PDA

View Full Version : Teaching Alfie not to bite?

Emma
03-30-2005, 12:23 PM
I thought I'd start a new thread for this - as the other one went a bit OT and I actually have at home Alfie now!

He is much better than he was, but he still nips. If you put your hand directly into the cage he will attack it (so we don't do that!). We open up the cage and pick him up either by two-handed scoop or by picking him up in toilet-roll tube. Once he's in your hands, he'll potter about quite happily and explore your hands/lap/shoulder/the sofa - but every now and then he'll bite you, quite hard. I'm at a bit of a loss how to stop it - I thought once he'd got used to being handled he'd stop biting, but now he handles fine (apart from the initial picking up in the cage) but still nips.

It's not a huge problem, but it'd be nice if he didn't do it, some of my fingers are a bit sore! Is he likely to stop doing it over time? Any suggested techniques that might help? At the moment we handle him once or twice a day for maybe 10-15 minutes, and we're not offering any food by hand as that seems like asking for trouble! And we wash our hands first with a bland soap.

(for anyone new, Alfie is an adult male Campbells from a rescue)

babyboos
03-30-2005, 01:48 PM
Yes Emma if I remember right ended up turning into a debate on Campbell's Russian Dwarf Blue versus Blue Fawn... :oops:

To be honest some Campbell's never turn into cuddle monsters - especially rescues or those obtained from pet stores. They really react badly to inbreeding also :x You have come on a lot with Alfie 8) and the worst part usually is getting them out of their enclosure. Many people out there have to use a ladle or the toilet roll tube technique :wink: I have even been there myself, especially with a particular strain of Red-eyed Argentes :evil:

I would therefore be more concerned with the nibbling once out :twisted: Painful, and annoying it may be but the best thing you can do is ignore it, don't let Alfie see a reaction such as putting him back in his cage or anything or he will do this more - they really like it in their enclosures for some reason :? I do use the blow method of reprimand, with mixed success. Others I have spoke with in the past (especially about those #*&Xz$* Argentes) have suggested tapping on the nose but I think that winds them up even more :twisted: I blow at their face and firmly say NO! - whenever they are naughty. Give it a try - it wont hurt, except you if Alfie doesn't like it :cry:

Emma
03-31-2005, 04:09 AM
Thanks for that babyboos. I have been trying to make a point of only putting him back in his cage once there's been several minutes of nice play with no nipping.

I'll try that blowing technique - the only thing I'd heard before is giving them a little tap on the nose - I just know that'd trigger him off more! The blowing sounds like a good plan.

I had one albino Campbells when I was younger who was a complete tart and loved having a play, never bit anyone. All the others were temperamental, especially in their cages, but I've never had one bite like Alfie does, just randomly when they're out. I'm beginning to wonder about how he was kept before he went into the rescue - he doesn't act like a hamster in a few respects - he doesn't make a nest, in fact threw all the bedding out of his little house, and quite often sleeps in odd places curled up on the shavings. He also doesn't store food anywhere, just eats it from the bowl or where I've left it. And he doesn't use the wheel at all, although that's not terribly unusual.

Well he's got everything a hamster could wish for now - I hope he learns to be a hamster! (a nice non-bitey one maybe)

babyboos
03-31-2005, 07:57 AM
Well he's got everything a hamster could wish for now - I hope he learns to be a hamster! (a nice non-bitey one maybe)

Oh Emma I do hope you get a breakthrough, that last comment really made me chuckle - who'd be a hamster psychologist eh?!

It is great when you ask them one day "hey when was the last time you nipped?... and you seem to develop a whole new attitude to playtime and holding your hamster. Patience and perseverence (plus a tube of Bach's Rescue Remedy :? ) are the best advice I can give. Little, and often like you are doing - putting him back in his enclosure only after a few minutes of nice behviour are a good start. I hope you get there :)

giyorg
08-08-2006, 05:17 AM
Interesting story, Emma. We (me and my wife) might be in the same predicament as you are.

Granted, we've only had our hammy for just over a week, and part of it might be the stress of readjusting to a new environment, but our hammy's biting tendencies have raised both in frequency and severity (she actually drew a pinprick of blood from me, one time). And it looks like it's just getting worse.

Also, she doesn't use her wheel at all. :( and she's a very picky eater and doesn't sleep inside her hammy house, but she does nest.

She is a pet store hamster and the problems with inbreeding might be more manifest in this particular hamster or in every hamster in that store.

I feel sad, most of all, for my wife, who only wants to cuddle and love the hamster. And now she can't. We're still keeping our hammy, but we may never be able to pet it as much.

Maybe I'll get another one for my wife (a Syrian, this time) from a local breeder, if I can find one.

souffle
08-08-2006, 08:47 AM
Don't give up and feel despondent about your little one yet. You have only had her a short time and things will get better as she settles. I would say dwarfs do tend to be more aggressive. The more they get to bite and you put them back the more they bite! A good idea would be some serious taming work wearing the gardening gloves. That way you can handle and if she bites then it will not hurt and you should not put her back. Be persistent. Some Campbell's also suffer from cage aggression. They do not like to be touched in the cage, near the cage or have anyone put their hand in there. To get her our can you get a ball or plastic box, take the cage lid off and use the lid of the ball or box to sort of herd her in to the container. Once in take her far away from the cage to a safe, soft surface and start taming with the gloves on. After a bit you should be able to do it without the gloves. This takes time and patience. Our Spud was the terror of the school but now he is home for the hols he is fine, a grand wee lad but only outside and away from the cage.

giyorg
08-08-2006, 02:42 PM
That is completely new information for me, Souffle. Thanks for the encouragement and suggestions.

I have not given up on our new hamster. I just felt sad for my wife, that's all.

Minicooper
08-09-2006, 02:03 PM
You have only had your hammie for a week now so it is going to take a long time for your hammie to trust you.

It look me months to get hammis to trust me to pick her up.

Hamsters need to get to know your smell and voice before starting to pick a hamster up. Try talking lightly to your hammie and just stroke it so it can get used to your touch