PDA

View Full Version : Shelf Help

Gillzy
02-02-2011, 07:49 PM
Can someone help me figure out how to attach this shelf? I don't think it's possible. :(

This is the shelf, and how unsafe it is for if Sen were to walk on it...

http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/4585/dscf1115g.jpg
http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/1869/dscf1117jg.jpg

It's attached with a little ledge on the long side, poking out the cage at the end. And those three clips which I have wedged in between the bars.

Iluvhamsters
02-03-2011, 03:38 AM
Could you put something under it at that corner?

Katarina
02-03-2011, 03:42 AM
How about using a branch from a fruit tree under the shelf running long way under it so the shelf can sit on it? I'd think that the branch would do it! or you can use a safe string to make it into a hanging shelf for extra support? I ended up tying my shelfs to the cage as they were slipping :)

Gillzy
02-03-2011, 06:00 AM
Even putting something at that corner, I'd feel the rest of it was unstable as it's just attached by being jammed in between the bars... :/

It's also unclear from that picture that it is 2 inches short of the entire length of the cage, so I can't tie it to the other end of the cage. I would have to tie it to the roof (if I could figure out how to put a hole in it). What would be a safe rope? Sen loves to chew.

I also wouldn't know where to get a branch. I live in the city, so not many fruit trees near by (and none that I would trust). I just got in an order of apple branches, but they are very thing and long, so not quite suitable.

Camdenita
02-03-2011, 06:34 AM
Make two holes in it (on each corner) with a sharp knife (after heating its edge with a lighter).
Then attach the shelf to the roof of the cage with two wires or two cable ties (like I've done in my hamster's house in the pic. I've actually drilled two holes in the middle of the shelf. It's not very clear but I don't have a better one right now!).

Gillzy
02-03-2011, 08:15 AM
Would cable ties stand up to chewing?

And thanks for the detailed description. I might try - will need to see what I can get to tie it up with. Wish I had something in the house I could use. :(

Fidgetthefirst
02-03-2011, 09:11 AM
Cable ties are brilliant :) And i think they would work with chewing - and if not you couldjust replace them?

Gillzy
02-03-2011, 10:15 AM
Cable-ties - eBay (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SILVER/GREY-300MM-X-4.8MM--CABLE-TIES-WHEEL-TRIM-QTY-25_W0QQitemZ150556988154QQcmdZViewItem?rvr_id=2069 11530103&rvr_id=206911530103&cguid=3c5f918e12c0a0aad4d6ebc6fff00ef7)
Would these be fine then? Or would I be better with metal ones?
I worry about her chewing them and hurting her gums... if she hurts her gums would she stop?

Camdenita
02-03-2011, 11:00 AM
Yeah, these are the ones I use.
My male hammie is not a chewer (my female is - that's why she lives in a Mini Duna cage!), so there is no problem with cable ties.
But if yours is, u can use thin wire instead which is sold even in bookstores that have also pens, pencils etc (at least here, in Greece). It's a good solution and it's not chewable! ;)

Gillzy
02-03-2011, 04:42 PM
Do you know what the "thin wire" is called. I've bought those cable ties, may as well try them.

In the meantime I have managed to put the shelf up, using some wire bag ties (which are actually strong enough to hold it up), and a rubber band (coz I ran out of ties), which are in the corners quite discrete so she's ignoring them - she had a lick at the rubber band, and decided it tasted yucky so don't see her going near it again, although I'll check it in the morning. And I kept the droopy corner up by using a glass, which I realised was the exact height I needed. :D Only thing I've got left to put in is her new wheel which is on its way and then she's done! :D

Camdenita, that heating up the knife trick worked a treat! :D was dead easy to make holes. Thanks! :D

Camdenita
02-04-2011, 01:23 AM
Happy to help you!! :)
The thin wire is not called somewhat else. Just thin wire!
I bought a very thin one from a boookstore from the section that sells materials u can use to make your own jeweleries (!) and a thicker one from the super market at the tool's section.
They are very usefull, in general, especially if you have a wire cage, cause u can use them to attach many things in it.

Gillzy
02-04-2011, 05:41 PM
Cool, I'll keep my eyes peeled. Thanks :)

vicky1804
02-07-2011, 08:34 AM
Gilly you might also be able to use garden wire, im sure places like Wilkinsons or anywhere that sell garden supplies will sell this. Iv used this to hang things in cages

Gillzy
02-08-2011, 04:21 PM
The cable ties came, and she's being very good with them and just had a wee quick taste of them to discover if they were food and that's it :) Very proud of her.

Thanks though, Vicky! :)