PDA

View Full Version : Storing Hammy Treats...

Jill Bayles
02-03-2007, 08:28 AM
Well I've got to grips with what to give and when and that got my logical thinking to the question...what do I store them in? Don't want unopened bags all over the place so thought about small Tupperware-type containers...labelled of course to provide an extremely organised storage system.

What do you all think about that and what systems do you have?

I'm looking forward to finding out :wink:

Ta very muchly :lol:

suga
02-03-2007, 10:32 AM
I keep mine in airtight tupperware boxes too. Makes it easy for stacking in the cupboard and because mine are clear I can easily see when we are running low :)

SnuggleHam
02-03-2007, 12:18 PM
I just keep my hamster feed in the bag it comes in :oops: Ideally though, I would like to by some air tight plastic containers to eventually store the food in, and something similar to store treats in. Eventually I will get to it once I renovate my rodent corner :lol:

Hana
02-03-2007, 01:59 PM
I keep mine in a old ice cream tubs, probably not the best thing to use though.

Jill Bayles
02-03-2007, 03:01 PM
I keep mine in a old ice cream tubs, probably not the best thing to use though.

That's a good idea. I'd label them so I knew what was inside. Would they be airtight though?

Jill Bayles
02-03-2007, 03:03 PM
I'm gonna pick up some small airtight containers tomorrow in Wilko's and a scoop for the Megazorb as I had it all over the house when I set up the cage :wink: :lol:

Holly
02-03-2007, 03:49 PM
We keep our hamster food and treats in individual airtight tupperware's as well - it's just easier to see what's there that way - and things like raisins, banana chips and peanuts in shells do go off - actually quite quickly - if open to the air.

......and a scoop for the Megazorb as I had it all over the house when I set up the cage :wink: :lol:

I was thinking the same thing when I picked up my first bag of Megazorb yesterday - plus I'm going to look for some sort of practical container to keep it in as I know I'll spill it everywhere from that bag it came in.

Hana
02-04-2007, 06:46 AM
Yeh I have a little scoop for my megazorb too, it makes it easier! :)

Jill Bayles
02-04-2007, 07:03 AM
We keep our hamster food and treats in individual airtight tupperware's as well - it's just easier to see what's there that way - and things like raisins, banana chips and peanuts in shells do go off - actually quite quickly - if open to the air.

......and a scoop for the Megazorb as I had it all over the house when I set up the cage :wink: :lol:

I was thinking the same thing when I picked up my first bag of Megazorb yesterday - plus I'm going to look for some sort of practical container to keep it in as I know I'll spill it everywhere from that bag it came in.

Well let me know if you come up with anything...the thought did cross my mind but I couldn't think of a solution. I've just folded the top of the bag over a few times and put it in my garage.

Emms
02-04-2007, 01:52 PM
We put ours in jam jars, we have a little cupboard where all the pet food, treats etc. goes. It works pretty well :)

Emma x

Widowmaker
02-05-2007, 03:48 AM
I use the box the cage came in to store loads of little tubs containing their food/bedding/treats etc. It saves cluttering up the cupboards with tubs and it keeps it all in the same place.

babyboos
02-05-2007, 04:13 PM
I got a whole bunch of Rubbermaid containers in Matallan recently and transferred my goodies to them. Before that I had a variety of old tubs (butter, ice cream etc.) and Tupperware but I found with repeated washing and opening and closing nightly they wore out eventually and became less airtight. The new containers with locking lip sides are great and I use larger ones with holes drilled for transporting hamsters.

Jill Bayles
02-08-2007, 10:27 PM
I got a whole bunch of Rubbermaid containers in Matallan recently and transferred my goodies to them. Before that I had a variety of old tubs (butter, ice cream etc.) and Tupperware but I found with repeated washing and opening and closing nightly they wore out eventually and became less airtight. The new containers with locking lip sides are great and I use larger ones with holes drilled for transporting hamsters.

I did think about that type but I just went for the cheapest ones I could find...at 39p a tub they're cheap enough to throw out and replace. I do use the locking lid type at home and find that in time they don't close up too good as they become a bit slack.

I've not started using mine yet as the treat bags remain unopened at the minute but I intend to give a treat today so will start using them soon :wink: