PDA

View Full Version : Introducing Dudley the Chinese hammy!

alisont
03-13-2011, 09:06 AM
Hello - am new to the forum - not had hammies for about 15 + years but have had loads of syrians and dwarf hammies in my past.

When I was out the other day and sat on a bench I saw a box move slightly and something said to look in it and there was a tiny hammy!!!

Someone had dumped him in the cold/open on this bench near a pet shop, I don't judge people but do wish if they cant keep their pets they would hand them in at a vets/rescue.

Anyway I brought Dudley home on the bus and into work for a couple of hours then home on the train - he was so still I did wonder if he would make it and did consider diverting home via my vets but decided to just get him settled - once home he was much better but still quiet - had to keep him for a day in a small container cage but have got him a Mill House cage now and he loves it - he is so healthy and tame - will sit clinging to my hand and run up my arm - he is a delight:-D

So some photos:

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b323/alit32/P1090681.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b323/alit32/P1090680.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b323/alit32/P1090695.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b323/alit32/P1090707.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b323/alit32/P1090700.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b323/alit32/P1090710.jpg

Have taken the wheel out as he cant move it and will get a silent spinner type?

I will also be swapping the shavings for megazorb - on the last bit of my bag and need that for my guinea so Dudley will have to have shavings this week and I'll try him on megazorb see which seems beter for him.

He has been added to the booking for a local small pets hotel as we go away at Easter - the owner there has had drarf hammies so he will be well cared for there.

Hope you think the set up is ok - I shall be adding to it and altering it no doubt as he settles in. He has made a nest of tissue/hay from a play hide box toy.

Got him on Harry Hammy food he seems to like and little tiny bits of vege but not fruit or carrot as know they can be prone to diabetes. I did give him a slice of apple the first night but nothing sweet since.

Am hoping they don't need mealworm or meat as I'm vegan so don't cook/use it!

How anyone could leave him there he is so tame and such a sweetie:-D

delbert
03-13-2011, 09:12 AM
awwwwww hes such a cutie, and thanks for rescuing him, i cant understand people who just dump animals like that, so cruel.

:)

louisbs
03-13-2011, 09:14 AM
He looks like a lovely happy chap now he has a forever home..
Well done for bringing the little guy home :D

selene16
03-13-2011, 10:01 AM
What a cutie! And what a lucky hammy to have been found by you :)

Pomegranate
03-13-2011, 10:03 AM
I hate to think what could have happened if you hadn't found him; he's one lucky ham to have you! :)

Gillzy
03-13-2011, 10:35 AM
Oh wow, it was like it was fate that you came across him, and I'm sooo glad you did! He's lovely!

Silent Spinners are great wheels (and easy to turn), the 6.5" would be best for your lil chinese! :)

And you don't HAVE to feed them any meat-type things. They get all the nutrition they need from the hamster mix, but treats are given for a bit of variety. :)

I still can't believe someone just left him there... but at least now we get to see him grow :D I'm glad he's not too distressed by that awful event.

Womblehands
03-13-2011, 11:34 AM
aww bless.. I agree it must have been fate.. what a lovely little lad

Debbie
03-14-2011, 02:36 AM
Why oh why do people do things like this? It makes me so mad and if I ever caught someone dumping an animal........ grrrrrrrr!!! I guess there is the very slightest possibility that seeing as it was near a pet shop, someone may have bought him, sat down on the bench and when they got up forgot about him! But still, they don't deserve him!

Anyway!! Luckily for Dudley - I love the name! - he has ended up in a much better place than where he was and seems to be settling in very well. I adopted my first chinese a few weeks back and I am totally in love with her!!...........and Fred my syrian of course!!

alisont
03-14-2011, 12:17 PM
I did ask in the pet shop but they had not sold any hamsters recently. Did leave my mobile number in case anyone called in but I really think he was left, and I'd be very reluctant to let him go elsewhere - he has a home for life here - he's settled in so well:-D

I'm know what problems people can face and know it's not easy - but I really wish people would try and hand unwanted animals in at somewhere like a vets or rescue - it was so windy/cold that afternoon and he was not left with food or bedding - another half hour and the area would of been full of kids after school - his box would of been knocked off the bench, just so glad I looked inside the box - not something I normally do, I'd not normally sit there either but didnt want to take my drink on the bus so decided to have a 5 min break and sit down.

So glad I did!!!

marzipan
03-14-2011, 12:32 PM
Dudley is very lucky to have you, i agree it must have been fate. he looks very happy to be in your hands, well done for finding him, and good job you had a drink before you got on the bus :)

Jesse
03-14-2011, 12:36 PM
Sounds like fate to me! Lucky Dudley and congratulations to you! He's lovely and you sound like a wonderful hamummy! ;)

alisont
03-19-2011, 02:06 AM
Dudley seems like he has been here forever - he is such a nice little character - he now comes out to the 2nd level whne he hears me come home or in the morning.

I never know who to go to first him or Monty guinea as they both come whizzing out when they hear me:-D

He is very quiet and polite - likes to come out for a bit but does not know what to do with an excercise ball - just sits in it and looks confused - seems happier climbing round me - he is funny he goes up your arm and back round the other side.

Finding out what treats he likes - has to have such tiny portions - am use to guinea/bunny portions me!

Not had a single nibble/bite he is so chilled and happy:-D

So glad we have a fab small animal hotel nearby - know he will get play time at least twice a day and the lady has had plenty of dwarf hammies before so knows all about them. I shall feel happy leaving him for a week at Easter. Did wonder about trying to take him but we need the space to get Monty guineas cage in the car as just can't leave him behind!

Will get some more photos soon....

Iluvhamsters
03-19-2011, 02:15 AM
I'm glad to hear he's settling in well :)

fluffymunchkins
03-19-2011, 10:49 AM
So glad we have a fab small animal hotel nearby - know he will get play time at least twice a day and the lady has had plenty of dwarf hammies before so knows all about them. I shall feel happy leaving him for a week at Easter. Did wonder about trying to take him but we need the space to get Monty guineas cage in the car as just can't leave him behind!

Will get some more photos soon....

Glad to hear hes doing so well :)

Would you mind messaging me the details of the animal hotel please?
I normally have the grandparents look after mine, but it would be good to know of another place.

ameyjaney
03-19-2011, 03:14 PM
Aww, he is gorgeous. Chinese hams are very amusing :)

alisont
03-20-2011, 10:09 AM
Few more pics of the boy - such a friendly natured chap - he is thriving really a pleasure to look after him!

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b323/alit32/P1090718.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b323/alit32/P1090762.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b323/alit32/P1090774.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b323/alit32/P1090775.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b323/alit32/P1090781.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b323/alit32/P1090782.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b323/alit32/P1090783.jpg

We tend to give him treats on top of his dry food but let him eat them then and there and as soon as he moves off I remove them - as don't want him over eating! I can't believe how clean he seems - am use to guineas who seem to go to the loo everywhere in vast amounts:mad: as he seems so clean I've not done a full clean yet but wipe the shelf area daily and check the bedding daily. Will do a full clean once my megazorb is here as want to move him onto it.

alisont
03-20-2011, 10:16 AM
Glad to hear hes doing so well :)

Would you mind messaging me the details of the animal hotel please?
I normally have the grandparents look after mine, but it would be good to know of another place.

I'll post on here in case anyone else is interested - even if not local the photos are great on Mollie's website - my Melvin & Parsnip guineas and Leo bunny are on there!

Personal pet boarding for small animals - Little Pets Hotel (http://www.littlepetshotel.co.uk/)

You can just tell when someone is as potty as you about animals and Molly is a very experienced animal carer. I've yet to meet her 3 rescue chinchillas!

fluffymunchkins
03-20-2011, 12:14 PM
Thankyou, she looks brilliant :D
I'll definitley keep her in mind (planning to go abroad this year hopefully)

alisont
03-20-2011, 12:39 PM
Thankyou, she looks brilliant :D
I'll definitley keep her in mind (planning to go abroad this year hopefully)

Mollie is really good - I have no concerns leaving my gang with her and she is near to the Vale Vets who she uses and I know are good. I use Clent Hills vets as I can walk there but have used the Vale in the past.

She is a real animal lover and has done an HND in animal care.

We take my eldest guinea pig away with us - can't leave him behind and he has a few medical issues but if we all ever went abroad or if Mum cound not have Monty I'd leave him with Mollie. If we ever get round to having the house rewired I might take them to Mollie,

I get photos sent on my phone from the gang whilst they are away and Leo Bunny gets spoilt - his holiday hutch is bigger than his here. He is wary of new people but took to Mollie straight away which is unusual - but great he trusts her.

fluffymunchkins
03-20-2011, 01:13 PM
I did read about her sending pictures, I thought that was a wonderful idea!
I do get worried and pictures help to calm my nerves (or bring me to tears cause i miss them so much :mad:)

alisont
03-20-2011, 03:51 PM
It is optional you can say if you want updates or not - I like them as I know they are ok and in great hands with great care! I know other pet sitters have been good in the past but know they would not get as much TLC and care as with the small pets hotel.

I do miss them a lot but if I go away with parents it's in the UK so If I knew one was ill I'd just get the train back!

I've got a good friend over the road who use to look after them but only popped over 1-2 times a day it's just not the same and could not go back to that - friend is wonderful but I need to know Leo gets run time daily and they get held.

souffle
03-21-2011, 04:10 AM
What a lovely little man he is. I'm so glad you found each other :)

alisont
03-23-2011, 03:43 PM
Thanks, just got Dudley out tonight and can't believe it but there is a big hole in his ear! Maybe an old bite wound I think? Poor chap!

I'd not noticed it before but then his ears have often been back, he seems more awake/alert tonight so ears were fully up.

He has a few little scratch marks on his neck old ones so makes me wonder if he was with a friend/brother and was in a fight or being bullied? He is such a sweet natured chap and has never bitten me so I reckon he was bullied in his previous home.

Gizmodo ^_^
03-23-2011, 03:47 PM
Dudley is beautiful, and lucky to have found such a good home with you :)

Cartoonist
03-24-2011, 12:29 AM
Awww, so sweet!

Iluvhamsters
03-24-2011, 02:44 AM
Thanks, just got Dudley out tonight and can't believe it but there is a big hole in his ear! Maybe an old bite wound I think? Poor chap!

I'd not noticed it before but then his ears have often been back, he seems more awake/alert tonight so ears were fully up.

He has a few little scratch marks on his neck old ones so makes me wonder if he was with a friend/brother and was in a fight or being bullied? He is such a sweet natured chap and has never bitten me so I reckon he was bullied in his previous home.

It is possible that he has been in a fight with a sibling, if he was maybe he was the one that started it and that was why he was dumped but we'll never really know his story.

Vectis Hamstery
03-27-2011, 03:21 PM
Dudley is such a handsome chap and looks properly spoiled in his new home. It does sound as if he'd had a fight with a cagemate, but nicks/holes in ears don't bother them.

racinghamster
03-30-2011, 08:06 AM
What a lovely ending for this little chap! He is so gorgeous! As the other members have said, it was sheer fate that you sat there that day. You see a box on a bench but never think there will be a hamster inside! I`d like to meet the moron who decided it was a good idea to leave him out in the open to a fate we can only imagine had a good person like yourself not came along. Well done. ;) Shame you don`t live near me as I would have loved to hamster sit this little guy for you!!! :)

Sounds as though he was in a scrap previously and they did`nt have another cage so decided he was dispensable. :evil: Leaving him at the doorway of their vets would have been a better plan, or even their local pet shop where he would have at least got fed and looked after.

Anyway....a happy ending! :)

alisont
03-30-2011, 12:05 PM
Seems like Dudley has been part of the family here for ages now!

I'm amazed how little I have to clean him - he does not smell - used shavings when I got him as was waiting for megazorb delivery - he is now on that and seems to like both. He is like a gerbil with how he digs and like a mouse how he hangs onto you - such a sweet friendly nature:-D

Whoever left him did leave him opposite a pet shop I guess.

My pet sitter is looking forward to meeting him, shes had dwarf hammys of her own. My Mums getting use to handling Dudley too as she looks after the gang when I'm away occasional weekends.

I'd love to take Dudley with us at Easter but it's enough of a squeeze to get us, luggage and our eldest guinea and the guinea cage in the car - we don't leave him as he is 6 and has a few medical issues.

Sandrilene
04-09-2011, 04:55 AM
my hamsters didn`t know how to use the ball either after i first got rescued them. if u gently nudge the ball he might get the idea and be running in no time worked for my girls. i wish mine were as outgoing as dudley tho still not tamed.

Amelia66
04-09-2011, 10:24 AM
He is like a gerbil with how he digs and like a mouse how he hangs onto you - such a sweet friendly nature:-D

that's a very good description, i have a chin and mice and my bf has gerbils and they are a little of both. Looks like your probably right about the reason he was dumped, he probably fought with a sibling and then the owners decided instead of getting him a cage of his own to dump him :( poor little chap. Glad hes safe and sound with you now! i gotta say Chins are my favourite hammys :) mine has learned to sound of food packets and runs out to see me when he hears them lol.

Also mine hates his ball. He would sit there for ages until you took him out so he may not be a ball ham, rather a run around on you hamster lol. Might wanna try mealworms as a treat, although not to many as too much protein, but mine loves them :p

Cartoonist
04-10-2011, 01:17 AM
Aww, glad you found him!! He's so cute!!! ♥

alisont
04-14-2011, 02:57 PM
Dudley is at the pet sitters - the small pet hotel tonight as we are going on holiday - am really missing the little chap! Know he is in good hands but wish I could of taken him too but no room in the car with taking our elderly guinea and his cage. Pet sitter is very experienced with dwarf and other hamsters but just hope he does not think I've left him for good:confused:

I got such a cute photo last night - Dudley asleep on my half under my cardy - will add when I find the card reader!

fluffymunchkins
04-14-2011, 03:02 PM
awww I hope he has fun on his own little holiday :)
I've booked all mine in for the end of July, poor pet sitters will be a bit crowded with all my lot :mad:

can't wait for photo x

anorak
04-14-2011, 03:11 PM
Thank goodness you found him! I can't believe people would do that! I hate leaving Noodles for a few hours when I am at work!!!!! Bless you for taking him in and taking care of him. x

alisont
04-15-2011, 12:48 AM
It was fate that day I found him,

Yes pet sitters is rather crowded - about 8 guineas, 3 bunnies, a hammy there plus the owners 2 dogs, gerbils, 3 chinchillas and her hammy and more arriving next week.

Leo bunny has the largest hutch about 7 foot - he wont want to come home as it's bigger than his:mad: I have promised him a new huge hutch with the one off bonus we got at work (was that or a day ticket to see Muse at Reading/Leeds festival and had to go for the new hutch of course:-D)

I'll take my netbook away and will try and post the cute sleepy head.

alisont
04-24-2011, 11:52 AM
Still trying to find sleepy head photo but here are some from today of Dudley.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b323/alit32/P1100493.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b323/alit32/P1100494.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b323/alit32/P1100495.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b323/alit32/P1100498.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b323/alit32/P1100509.jpg

Dudley seems happy to be home after a week at the small pets hotel, he took a few days to get over being shy and then settled in with Mollie there, who thought he was fab!

Womblehands
04-24-2011, 12:03 PM
he is so beautiful he makes me well up a little, the last pictures look like he's so happy he finally has a mummy..beautiful lad

fluffymunchkins
04-24-2011, 12:05 PM
What a cuddle monster <3
I'm glad he settled well at the pets hotel, I expect Bacardi will be very shy at first also.

samincittagazze
04-24-2011, 01:10 PM
he is so beautiful he makes me well up a little, the last pictures look like he's so happy he finally has a mummy..beautiful lad

Me too! I want to write a book of his life, complete with fairytale happy ending. :)

Womblehands
06-14-2011, 03:54 AM
Thought I'd bump this thread, hows the little lad doing?

alisont
06-14-2011, 11:21 AM
Thought I'd bump this thread, hows the little lad doing?

Aww that's nice of you:-D

Dudley is great doing so well thanks! He is such a quiet little soul, I hardly see much of him - he tends to get up once the light goes out and I can just hear him doing many a lap on his silent spinner wheel that he loves. He then gos to bed when I get up at 6.45!

He loves his treats like half a cherry tomato or other fruit/vege, loves digging away and does if feeling sociable climb up on my hand to come out otherwise is happy to be carefully picked up - he has never nipped me, even when tired.

I must get some photos soon but it's unusual to spot him and he goes so fast if out anywhere!

When we go away next month he will be off to the small pets hotel, he took a while to settle there first time as it was so close to me getting him so a bit unfair on him really, Mollie there kept a close eye on him so hoping he remembers her and does not think I'm leaving him there too long!

Love him to bits - such a friendly, gentle chap!

Womblehands
06-14-2011, 11:24 AM
Nice to hear, I was thinking of him this morning so did a search for this thread..pics soon please

fluffymunchkins
06-14-2011, 11:29 AM
Thats lovely news :)
Its still amazing how lucky he was that you found him x

Womblehands
06-14-2011, 11:35 AM
I would love to have a little chinese ham but I'm so used to syrians I don't think I know enough about them yet.. maybe in the future..

alisont
06-14-2011, 12:52 PM
Dudley was tempted out - by a green pea of all things so got a few photos - he was a bit tired so did sit still for a bit.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b323/alit32/P1100746.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b323/alit32/P1100747.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b323/alit32/P1100748.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b323/alit32/P1100749.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b323/alit32/P1100755.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b323/alit32/P1100759.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b323/alit32/P1100761.jpg

alisont
06-14-2011, 01:37 PM
Just seen Dudley on the photo gallery at where they board:

Pet boarding gallery - Little Pets Hotel (http://www.littlepetshotel.co.uk/pet-gallery/)

fluffymunchkins
06-14-2011, 01:50 PM
N'awww what a sleepy face :D
Looks like he was very happy at the pet hotel too x