PDA

View Full Version : Chinese in pets at home adoption..

shazzy
05-29-2011, 05:10 AM
And I think he will be coming home with me tomorrow..

Apparently he's a biter. He's been in the adoption area for 5 weeks and I've decided enough is enough and he deserves the nice big multy I have with lots of toys

I know they are shy and it will take a while for him to come round but I have patience.

Any tips for the new Chinese owner?

racinghamster
05-29-2011, 05:16 AM
I`m jealous! The little guy will probably come round in his own time shazzy. I don`t imagine a small tank in Pets At Home is the best environment for any small animal and once he`s at home with you, he will get used to you and his new cage, I`m sure. :)

I`ve read that biting is`nt something Chinese do very often, so chances are this wee fella has`nt had a great start. I would love a wee Chinese male one day but I don`t have the space just now with two large mouse cages and Boris the syrians cage! :mad:

Gizmodo ^_^
05-29-2011, 06:20 AM
Awww hes going to have a lovely little home with you. Duna multy will be perfect for the chinesey

Gillzy
05-29-2011, 06:23 AM
Hooray, can't wait to see pics once he's settled. I'm sure you'll give him the care he needs to become friendly :)

samincittagazze
05-29-2011, 06:23 AM
Psh, they said my Russian Max was a biter, and after a little gentle TLC he is now the sweetest little thing. :) Good for you, taking him on, I can't wait to see pics of the little guy in his new home. :)

LocoRocoPanda
05-29-2011, 06:34 AM
Awww so cute. Chinese hammies are great. You've gotta remember how timid they can be though XD

SnickersTheFirst
05-29-2011, 06:40 AM
I've found, the thing with adoption hammies is you have to be very patient as you have no idea of their background. Bailey is really skittish (don't think his leg helped!), he was labelled as a biter and had been there for over a month. I've done 15 bath taming sessions with him and I've only just reached the stage where he will sniff my hand without biting me. He's just really freaked out by hands so prehaps he had little/bad handling? I'm pretty sure he will come round eventually, he's a lovely little guy. :p

Just make sure there's plenty of hidey holes for him and I've found deep bedding is a hit with Chinese hamsters too. :)

rockster
05-29-2011, 07:15 AM
Can't wait to see him and I hope he isnt a biter :D The duna multy would be a great home for the little fella and as Snickers said, they adore deep bedding :) x

RachK
05-29-2011, 12:02 PM
Sharon I don't think it matters with adoption hams if they never get fully tame, at the end of the day this little fella will have a fantastic home with you. So it's worth getting him :)

fluffymunchkins
05-29-2011, 01:23 PM
That's wonderful news, I do hope he comes to live with you!
He'll be so happy, even if it does take time to gain his trust :)

shazzy
05-29-2011, 02:17 PM
Thanks for all the comments. I'm hoping that in time and with a lot of gentle persuasion he'll come round. Either way I'm hoping that I can give him a happy home :)

Just hope he's still there tomorrow! Im riding in morn but will go straight after at 12. My friend was in there today and staff said they don't reckon he'll go as he's bitey, and she mentioned I'll be in

I'm really pleased as my friend took in the little 2 year old gerbil that's been there for 5 weeks. Seeing her in their broke my heart, especially as she's had a rough life so far, so very pleased my friend offered to take her

racinghamster
05-30-2011, 03:47 AM
I would have phoned up to reserve him! :mad: Did you get the little man?

Gizmodo ^_^
05-30-2011, 03:52 AM
Exciting to see if you got him
Anxiously waiting:mad:

shazzy
05-30-2011, 05:09 AM
Well 'he' is home! Debating whether 'he' is actually a she because there are no little pillows visible... And Bobbi, her name from pah has an I which is the girls spelling! So I am assuming she is female at present :)

She's had a good run about her cage and has been on her wheel for ages. Hoping she will settle and have a sleep soon.

It looks like she may have been in a fight as she had a bald patch on the inside of her leg and also a bit patchy on one side of her face.

I was lucky, she was nearly swiped away.. The lady was boxing her up and this other lady came along saying 'oh it's going I've been eyeing him up for days'. So I got there just in time!

There were 2 other little dwarfs in there too, wish I could have taken them too but I couldn't afford to buy all the kit for another right now.

Anyway, I'll introduce her properly once she's settled in. She's very sweet :)

Debbie
05-30-2011, 05:11 AM
What a very lucky ham!! I'm sure once he is taken out of the horrible P@H situation and has better care, more handling, room, stimulation etc that he'll become a little sweetheart. I was lucky with my adoption of Mouse because she has always been friendly and tame, though you have to choose the right moment to scoop her out of the cage or she disappears down a tube pretty quickly!! They are so much fun to watch, and so easy to provide a fun stimulating environment for.
As for care, as has been said, a deep substrate, tunnels boxes and other things she can hide in or climb. I've just swapped over to Megazorb and Mouse seems to have no problem digging in it and creating little tunnels, I've also provided a sand area at one end of the cage. I've found Mouse loves to collect seed so tend to scatter feed most of her food and she enjoys veg and baby food, oh and I found out this morning she likes weetabix too!! It seems all chinese like to pee in their wheels too!!
Hopefully you are successful in getting the little one and we look forward to photos!

fluffymunchkins
05-30-2011, 05:12 AM
Awww congrats :D
I think you'd definitley be able to see 'man bits' if Bobbi was a boy ;)
Are you keeping the name?
Can't wait to see her x

Debbie
05-30-2011, 05:12 AM
Must have posted at the same time!! Glad you have Bobbi safe and sound at home now. Have fun with her!!

Gizmodo ^_^
05-30-2011, 05:16 AM
Yay for the new addition, glad you got her :D
Bobbi is going to have a lovely life with you :)

shazzy
05-30-2011, 05:17 AM
Thanks for the advice Debbie!

She doesn't seem bothered with me peering in her cage so I'll give her some time to settle and take it gently

Not sure about the name fluffym. I'll see if it sticks, it still sounds a bit boyish!

racinghamster
05-30-2011, 08:54 AM
Glad you managed to get `her` before the other lady swiped her! :mad: They sound like a lot of fun Chinese hamsters and I`m drawn to them possibly because they are `mouse like` and I keep mice aswell! I`ll bet she`s loving her wheel? Did she have one in PAH?