PDA

View Full Version : chinese hamsters

bertiemc
02-07-2011, 09:57 AM
Could anyone advise me as to whether or not you can put a chinese hamster in with a dwarf. The only reason I am asking is that there are two hamsters up for adoption at P@H, one is a dwarf and the other is a chinese hamster. I have a spare cage here and was wondering if the two of them could live happily together. They are both males by the way. xxx

SnickersTheFirst
02-07-2011, 10:59 AM
Are they both Chinese hamsters? If not then they cannot live together.

Maybe PM VectisHamstery. :D

louisbs
02-07-2011, 11:24 AM
Even if they are both chineseys.. they could end up fighting..
Mine lived together since they were born.. now 1 year old they've had enough of each other lol

Vectis Hamstery
02-07-2011, 11:31 AM
What species is the 'dwarf'? If it it a Russian, Campbell's, Winter White or Roborovski, it definitely cannot live with a Chinese hamster.
If it is another male Chinese hamster, then it may be possible, but I would recommend getting just the one Chinese. If intorducing adult Chinese you would need to be very very careful and there is a high chance they will fight and need splitting into separate cages. Fights can result in nasty injuries in Chinese hamsters. Chinese hamsters live happily alone.

louisbs
02-07-2011, 11:33 AM
Yeah.. my 2 seem to be happier apart :)

sweetcheeks
02-07-2011, 12:22 PM
they probably wouldnt live happily togethewr because unless they are realated they will probably fight.

bertiemc
02-07-2011, 01:16 PM
Ok thanks for the advice I didnt think it was a good idea to get both. Just have to persuade hubby now to let me have another hamster. xxx