PDA

View Full Version : Taming Piper

ayemee
04-02-2011, 04:03 PM
I have held Piper for the first time tonight, she gave me a little nibble to check what I was, but no bites so far. :)

I used the bathtub method, it seemed to work really well, however shes only 6 weeks old, so shes still tiny. :D

Any really good tips anyone has for gaining trust from her? She seems okay, I just want to double check.

She seems to get tired alot, after an hour she settles down for another nap.. is that because she is young? I've never had a hammie this young before. And she's my first female. Shes alot more vocal than males I think, :p

Hope
04-03-2011, 01:25 AM
Hi Ayemee and welcome :D

Sounds like you are doing a fab job with little Piper. They do sleep a lot when they are still young as she gets older she will get into a routine a bit more and be awake for longer periods.

Just keep doing the bath tub method with her, she will get more and more confident and used to it and she will beging to look forward to it and it wont be scary for her anymore :-) You could try taking some little treats in with you, and offer them to her, that will halp to encourage her and gain her tust a bit more.

Hope you enjoy it here at HC!

Gizmodo ^_^
04-03-2011, 01:29 AM
Hello and welcome to the forum :), your doing a great job with Piper, the bath method really does work :D, id keep with it and in no time you will have a fully tame content little hammie :)

ayemee
04-03-2011, 01:45 AM
Thank you, :D

She is sometimes awake in the afternoon too, I think maybe her sleep patterns are not settled yet. :???:

I took some treats in with me, but she didnt seem interested! :p

She was more interested in climbing all over my legs and hands. Shes so tiny! I've never had one from this young before, so it was a whole new experience for me. ;)

I'll carry on with the taming tonight and let you know how I get on. :D

fluffymunchkins
04-03-2011, 06:26 AM
I've found my lot really enjoyed millet seed when they were babies, its helps to encourage them to eat it off your hand as they can't pick it up and run off with it :)

ayemee
04-09-2011, 11:40 AM
Shes doing alot better now thanks! She is happy to climb all over and sit and wash in my hands. She even fell asleep on me the other day, it was so cute. :) She often still gives me little nibbles though, however its only when i've had her out for ages and the nibbles are so gentle. Is it her way of telling me she wants to go back to her cage for abit?

Oh and here she is!

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh202/Amzii-2007/IMG00400-20110403-2010-1.jpg

Hope
04-13-2011, 07:50 AM
Thats good to hear! Glad that she is becomming much more tame now!

I am really jealous that she fell asleep on you - I would love this to happen to me but all mine are way too hyper!