PDA

View Full Version : Baby Chinese Dwarf making squeaking sounds?

emmapickles
05-08-2011, 06:13 PM
I got a chinese dwarf (winston) from p@h a few days ago, and was wondering about the little squeaks he makes? They've died down since he's settled i think but do they make them in distress?
Thaanks :)

Vectis Hamstery
05-09-2011, 02:56 AM
I've found that Chinese make several noises. This is my interpretation:

* quiet chuffing ("tch-tch-tch") - Seems to indicate satisfaction/contentment
often made when in nest or finding yummy treat in food bowl. Ears up and alert.

* quiet-medium loud short runs of squeaking ("ee-ee-ee-ee") - seems to have several meanings depending on the context and body language at the time.
As a grumpy-type noise: Babies make this noise when carried back to the nest by mum or when she cleans them. When starting handling, some babies squeak but stop when it doesn't provoke a response, e.g. being put down. In this situation, the ears tend to be back.
I have heard short runs of squeaks in contentment: babies squeak when mum returns to the nest, or in similar situations to the chuffing above. Some of mine have made this when visibly asleep in open nests - I wonder whether they were dreaming!

* chattering (teeth rattling/grinding together) - not happy/grumpy.
more often made by syrians, when woken from sleep or unexpectedly disturbed. Ears usually back, body can be flattened to floor. Not a good idea to handle a hamster making this noise

* sneezing ("ch-squeak-ch-squeak") - needs to see a vet, could have a chest infection
This is quite a loud noise and occurs far more often than the quieter, intermittent noises above. The hamster can also look poorly with watery eyes or nose, hunched position or ruffled fur.

I would be interested in other noises or interpretations :)

anorak
05-09-2011, 05:02 AM

I love this noise! Little Noodles does it when she is collecting her bedding and mooching around her home! it makes me laugh as it sounds like she is talking to herself! :mrgreen:

SnickersTheFirst
05-09-2011, 01:42 PM

Glad I came across this, was just going to ask about the sound Bailey was making during playtime. It was what I'd describe as a quiet chuffing noise. :D

emmapickles
05-10-2011, 11:35 AM

aww yay! winston makes this noise and i was wondering, nice to have a happy hammy :)

catslovelycats
01-13-2015, 01:05 PM
Ah. Pleased to see this thread. I've had my chines ham 24 hours and she makes lots of what I'd call chortling noises while she's exploring her cage - the kind my guinea pigs do when they are happy and content. Am I right to assume it means she's content, too???