PDA

View Full Version : The Spot:(

Theador_and_Me
06-11-2007, 06:36 PM
Hi,
sorry if i haven't posted in awhile I've been busy. Anyway my hamster Theador has a spot on his back with not very much hair. Do any of you have an idea of what it is? He's had this before but i figured it would grow back...... and it did in not that much time, but he's had this spot for awhile now. I'm not sure what it is and you might not either so heres a picture..........if you think you know what it is please tell me I'm worried! :cry:

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s152/Theador_and_Me/spot.jpg

PS................Quick Question, as you can see in the photo are the back of a hamsters ears supposed to have as much hair as his body? :?

souffle
06-12-2007, 12:35 AM
What sort of wheel do you have theodor? The patch looks like spindle rub from a wheel which is too small. The spindle rubs on the back and the fur is pulled out. If he runs a lot and is arching his back or the back is touching the spindle the wheel is too small. A wodent wheel or one of at least 8in diam is needed. Examine the wheel spindle and see if there is any fur in it.
That said there are other causes of fur loss including hormonal, parasitic and other diseases which would need vet attention. There is usually a bit more fun behind the ears bot they do lose some with age.
If you eliminate wheel rub as a cause then I would take him to a vet.
Hope he gets better soon.

Theador_and_Me
06-12-2007, 05:12 AM
Ok so i should get him a new wheel and then perhaps if it doesn't get better take him to the vet? Oh yah..........Sometimes he does stick his head out of the wheel while running on it could that be a cause?

souffle
06-12-2007, 05:37 AM
Have you checked if there is fur in the wheel? Watch him and see if he is curving his back when he runs. It should be pretty straight out on the wheel. Measure across the middle of the wheel and if it is less than 8in it is likely too small. Does he have any other symptoms of illness like lethargy, not eating, itching, scratching, redness or discharge? If so you still need to see the vet.

Theador_and_Me
06-12-2007, 04:22 PM
Its about 6 in and it appears that there is no hair on the wheel at all but when he runs on the wheel he tends to stick his head out the side.I will be sure to get him a new wheel soon.