PDA

View Full Version : Pet Safe Disinfectants?

Holly
05-27-2007, 02:01 AM
How safe are they - given the number of hamster products that aren't actually safe/suitable for hamsters to use?!

I've always used a clear fragrance-free spray from our local pet shop and had no problems but this recently ran out and the pet shop were out of stock when I went in for more :roll:

So I bought the Wilkinson's "Hutch and Cage Disinfectant Cleaner" - the bottle states it's safe for hamsters BUT it has a very strong smell and I'm worried it will have a detrimental effect on them.

What do people think? I obviously want the cages to be clean but am I better doing something else?

lau200
05-27-2007, 02:28 AM
i am not sure exactly but i know several people who refuse to use "pet safe" ones and use diluted vinegar instead. i also know of animals who have had allergic reactions to pet safe cleaners. i have never had any problems myself.

my sister, who is studying to be a vet at uni said the most harmful chemical is what makes it bubbly (i forget what she called it).

i am reluctant to trust pet companies but until i can find something more suitable i will use the cleaners with caution.

Jane
05-27-2007, 03:53 AM
I use 6 parts water, 4 parts white vinegar, a drop of lemon juice and a pinch of salt. Someone recommended it to me and it works great ;)

Minicooper
05-27-2007, 07:12 AM
Vinegar (The stuff you put on your chips) and a bit of elbow grease works well. :D

souffle
05-27-2007, 07:47 AM
We use just very hot water and a tiny splash of the pet safe disinfectant spray from Morrisons. We have used Milton's baby bottles sterilising fluid before on cages in which a hammy has been poorly. I think that whatever you use, as long as you rinse it very well it will minimise bad effects.

Holly
05-27-2007, 08:54 AM
I'll use it, well rinsed, until I can find the original non-smelly one again then. The interesteing thing is that the bottle instructions say to spray lightly again once clean and leave it to dry rather than rinse. I haven't done that but I'm sure some people must follow the instructions.

souffle
05-28-2007, 02:22 AM
I imagine they are thinking more of the owners who may think their hammy prefers to smell nice and fresh and like a flower garden when actually they like to smell nice and like a hammy :lol:

Holly
06-01-2007, 02:17 PM
Well we've been away for four days (the hams have been looked after by a friend) and all the cages still kind-of smell of the stuff :(

I hate it and I'm sure they must as well - so I'll be looking for the fragrance-free one we've always used tomorrow.