popular with breeders as it can easily be stacked.

Gizmodo ^_^
06-11-2011, 06:31 AM
Yeah the Cammy is the exact same size as the cambridge, just flat roof, less height and 1 shelf

racinghamster
06-11-2011, 08:17 AM
So the Mickey 2XL will be a big improvement then for Roxie. Having the large door on the front makes a massive difference to a cage especially if you have a hamster that is difficult, nervous or territorial because it means you can sit with the door open and interact with your hamster without having to take off the entire roof! I`ve found this to be really helpful both with Boris`s getting used to a large cage (as apposed to the Rotastak space command he lived in for seven months prior to coming to live with me) aswell as being able to get in and out without disturbing him while he sleeps. :)

The Savic Mickey 2XL is basically a cheaper alternative to the Hamster Heaven, only your not paying for all the daft tubes and flimsy shelving! The XL comes with a wide, narrow barred shelf and attached ladder which I chose to remove, but it can be covered over with an off-cut of lino, thick newspaper or straw matting if you choose to use it.

The cage also comes with a water bottle, a metal co-op cup, a Roly 7 1/2" inch wheel, a Hamster sputnik and a tube. All of which can be used or stored. So a much better buy I feel than the Hamster Heaven. :)

Jasmine
06-12-2011, 03:16 AM
Here's a picture of the Mickey Max XL open so you can see how wide the door is.

http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/ww30/Foxo_2009/Hamstercleaningday019-1.jpg

Top view.

http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/ww30/Foxo_2009/Hamstercleaningday018-1.jpg

And door shut.:mad:

http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/ww30/Foxo_2009/Hamstercleaningday017.jpg

CoolcatNatNat44
06-12-2011, 05:15 AM
looks lovely! I also think it looks better without the shelf :)

racinghamster
06-12-2011, 06:28 AM
The shelf is a nice addition, but I removed my shelf aswell as I feel it`s too wide and takes up quite a bit of room in a 38cm high cage. I placed a Superpet corner shelf in the far corner instead and run a ladder/log bridge from it. :) Boris sleeps under this corner shelf with a large pile of paper safe bedding. I also use an off-cut of lino on the shelf (cut to the same corner shape) even though the shelf is already a meshed surface. This allows for a solid surface. I added the corner shelf because I felt he needed a little shelf to climb up to and he has a square tisue box on top where he sits and has a wash! :mad:

I have to say I think the Savic Mickey 2XL is the best barred cage going for syrians and smaller hamsters. It`s narrow 9mm bar spacing has to be a bonus aswell as all the other cages are 1cm wide or tank styles, so this cage allows for size aswell as safe bar spacing. The Hamster Heaven for example has the wider bar spacing, so is only suitable for syrians really and you also pay a higher price for the Hamster Heaven because of all the un-necessary tubes it comes with. So it`s an easy choice to make between the two as I feel the Mickey 2XL has more positives than negitives.

fluffymunchkins
06-12-2011, 06:49 AM
I want this cage for Porridge now :mad:
The doors are starting to become a real pain, as even though hes tame, he hates hands picking him up from above. He used to come up on his hammock by the door when I called him, but hes stopped doing that now :roll:

racinghamster
06-12-2011, 08:55 AM
It`s a really good cage fluffymunchkins and access is brilliant. I`m glad I chose this cage now because I will never need to buy another syrian cage again. It`s has the space, the access and the 9mm bar spacing, so could also be used for smaller hamsters aswell rather than keeping them in a zoozone! So it has all the plus points over the other barred cages like the Hamster Heaven and the Ruffy 2. It`s actually better made aswell.

It seems to be a cage that many syrian people are looking at now because the Hamster Heaven is over-priced for what it is, yet this cage is basically a Hamster Heaven without all the naff tubes and plastic shelves! :mad: The Ruffy 2 only has one large door and it`s not as big as the door on the Mickey XL and it`s on the roof, not on the front.

CoolcatNatNat44
06-12-2011, 09:05 AM
Quick question :)
Could you fit the classic water bottle spout threw the bars?

racinghamster
06-12-2011, 10:07 AM
I answered that in your other thread! :mad:

CoolcatNatNat44
06-12-2011, 10:10 AM
I answered that in your other thread! :mad:

SnickersTheFirst
06-12-2011, 10:13 AM
It's a lovely cage but I doubt a Hamster Heaven shelf would fit on the bars would it? :)

Would be nice to know for future reference as it's cheaper than the HH but I don't feel it would be big enough without the shelf. :mad:

racinghamster
06-12-2011, 10:22 AM
The Mickey 2XL comes with a metal black barred shelf and attached ladder, but I took mine out to make more room! :mad: The corner shelves in the HH should attach I would imagine as both cages are made by Savic, but the HH bars are 1cm wide. However, if the corner shelves attach by screwing on those flat-back screws, they just fit though the bars surely and into the shelf holes? Are they like the Ferplast corner shelves?

If the width of the shelf screws is less than 9mm, they will fit through the bars on the XL.

SnickersTheFirst
06-12-2011, 10:24 AM
I think they are pretty similar to the Ferplast ones tbh. I was just wondering if the screws were too wide for the bars. :)

Jasmine
06-13-2011, 06:40 AM
I tried the shelf from the hamster heaven when I got my first Mickey Max but the screws were too thick for the small bars of the cage. I emailed ECF to see if the shelves they do would fit and they said yes but I've not tried one as I'm not 100% sure that they have actually tried to fit one in the cages they have in stock and are just going off the fact they would fit in the cage although I did explain the problem of the screws being too thick.

Sammybingo
06-13-2011, 07:55 AM
One of my HH screws is broken, so I have bought cable ties to use to attach things quickly and easily to the cage, and hopefully, make the shelf more stable with it missing a screw! I'm not guaranteed that a ham won't chew it, but hopefully they won't be bothered. Perhaps that would work in the Mickey Max?

I do like the look of this cage a lot. I need to order tube stoppers and stuff for my HH, but otherwise it's also a brilliant home. But yeah.. I think in future I'd consider the MM2 or a Zoozone2. Fewer things to store!

Roxie
06-14-2011, 03:24 PM
Very excited that I'm ordering one of these tomorrow. I'm 100% convinced that Cookie is gonna adore this.

I am literally crossing everything that this arrives in one piece, I may even resort to prayer. I have NO luck with cages at all :)

racinghamster
06-15-2011, 01:20 AM
It should be fine Roxie. Parcel Force have been known to chuck things around, but equinecaninefeline.com sent mine double boxed and that seemed to make all the difference. I e-mailed them telling them this and they passed on my comments to their packaging depo, so hopefully they will double-box all the cages they send out now to prevent any breakages. Seems the sensible thing to do really.

I absolutely love my Mickey 2XL and so does my syrian. :) But equally, it makes a good cage for all dwarf hammies and mice, so it`s money well spend and I figured that if I ever sold it, I would have people interested because it`s such a large cage and no doubt will shoot up in price again much as the other cages like the Hamster Heaven did. So now is definately the time to buy I would say. :)

Roxie
06-15-2011, 03:32 AM
You totally sold me on this cage, I had never even considered it until now. Seeing as I'm overly paranoid about escapes the bar spacing is wonderful.

Cookies at the stage where she's now actually asking for playtime and I have to take the whole cage off so it's going to be so nice for her to just be able to stroll out.

Just editing to add that equinecaninefelines service is getting better all the time. Ordered the cage at 12 noon and it was despatched at 12:03! Should be here tomorrow!

racinghamster
06-15-2011, 04:23 AM
Glad to hear your cage is on it`s way Roxie, you will love it and so will Cookie! My cage took two days to arrive, but I ordered on the Sunday and it arrived on the Wednesday early afternoon. I suppose it depends where you are located depends on one or two days for arrival.

You won`t need to buy another cage again and due to the excellent access and narrow bar spacing, you should have no worries on those fronts! :)

purple_x
06-16-2011, 10:39 AM
I have a question as I am also now interested in this cage! But I would like 2, one for each groups of my mice.

On ECF it says the height is 32cm but you've said it's 38cm. Could you let me know which one it is please? :D
I know 6cm wont make much difference but if the Mickey is only 32cm high then I will go for the savic ruffy which is 38cm high.

I think if I get the Mickey that I will keep the shelf in and just cover it with a grassy mat.

racinghamster
06-16-2011, 10:43 AM
The Mickey 2XL is deffinately 38cm tall purple_x. Ther website has an error and I thought the cage was shorter aswell until I found out otherwise! Go for it. ;)

purple_x
06-16-2011, 10:44 AM
Thank you hun x
I'm off to order 2 of them now.....so excited!
Why is it that I get more excited about buying stuff for my animals than I do when buying stuff for myself lol

racinghamster
06-16-2011, 11:59 AM
Because they are our babies, that`s why! :mad: Remember to use the voucher codes on ECF to get your 10% discount on each cage. So you should get 20% off since you are buying two theortically. The code I used was ANIMAL, but the other one is FUN88.

Good luck. x

Roxie
06-17-2011, 08:07 AM
OH SWEET RELIEF! My Mickey arrived this morning completely intact. Nearly wept tears of joy.

I can't praise equinecaninefeline enough. The cage was triple boxed, the corners of the base were packed with bubble wrap and air bags, really well packaged. Like racinghamster I'm also going to e-mail them to hopefully encourage them to keep this up. I've really had exceptional service for them and definitely recommend them.

The cage is amazing. It seems really well made. The bars are sturdy and secure and the door is amazing. I did have to bend the bars slightly to fit a classic water bottle as others have mentioned and also to fit my comfort wheel in but it certainly doesn't comprise the security of the cage.

Having had experience with both this and the Ruffy I have to say personally I prefer the Mickey. Thanks to racinghamster as I never even looked at this cage until now. Perhaps the best cage purchase I've ever made.

racinghamster
06-17-2011, 08:21 AM
Oh fantastic! :) Another Mickey 2XL fan! :) It makes ALL the difference if a cage is packed well does`nt it? Maybe they have learned from past mistakes having had too many cages ruined by couriers. It`s definately worth e-mailing them to say what you thought of the packaging because they do pass this on and appreciate comments.

This is a really great cage for the price I feel and is more versatile than the Hamster Heaven because of it`s narrower bars and does`nt cost the earth because it does`nt come with all the tubes and flimsy shelves! :mad:

Well done Roxie and I`m glad my thread was of help to you making your choice. x

Roxie
06-17-2011, 08:32 AM
Oooh yes that's another thing, I feel like I've got a total bargain, for what it is and for how well it's made it really is pretty cheap.

racinghamster
06-17-2011, 08:42 AM
I thought the same Roxie. For a little more than what you might pay for the Savic Ruffy, you get a better cage with a large front door for a decent price. I snapped mine up before the price starts to go up, much like the Hamster Heaven cage did once it became popular. I can see that cage hitting the £100 mark in time, so I did`nt hang around!

stellanova1
06-17-2011, 08:54 AM
I like it! It seems Amazon are doing a good deal on it just now?

Savic Mickey 2xl Navy Blue Mice And Dwarf Hamster Cage 80 X 50 X 38 Cm: Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Savic-Mickey-Navy-Dwarf-Hamster/dp/B003QRMBG0/ref=sr_1_19?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1308325937&sr=1-19)

I must admit i am tempted haha! :mad: I wish I wasn't skint just now!

Roxie
06-17-2011, 09:24 AM
Wow, that's a terrific price. My only worry would be I've had two broken cages from Amazon, but that might have just been bad luck on my part :)

racinghamster
06-17-2011, 10:16 AM
That`s £8.00 less than what I paid for mine even with the 10% discount code on ECF, but as Roxie said, how good are Amazon at double or even triple packing cages this size? Fantastic price though if it arrives safe. :)

That really is the best price for this cage on the internet right now. Beats even equinecaninefeline! :???:

stellanova1
06-17-2011, 10:46 AM
I haven't bought any cages off Amazon but I think there have been a few people on here that have and the cages where fine...I think...?

CoolcatNatNat44
06-19-2011, 07:17 AM
I'm ordering that cage from there soon as its such a good price :D

Roxie
06-19-2011, 07:28 AM
You definitely won't regret it, I'm so pleased with it, really is a fantastic cage.

CoolcatNatNat44
06-19-2011, 07:37 AM
Can you remove the wired shelf?

racinghamster
06-19-2011, 08:24 AM
yes, it just sits on the lip of the base. :) I removed mine because Boris has a Superpet corner shelf and ramps and log bridges, but the narrow wire shelf in the XL is sturdy and has a ramp attached to it already. I would cover the bars though of the shelf with straw matting or off-cuts of lino. This gives the hamster a soild surface to walk on, but it`s very easy to find something to cover the shelf. :)

CoolcatNatNat44
06-19-2011, 08:58 AM
Thats good to know! I will be removing the shelf and putting a trixie shelf in there i think :)

Jasmine
06-19-2011, 09:38 AM
OH SWEET RELIEF! My Mickey arrived this morning completely intact. Nearly wept tears of joy.

I can't praise equinecaninefeline enough. The cage was triple boxed, the corners of the base were packed with bubble wrap and air bags, really well packaged. Like racinghamster I'm also going to e-mail them to hopefully encourage them to keep this up. I've really had exceptional service for them and definitely recommend them.

The cage is amazing. It seems really well made. The bars are sturdy and secure and the door is amazing. I did have to bend the bars slightly to fit a classic water bottle as others have mentioned and also to fit my comfort wheel in but it certainly doesn't comprise the security of the cage.

Having had experience with both this and the Ruffy I have to say personally I prefer the Mickey. Thanks to racinghamster as I never even looked at this cage until now. Perhaps the best cage purchase I've ever made.

I had one a few weeks ago and the base was all broken so I phoned them and they replaced it the next day. I now have a stupid form from parcel force with loads of questions on to fill in and provide photos too.:eek: Don't know why EFC couldn't have done this as I sent them an email and photos as proof of the damage.

racinghamster
06-19-2011, 10:17 AM
What? :???: Seems silly for something like a shelf....what a palava! :mad: Still, better to have your shelf incase you ever want to sell the cage because it`s better to have everything the cage came with originally. My shelf is in the cupboard and I`ve kept the large savic box it came in too! :)

Roxie
06-19-2011, 10:27 AM
I had one a few weeks ago and the base was all broken so I phoned them and they replaced it the next day. I now have a stupid form from parcel force with loads of questions on to fill in and provide photos too.:eek: Don't know why EFC couldn't have done this as I sent them an email and photos as proof of the damage.

Oh no! That's always so annoying. I did e-mail equinecaninefeline after recieving mine and said how pleased I was with the packaging and they sent a reply saying they've been changing the way they pack things after a series of breakages. They mentioned they hadn't had a broken one all week so it's seems like they are learning.

racinghamster
06-19-2011, 10:33 AM
That`s good to know Roxie. Seems as though they were fed up having to take back broken stock and I can`t say I blame them. I mean, what do you do with a cage base that the corners have snapped on? It`s no good to anyone once this happens. Zooplus would learn from double-boxing their cages aswell. All websites should.