PDA

View Full Version : This is no reason to not care for your hamster...

DeweyTheHammy
04-04-2011, 08:51 PM
on craigslist:

"One year old female Hamster - Sara!
She has brand new habitat/cage, extra tubes, glow in dark ball, all food and water supplies, bedding, and bath powder with bowl. My daughter recently diagnosed with add is unable to care for her pet. "

Having A.D.D. is NOT a reason to give up a pet. I have severe ADD and I'm still able to care for 3 hamsters just fine... This is just a case of a child bored with her pet. Lame.

princess-rhi89
04-05-2011, 03:24 AM
Some people deal with things differently hun, I suppose its best that they are giving this pet up rather than abusing or just leaving it in its cage with no love and attention.
I agree that people should try harder and you are a wonderful example of someone with a condition that still gives 110% to their pets, I wish everyone could be more like that with there pets. xx

Pomegranate
04-05-2011, 05:38 AM
kymberley: Check the punctuation, she's quoting. It's not her daughter, it's an ad on Craigslist.

kymberley
04-05-2011, 05:43 AM
kymberley: Check the punctuation, she's quoting. It's not her daughter, it's an ad on Craigslist.

:):confused::-D:cool:

CoolcatNatNat44
04-05-2011, 07:16 AM
Whats ADD?

Gillzy
04-05-2011, 07:31 AM
Attention Deficit Disorder, also known as ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder), I guess without the hyperness...

ETA:
Just realised I didn't explain what it is. It basically means that the individual finds it hard to concentrate.

Gizmodo ^_^
04-05-2011, 07:33 AM
Hmmm, well its better going to a new home, if they are not looking after it properly i guess..

StarlightSerenity
04-05-2011, 09:10 AM
Both me and my OH have severe mental health problems (me - anxiety and depression, him - bipolar and PTSD), we can look after pets fine but others in the same situation as us may not be able to.

Sorry to sound harsh but you're being exceptionally judgemental.

Hamtastic
04-05-2011, 09:18 AM
It's just an ad to get people to buy stuff. Her daughter might not even have ADD or anything else that would make taking care of pets difficult. It could simply be a way to present the hamster as being just fine for potential adopters, even if she does have ADD and it's not the real reason she's giving up the hamster.

mangoandmimi
04-05-2011, 09:38 AM
i have to say i think its a bit of a lame excuse too; i think that when getting a pet these are all things that you have to think about! If that person goes to hospital, becomes ill, whatever the reason is, then who's going to look after the animal? just giving it away, to me, seems like the lazy way :L couldnt the mum look after him?

KatiePillow
04-05-2011, 09:46 AM
The thing is, that she'd have had the ADD when she got the hamster, she just hadn't been diagnosed with it, the diagnosis is no reason to get rid of the hamster, the condition perhaps - but she'd have already had that.
It's just another case of a hamster who isn't wanted any more, with somebody justifying it.

suga
04-05-2011, 11:40 AM
Tricky isn't it. Someone writes something on a board and you have no idea what is really going on. You have to take them at the word or just not read the info in the first place.
Any form of illness can affect different people in different ways - not surprising as we are all indvidual. I hope that the outcome for the animal is good and that what ever is going on in the background to encourage or to have prompted the initial information being posted to the internet - resolves its self in the best way.

SnickersTheFirst
04-05-2011, 12:42 PM
I agree with Suga, this could be a valid reason for rehoming. People deal with illnessess in different ways, no point in making assumptions. At least they are trying to do the right thing. :)

kymberley
04-05-2011, 12:53 PM
I agree with Suga, this could be a valid reason for rehoming. People deal with illnessess in different ways, no point in making assumptions. At least they are trying to do the right thing. :)

i agree though the mum could have taken over :) poor wee hammy :(

DeweyTheHammy
04-05-2011, 12:53 PM
I really wish I get the hamster, but I've already got 3 and I really can't afford to take any more xD

suga
04-05-2011, 01:20 PM
Its good that you are aware of your limits. Over commiting doesnt help in the long run.
I really wish I get the hamster, but I've already got 3 and I really can't afford to take any more xD

Sandrilene
04-07-2011, 01:55 AM
on craigslist:

"One year old female Hamster - Sara!
She has brand new habitat/cage, extra tubes, glow in dark ball, all food and water supplies, bedding, and bath powder with bowl. My daughter recently diagnosed with add is unable to care for her pet. "

Having A.D.D. is NOT a reason to give up a pet. I have severe ADD and I'm still able to care for 3 hamsters just fine... This is just a case of a child bored with her pet. Lame.

It bugs the hell out of me also. I saved my hamsters from bad people on craigslist.

rockster
04-11-2011, 04:48 PM
I must say that I dont think the reason she is giving him away is because of a.d.d because the condition won't stop her from looking after it and as Katie said she would of already had it. I have moderate aspergers syndrome and I dont think mental conditions really stop you (unless it is extremely severe). The only thing i could think of would be maybe the pressure it has put the family under has caused there to be no time. But even then why can't she just play with a hammy? Ahh well I hope it finds a loving home x

Ministottie
04-11-2011, 05:35 PM
I have MS and in all fairness it can seriously affect how I look after my animals. Luckily I have a helpful partner and family, but in some cases people don't, perhaps like this person, and with a.d.d it can be difficult to give the hamster the time it needs. My friend has a.d.d and she finds it extremely difficult to focus on one activity for more than 10/15 minutes, imagine if the hamster owner couldn't play with it for long because they got bored, or simply got bored of looking after it.

I hope it went to a better home with someone who can give it enough time:)

GirlyGirl
04-11-2011, 06:48 PM
I think her having ADD can be a bad excuse BUT pontentionally a good one???

But what really bugs me is when she got the hamster she had ADD, SO WHY THE HECK DID YOU BUY THE HAMSTER!!! just to move it home to home & stress the poor thing out?
I see this as a case of "Its just hamster. WHO CARES! what it goes through"
Some people like thats girl & mother are purley the definition of ignorance!

Amelia66
04-12-2011, 06:46 AM
i agree though the mum could have taken over :) poor wee hammy :(

well i agree that it could be a valid reason as people deal with animals differently, i don't however agree her mum could look after it. My pets are mine, my mum makes this clear she has nothing to do with them as they are my responsibility if i couldn't look after them then she wouldn't either as she is not pet minded and as i said she sees them as mine. As much as most people think they could just go to the next person in the family many are not interested in pets and thins could lead them to being neglected so i think it maybe in some cases better the rehome them than let them become neglected.

i also think its wrong to judge someone and brand them a bad pet owner when you have no idea what the situation is.

suga
04-12-2011, 06:59 AM
No one except the family involved, know the situation that they are in and what is happening. Hopefully it will be resolved with the best solution for the hamster and people involved. Surely that's all anyone can want.

Hope
04-12-2011, 07:12 AM
Well said suga. I personallyldont like speculating about someones situation that I have never even met, who am I to judge them? Things that are actually going on in a family are often very different to what is being perceived to be happening by others.

Pomegranate
04-12-2011, 07:15 AM
No one except the family involved, know the situation that they are in and what is happening. Hopefully it will be resolved with the best solution for the hamster and people involved. Surely that's all anyone can want.

Agreed. How well a family copes with a member suffering from A.D.D. can differ a huge amount. Fingers crossed the hammy will find a good new home.

GirlyGirl
04-12-2011, 06:43 PM
Everything you guys said is true & i agree with all of it, BUT why did she buy the hamster, if she had ADD? THAT in my opinion is something to judge.

I find it hugely irresponsible for her mother to get her daughter a hamster, if she has an illness! Now for there ignorance bliss in some way, shape, or form the hamster has to pay some sort'ove price?

Hamtastic
04-12-2011, 09:11 PM
Short answer is: people do all sorts of illogical and irresponsible things (including murder). That's just how the world is.

Amelia66
04-13-2011, 05:01 AM
Everything you guys said is true & i agree with all of it, BUT why did she buy the hamster, if she had ADD? THAT in my opinion is something to judge.

I find it hugely irresponsible for her mother to get her daughter a hamster, if she has an illness! Now for there ignorance bliss in some way, shape, or form the hamster has to pay some sort'ove price?

says on the ad that she has only just been diagnosed, so at the time her mother wouldn't have known.

SnickersTheFirst
04-13-2011, 07:54 AM
Sorry to sound really blunt, but I think this is a bit unfair. I mean, we don't even know these people so we can't make assumptions about what is or isn't right for them to do. Tbh they are rehoming the animal and all we should do is hope that it goes to a nice home. If they feel they can't care for the hamster, then in my books they are doing the right thing. :D

Tish36
04-13-2011, 08:47 AM
I personally think we have no right to judge these people. Anything could be going on behind the scenes, they could of got the animal for many different reasons, and the ADD could of affected the child in ways that you could not imagine. Some people do A LOT worse to animals, at least they are trying to rehome it to a good home and aren't harming it! It's completley wrong to judge someone who you know nothing about when you know next to nothing about the situation they are in. Not addressing this to anyone in particular but there's my opinions on this.

rockster
04-13-2011, 09:56 AM
Tish I actually agree now as diagnoses can really shake you up so I think that we actually can't make any judgements here.