PDA

View Full Version : Same food for syrians and dwarfs?

Jane
05-20-2007, 09:41 AM
Very quick question, can syrians and dwarfs have the same food? I assume they can, just want to make sure. If not what's a good food (or what should I add to the mix) for a dwarf?

Thanks
Jane

Holly
05-20-2007, 10:14 AM
I remember when I asked the same question when we got our winter whites :wink: ...the consensus of opinion seemed to be that they could be given the same food and we use Harry Hamster for all of ours. We also give millet and they seem to love the tiny pieces.

One thing though - our Syrians get fresh veggies about five times a week - I'm much more careful with the ww's - they get a tiny piece each about twice a week - seems to work as none of them have had diarrhoea and they all seem healthy.

Does this mean what I think it means, Jane??? :P

Jane
05-20-2007, 10:58 AM
Yep Holly, it does mean that ;) Hopefully a rescue ham, not for a couple more months though.

I make my own mix (nooboo recommended it when I got Charlie) with harry hamster, another mix, porridge oats and cat biscuits...would that be okay for a dwarf or should I just use a plain mix with nothing added?

souffle
05-20-2007, 12:01 PM
I would find out what the rescue ham is on and gradualy wean it on to your mix by adding a little each day till you have gredually moved him over. Not sure about the cat biscs for dwarfs though.

Jane
05-20-2007, 12:03 PM
I would find out what the rescue ham is on and gradualy wean it on to your mix by adding a little each day till you have gredually moved him over. Not sure about the cat biscs for dwarfs though.

I just had a thought, nooboo, who came up with the mix I use also uses it for dwarfs...so I'm assuming it will probably be fine...?

gizmo
05-20-2007, 04:37 PM
Same food. Just for campbell's be careful of diabetes (stay away from really sugary stuff like corn, peas, and any fruits.

babyboos
06-06-2007, 06:53 AM
absolutely right Gizmo - more seeds and grains for a dwarf is preferable in addition to normal hamster mix - they can cope with large bits - good for their teeth - so don't worry about that - but they do like a nice varied high protein, complex carbohydrate diet - not too high in protein mind - like all things moderation is the key - you wouldn't feed your Syrian more than a couple of nuts a day and the same applies to your dwarf hamsters. A piece of wholemeal pasta (cooked or uncooked) can be given to both species help teeth and digestion.