PDA

View Full Version : Bath sand varieties for hams

Hamtastic
03-20-2011, 12:18 PM
For some reason I can't find 'chinchilla sand' in two major pet stores here, and I read that the silica in it isn't great for hams either. So I'm looking at calcium carbonite sands or similar (I live in the U.S.):

Basic Aragonite sand:
Nature's Ocean Marine White Sand (http://www.petco.com/product/7534/Natures-Ocean-Marine-White-Sand.aspx?CoreCat=OnSiteSearch)

Our Nature's Ocean Marine White Sand is a premium reef sand that is 100% natural, straight from the ocean to you. This superior substrate is ideal for reef system tank bottoms and denitrifying anaerobic beds. Argonite benefits include reduced nitrites, helps maintain pH, increases carbonate hardness, and provides marine trace elements. Heat sterilized...

Zoo Med Desert White Repti-Sand (http://www.petco.com/product/4957/Zoo-Med-Desert-White-Repti-Sand.aspx?CoreCat=OnSiteSearch)

All natural substrate for desert dwelling reptiles
Pure, very fine quartz desert sand--better than silica sand stimulates natural digging and burrowing behavior
Natural colors
No added dyes or chemicals

What do you think?

StarlightSerenity
03-20-2011, 12:28 PM
I dont know much about sand types etc but I think I remember reading that quartz free sand is good somewhere... I could be wrong though as I have a rubbish memory!

Lil Miss
03-20-2011, 12:32 PM
childrens play sand is safe, you need to bake it in the oven on a low heat to dry it out first though

KatiePillow
03-20-2011, 12:36 PM
I've heard that reptisand can be too coarse for them, or something (presumably it helps reptiles moult though (I also can't spell moult..)

People over here use childrens play sand, dried in the oven, I'm sure that would be cheaper and have the same merits as these sands? >.<

But yeah, I don't know much about sand types >.<

Hamtastic
03-20-2011, 01:18 PM
After some searching, the most accessible safe sand type seems to be from Toys'r'Us at $6 for 50 pound bags. I'll pick it up sometime in the next week. Anyone have any good or bad experience with it for hamsters?

KatiePillow
03-20-2011, 02:21 PM
I used it in sandys cage, and it was actually softer than the chinchilla sand, but not too soft as to end up hurting their noseys, well this was just a childs play sand I bought from the Uk, mine was soaking when I got it so I had to dry it in a box before putting it in the oven, but it's really nice and soft once dry :)
I don't know about that particular sand though, sorry >.<

alexarcano
03-20-2011, 02:43 PM
I use the childrens play sand in Buster's (syrian) sand bath and he goes totaly insane when fresh stuff is put in, especially if it's a bit warm. I'll record it when I replace the sand tomorrow and post a link if I can catch him in the act. ;)
Don't know what the Toys'R'us stuff is like, but the one I use is a blonde sand from Argos (kinda reminds me of the stuff at a beach I visit in Italy called Viareggio, but with all the water, nasty organic material and salty stuff removed ofc) :D.

ameyjaney
03-25-2011, 02:49 PM
I use childrens play sand for Darwin, and he loves it :)

Hamtastic
03-25-2011, 09:06 PM
I got a 50 pound bag of safe play sand from Toys'R'Us a few days ago. It's only $6 for that amount. The sand is supposed to be low dust, but there was still some in it, so I washed it in a pillow case and dried by heating a bit in a tray in a toaster oven. The result was virtually dust free and clean. The grains are pretty small. Not very smooth, but not so sharp that I'd expect them to scratch the hams.