PDA

View Full Version : Two Blonde Djungarion's Attacking.

Hammy&Dino
05-14-2011, 11:05 AM
Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if I should seperate the two. They are smaller, we got them from Petco. When they are together the bigger one usually attacks the smaller one, and the smaller one (Dino) makes a sqeaking noise.

SnickersTheFirst
05-14-2011, 11:12 AM
Have either of them got any wounds? If he's squeaking it's most likely not a playfight but obviously I haven't wintnessed it so I can't comment. Does he always attack the little one? If it's happening all the time it sounds as though you should seperate them. It's also possible that the bigger one is eating all of the food.

Hammy&Dino
05-14-2011, 11:18 AM
Have either of them got any wounds? If he's squeaking it's most likely not a playfight but obviously I haven't wintnessed it so I can't comment. Does he always attack the little one? If it's happening all the time it sounds as though you should seperate them. It's also possible that the bigger one is eating all of the food.

None of them have gotten any wounds yet. And the little if the big one steps like a couple of inches away the little one squeaks. And yes, the big one takes all the good food first.

stellanova1
05-14-2011, 11:19 AM
Hi, what sort of cage are they in? Is the bigger one chasing the smaller one? I'd suggest making sure they are in a one level cage with two of everything to prevent dominance. my past hams Tubs and Skin made squeeky noises when they cleaned each other but they where soft, faint squeeks. If the squeeking is more loud and urgent and the big one is clearly attacking and chasing the small one all the time then seperating is probably for the best to prevent any injuries. Do you have any pictures of their cage set up?

Hammy&Dino
05-14-2011, 11:26 AM
Hi, what sort of cage are they in? Is the bigger one chasing the smaller one? I'd suggest making sure they are in a one level cage with two of everything to prevent dominance. my past hams Tubs and Skin made squeeky noises when they cleaned each other but they where soft, faint squeeks. If the squeeking is more loud and urgent and the big one is clearly attacking and chasing the small one all the time then seperating is probably for the best to prevent any injuries. Do you have any pictures of their cage set up?

Unfortunetly I dont, but it is like a fish aquarium.

laura
05-15-2011, 03:42 AM
hmm, well when my two male hybrids housed together got separated the dominant more fit one started chasing and attacking the more quiet and laid back one. The poor laid back one would make a really loud and long squeaky squealing noise (whilst clearly surrendering by rolling on his back with his little hands up) and the other one just wouldn't leave him alone in the end. They were regretably housed in quite a small tank at the time though, which I didn't realise would make such a difference since I had never housed any dwarf hamsters before. I think the main reason they fought was because the active one was quite dominant and turned out to be diabetic, so that would explain why he was so agressive sometimes.

Anyway, if you feel that he is not going to stop until he damages the other one and that it is upsetting the smaller hamster (which from the noise you described it sounds like he is quite distressed by it) then I would separate them. Maybe into a plastic storage container of some sort for now as a temporary cage if you don't have another cage at hand.

Mine were also in an aquarium...even when the trouble maker was moved out the other hamster didnt seem to ever be that happy in the tank I felt. I moved him into a large habitrail ovo which actually has less room but he has always seemed much more happy in that for some reason. I guess it depends on the hamster though, I think he prefers to be able to peer out at us and recieve food from us lol.

Anyway I hope my advice helps :)