PDA

View Full Version : Question About Winter Whites

Beowolf72
06-03-2007, 03:46 PM
Well, we are trying to breed our Winter Whites, and on advice from several sources, we put them in a netrual area. It was big and spacious, so it wouldn't crowd them together. It took about 5 minutes before Telly, our male, to see Tilly and walk over to her.

Tilly decided to squeek at him and raise her arms, in which Telly backed off and walked around the cage. Then Tilly started following him, sniffing and rubbing on him, then when Telly would trun to her to sniff her, she would do the same thing. Which in turn, Telly would back off and go about his business, with Tilly in tow following him.

I find this a bit strange, but I dunno, my first time breeding Winter Whites. So if any one could help, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Beowolf72
06-03-2007, 08:18 PM
Well we tried it again, just to see how it would work out and this time, Tilly ran over to Telly, and start sniffing him and rubbing on him, and NOT squeeking at him. YAY!!

But, Telly is still taking a standoff-ish attitude to Tilly. We were able to connect their cages, and so far they both have gone back and forth between the two. Telly actually started redecorating Tilly's cage, and Tilly went on a food run over at Telly's cage.

Hopefully Telly will start taking an active interest in Tilly, because Tilly has a big interest in Telly.

souffle
06-04-2007, 12:44 AM
Not all pairs will get on, sometimes never and sometimes after a while however you seem to have made a good start. The introduction should be made carefully on neutral territory. In connecting the two cages you have joined two territories and they may fight to defend their own. Mix the two beddings and rub the two hamsters together so the scent is mixed. Once a pair is established try and have one large area rather than several small which they can get territorial over. Remember that although the male can help care for the litter he will mate the female again IMMEDIATLY after birth which means she will be pregnant again straight away whilst nursing. This is a strain on her body. I would advise you to remove the male before the babies are born. She will manage fine on her own. If you keep them as a pair she will have litter after ltter which you will need to home or cage in single sex groups and you could end up with hundreds in a season. The female should be 4-7months for breeding. They should not be related and it can take a while for the pair to establish and mating to take place. Make sure you keep both scents in the cage when you clean. Females are dominant. They normally stop breeding around 11-12months. Think very carefully before breeding and be sure you do not add to the number in rescue. Good luck

Beowolf72
06-04-2007, 03:05 AM
Thanks, hopefully the will mate, because their attitudes are very awsome. They both are very sociable. For now, they seem to be getting along with the cages connected. Telly seems to be warming up slowly to Tilly, as they both have gone over and slept with eachother in the other's cage.

We plan on as soon as we know Tilly is pregnant, to seperate the cages to where Telly is again on his own.