PDA

View Full Version : Small concern

suga
04-09-2007, 10:10 AM
Just lately I've noticed that Conker's wee is smelling much stronger than normal. Up until yesterday she didn't have a "toilet" type facility in her cage but I have now put one in - in the corner she normally uses. Well today - I've been sitting by her most of the day working and I have seen her use it at least twice. No training required the girl is a natural!

It was becoming difficult to keep her corner clean and smell free, cos although I have been removing the worst of the shavings the smells obviously lingers as it gets into the shavings that are left behind. Still hopefully this will improve things in that corner.

I have noticed that fuzee doesn't have the same problem although she wouldn't use the "toilet" previously but has now started to use a definite corner so I may try again.

Is the strong smell due to older age?

Christine Yule
04-09-2007, 03:40 PM
I don't want to make you worry needlessly but your comment reminded me of what happened to one of my older Syrian females.

I noticed the smell of her urine changed. I also noticed that the colour of the shavings in her pee corner started to change colour slightly. Kind of orangier. She happened to pee on the carpet one time when she was out and it was orange and hard to remove. I figured that it must be bloody urine.

I took her to the Vet and she said she had a bladder infection. The Vet gave me antibiotics for it but it didn't cure it. She later had to be put down because she was in terrible pain from what the Vet said were bladder/kidney tumors of some kind.

You might want to take your hamster to the Vet to be checked out.

Hamstermama

suga
04-10-2007, 01:22 AM
:-( that's not a good thing.
She seems to be eating, drinking and active as normal. doesn't seem to be in any discomfort etc. the smell is stronger but the colour hasn't changed or anything.
thanks I will think about what you have said.

Christine Yule
04-10-2007, 05:55 AM
I just wanted to add, that my hamster continued to be active, eating and drinking all completely normal. Her condition continued over several months, and her behavior never changed until the very end. All though in her case, she had cysts or tumors involved, that might not be the case with your hamster. Maybe it is just something that can be easily treated, if caught early enough. :wink:

Hamstermama

babyboos
04-11-2007, 03:34 PM
hamsters are very prone to kidney problems with age.
sadly this could more than likely be due to the diets we give them in captivity.
maybe ask your chemist, doctor/nurse, or vet for a urine test strip next time you are passing - they may give you one for free if you smile nicely.
You can also buy them on eBay - people on the Atkins diet use them a lot - Ketastix is one brand I am aware of though not sure if you can just get one there.

this will show if there is any protein in the urine.

souffle
04-14-2007, 01:58 PM
How old is conker now? We find that inevitably with age the kidneys weaken and they wee and drink more. They are usually bright and bouncy though and live a good long time, with most of ours getting close to 3 years. Nelson's corner (now well over 2) is always wetter than the others. Watch for any sign of colour change or straining to go as they can get crystals in the bladder and infections.

suga
04-15-2007, 10:31 AM
You know I'm really not sure how old she is - I think she is around 20 months ish. She definitely is drinking more coming out of her nest maybe 3 times a day but nothing else appears to have changed except the strength of smell. I have noticed that her fur looks a little duller of late and thin in places (not like when it started to fall out) but a little lighter too in colour. I think its old age creeping up on her which would tie it in with the potential kidney thing.
I will keep an eye out for the test that babyboos suggested - although I don't understand the protein element of the post. I will continue to keep an eye on her and maybe run her to to the vet if it gets worse. thanks

Holly
04-16-2007, 08:48 AM
...although I don't understand the protein element of the post.

I think it's simillar to humans in that, if damaged, kidneys leak protein into the urine and it is detectable there. In humans even something as simple and treatable as as a urinary tract infection can cause protein to show in urine. Don't know if hams are the same though!