PDA

View Full Version : New to the family, meet Diddy!

SnuggleHam
04-27-2007, 01:00 PM
When my pet rodents passed on, I vowed that each new one would be adopted either from a shelter or private party rather then supporting the mass breeding industry buying from large chain pet stores. My dwarf roborovskis "Pichu" passed away a couple weeks back, and so his cage has been empty and waiting for a new friend.

I managed to find someone in my area that had a dwarf hamster up for adoption. Specifically thats what I was looking for seeing as my cage is only suitable for a dwarf. Anyway, I adopted a new little friend named Diddy.. thats his original name by first owner and I decided to keep it since its cute.

I believe he is a Campbells...though with the bad interbreeding he could be a hybrid for all I know. He's pretty big for a dwarf hamster! but then this is my first time owning a Campbells, Im use to the tiny robo hams, or either the big Syrian hams! I weighed him and got 58 grams, is that normal?

Beautiful markings if I say so myself, and black eyes. It seems he has sparse bits of gray and even a bit of beige in his coat, but over all looks an off white. I'm not an expert in colors, but according to my Hamster Lopeadia, he looks just like a Platinum.

http://www.hamstercentral.com/images/myhammies/diddy01.jpg

http://www.hamstercentral.com/images/myhammies/diddy02.jpg

http://www.hamstercentral.com/images/myhammies/diddy03.jpg

I tried my best to get loads of awesome pictures, but when I was about ready he decided it was time for bed. He started building up a nest in this one corner. He was in a nest building trace! :shock: I took his cage apart so it was just the base so I could get a few decent shots and he kept digging around completely oblivious. I hope to get some more when hes more awake on his own terms :)

Hes so adorable I love him to bits already! He hasn't been handled as much as his previous owner wanted, so hes a bit timid, maybe even a tad aggressive I can already tell he may be a challenge to hand tame, I wont be surprised if I get nipped! :x Nothing some gentle persistence and yummy treats cant handle in time, Im sure. ;)

Christine Yule
04-27-2007, 07:40 PM
Diddy is a sweetie, Snuggleham!

I am so glad he found himself a loving home. Every hamster deserves to be loved!

I'd say that 58 grams is perfectly normal for a Campbell's. Not big not little, just normal. You probably are just used to the teeny tiny Robo Pichu!

Great pictures, by the way. :wink:

Hamstermama

souffle
04-28-2007, 12:12 AM
Awwww what an adorable little guy he is and so handsome. His coat looks so thck and plush. He is so lucky to have found you Snuggleham and you him. He does have a platinum look about him. I am sure you will soon have him tame. Campbells are often quite cage aggresive so you may find he is better if you herd him into a box or ball and take him away from the cage for handling. Looking forward to lots more of you gprgeous pics too.....and of all your other hams of course!

babyboos
04-28-2007, 03:28 AM
looks like a lovely mature Platinum Normal Campbells
good luck with handling, and do keep showing him off

SnuggleHam
04-28-2007, 04:45 AM
Diddy is a sweetie, Snuggleham! I am so glad he found himself a loving home. Every hamster deserves to be loved!

I'd say that 58 grams is perfectly normal for a Campbell's. Not big not little, just normal. You probably are just used to the teeny tiny Robo Pichu! Great pictures, by the way. :wink:

Thanks! Glad his weight is normal too! I was wondering if maybe I was working the scale wrong or something, Gwen is like 132g hehe, but then she is a syrian :lol:

Awwww what an adorable little guy he is and so handsome. His coat looks so thck and plush. He is so lucky to have found you Snuggleham and you him. He does have a platinum look about him. I am sure you will soon have him tame. Campbells are often quite cage aggresive so you may find he is better if you herd him into a box or ball and take him away from the cage for handling. Looking forward to lots more of you gprgeous pics too.....and of all your other hams of course!

Thanks Souffle, It was hard finding a dwarf hamster in my area! I look on Petfinder.com but they always seem to be on the other side of the state and thats simply to far to drive! I'm lucky that someone finally responded to my ad in craigslist. I had to pay a ten dollar adoption fee but I don't mind. Hes worth it.

He is very thick and plush. The first thing Smoo said when he saw him is, ..."He looks like a puff!" :lol: Id have to agree. Thanks for the heads up about cage aggression,Ill keep that in mind. I gave him a piece of lettuce this morning and he didn't act to defensive :wink:

looks like a lovely mature Platinum Normal Campbells
good luck with handling, and do keep showing him off

Thanks Babyboos. I read that Platinum is one of the newer colors being found in the Campbells. Hes certain fluffly round and mature hehe.

suga
04-28-2007, 09:20 AM
Congratulations Snuggleham on finding Diddy :D
Hope all settles soon and you are able to start interacting together. He has lovely colouring and I love the kinda of streaky look he has where his fur is a little ruffled.

SnuggleHam
04-29-2007, 06:05 AM
Congratulations Snuggleham on finding Diddy :D
Hope all settles soon and you are able to start interacting together. He has lovely colouring and I love the kinda of streaky look he has where his fur is a little ruffled.

Thanks Suga, Diddy is adorable, I had him out a bit in the morning and he was pretty docile!

SnuggleHam
04-29-2007, 07:44 AM
More Pictures!!

Diddy exploring the coffee table for the first time.
http://www.hamstercentral.com/images/myhammies/diddy04.jpg

Diddy finding some crumbs left over from last nights dinner on the coffee table.
http://www.hamstercentral.com/images/myhammies/diddy05.jpg

Diddy being a little timid, keeping close to his cardboard box
http://www.hamstercentral.com/images/myhammies/diddy06.jpg

Peeking over the cardboard box hehe.
http://www.hamstercentral.com/images/myhammies/diddy07.jpg

Things are going good and hes settled in really well. He seems comfortable and cozy in his new home. Hes not as cage aggressive as I thought he might be. I haven't attempted to pick him up directly from the cage, but he lets me pet his back. This morning I took him out for a romp on my lap and the coffee table. I opted to heard him into a small cardboard box, he pretty much goes in on his own, hes very inquisitive. The slightest movement around his cage causes him to peek his nose out to see whats going on.

He seems comfortable being handled, and once out of his cage he lets me pick him up around the middle and such. Of course I'm taking my time and respecting his space, but he seems like a very friendly little ham! and hes sooo adorable! :D

I gave him a silent spinner for dwarfs thinking it would fit him well, but he can hardly make a few steps in it without his fluffy tush falling off the side! :lol: So I put the original wheel in with the cage, its big enough for a Syrian ham, but it seems to suit him well enough.

Christine Yule
04-29-2007, 10:18 AM
Glad to hear Diddy is starting to feel at home with you. :D

I know what you mean about the wheels designed for Dwarves. All of my Dwarves and Robos have wheels designed for Syrians. I just have to glue fabric for padding on the running base so their feet don't get caught or sore. When it comes to wheels, I always say, the BIGGER the better. My dwarves run with wild abandon on their wheels and I think it keeps them nice and healthy. Especially, the ones with Diabetes, since they can run off the extra sugar in their blood.

"Hi Diddy!" Please pass it on. :lol:

Hamstermama

Holly
04-30-2007, 09:06 AM
He's really cute :) ....and lucky to have found you (and you him :wink: )

Widowmaker
04-30-2007, 12:46 PM
Hah, I love the way dwarf hammies look like they don't have any legs when they get all close to the floor :D

He is a sweetheart, and looks so fluffy!

Want one!

BubblesandSqueak
05-07-2007, 12:19 AM
Wow, he is totally gorgeous, he's just... AMAZING.
More pictures soon I hope! :lol:

pophammy
05-07-2007, 12:03 PM
Aww, he's so cute! Great pics. He has massive black eyes!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

lau200
05-08-2007, 01:45 AM
he is absolutely gorgeous :) he is such a sweetie, you must be so proud of him.

Peanut
06-26-2007, 02:18 PM
Oh, what a sweetheart! You must be so proud!