PDA

View Full Version : Do you think this could work?

genevieve
01-23-2011, 05:48 PM
Just been looking on the IKEA website for cheap furniture which could theoretically work for hamsters.
If I bought the IKEA APA storage box (http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/20078031) (£10.20) and replaced the pink part below with mesh, do you think it could work?

http://i51.tinypic.com/5u1l6a.jpg

genevieve
01-23-2011, 06:11 PM
38cm is not very wide (15inch) so looks like a very small box

Assembled size
Length: 70 cm
Depth: 36 cm
Height: 29 cm

So it's about 400 square inches.

jadalmation
01-23-2011, 06:24 PM
what species of hamster?

genevieve
01-23-2011, 06:29 PM
what species of hamster?

Anything other than a Syrian.

jadalmation
01-23-2011, 06:31 PM
to be honest turns out to be the same size as a cage a pet shop would sell you. A little short on depth but good length. I would of thought it'd be okay. But not for a pair of anything! would have to be a single Russian Dwarf :D :D

genevieve
01-23-2011, 06:35 PM
to be honest turns out to be the same size as a cage a pet shop would sell you. A little short on depth but good length. I would of thought it'd be okay. But not for a pair of anything! would have to be a single Russian Dwarf :D :D

Something that big would be about 6 times the price though, pet shops overcharge so much. £10 would be a serious bargain for that much space, and I could use it for my Russian, Olivia :)

jadalmation
01-23-2011, 06:47 PM
:)

Its fine for a Russian :D so u'll be alright. Sure Olivia will like it

StarlightSerenity
01-23-2011, 08:38 PM
Its not just the £10 you will be spending though, I would price the whole thing up, including the mess and whatever else you use to make it into an actual cage then the food bowl, house etc that would be included in the average cage.

Katarina
01-24-2011, 04:37 AM
Go for it! I know this box - have it for a storage of shoes! It is plenty high, so the front panel can be used to make another level - shelves for them to climb on and stuff, so you will be making bigger floorspace!!! I saw a cage made out of Billy book case few years back - 3 shelves for one hamster! it was a great one too! So go for it, and good luck! Just make sure you cover it with something water resistant - I'd probably use a lino and a water sealer around the edges. Plus think of how you are gonna clean it and make sure you have some kind of a thick band at the bottom in front of the mesh otherwise you'll end up having the bedding in front of the cage rather then in it! ;)
btw, I've seen a woman making a cage from storage boxes and she has used part of the play pen ( Play Pen for Hamsters by S.A.M. | Pets at Home (http://www.petsathome.com/shop/play-pen-for-hamsters-by-s.a.m.-15951) ) instead of mesh!

genevieve
01-24-2011, 10:21 AM
Go for it! I know this box - have it for a storage of shoes! It is plenty high, so the front panel can be used to make another level - shelves for them to climb on and stuff, so you will be making bigger floorspace!!! I saw a cage made out of Billy book case few years back - 3 shelves for one hamster! it was a great one too! So go for it, and good luck! Just make sure you cover it with something water resistant - I'd probably use a lino and a water sealer around the edges. Plus think of how you are gonna clean it and make sure you have some kind of a thick band at the bottom in front of the mesh otherwise you'll end up having the bedding in front of the cage rather then in it! ;)
btw, I've seen a woman making a cage from storage boxes and she has used part of the play pen ( Play Pen for Hamsters by S.A.M. | Pets at Home (http://www.petsathome.com/shop/play-pen-for-hamsters-by-s.a.m.-15951) ) instead of mesh!

Ooh, another level would be a great idea! I'd definitely be leaving a thick enough band, my mother hates shavings getting all over the floor! And the water resistance is definitely something to think about, thanks for mentioning it :) I also like the idea of the play pen rather than mesh, seems easier - though not from P@H, it's so expensive there!

Saffy
01-24-2011, 10:58 AM
Omg that is so crazy! Yesterday i saw it on ikea and said to my mum: don't you think this would make a good cage, just remove the white bits and replace it. So yeah i think it would be a great idea. :)

KatiePillow
01-24-2011, 11:41 AM
You'll need to price up the mesh, a sealant, probably plastikote, etc.. bear in mind you can get a zz1 which is about the same size for £33ish, and think of how it'll be to clean etc.
It is a good idea, but I know my cage would have been far too expensive if my dad hadn't had sealant, etc lying around :)

genevieve
01-24-2011, 12:29 PM
You'll need to price up the mesh, a sealant, probably plastikote, etc.. bear in mind you can get a zz1 which is about the same size for £33ish, and think of how it'll be to clean etc.
It is a good idea, but I know my cage would have been far too expensive if my dad hadn't had sealant, etc lying around :)

My stepdad has a lot of that stuff, that's why it would be so cheap for me :)

Omg that is so crazy! Yesterday i saw it on ikea and said to my mum: don't you think this would make a good cage, just remove the white bits and replace it. So yeah i think it would be a great idea. :)

Great minds think alike :P

KutButLykee
01-24-2011, 12:36 PM
Hmmmm..
I would also agree too just keep either one Syrian or one Dwarf hamster in that cage. But overall I would say if your willing too put the time and effort in to building that cage..Then go for it:)
But after having experience of having a wooden level in my Dwarfs cage, I would reccomend making it waterproof somehow? Maybe using like a pond liner kind of material too cover the wooden floor. But dont use varnish! Its toxic too hammies! :( x

(But if you dont waterproof the would...I would recommend you try and potty train your hammie? It saves having too replace the wood every so often.. Because it will rot, and eventually start to wiff abit :)! Good luck x

genevieve
01-24-2011, 01:08 PM
I'm not even sure if I definitely want to do it yet. It's just an idea :)

KutButLykee
01-24-2011, 01:10 PM
Haha:) Well... make sure too update us if you do;)! x

fluffymunchkins
01-24-2011, 01:46 PM
Just thought i'd mention one problem I've noticed, it could be quite dark inside for the hamster. I found this a problem in Treos homemade cabinet cage.