PDA

View Full Version : Should I get a friend?

zomgscott
01-21-2011, 05:11 PM
Hi, I literally purchased a dwarf russian hamster (BENJI) earlier on today. I was just wondering if I done the right thing only getting one? he/she seemed like he was looking for friends in his cage... Should I go back to the shop tomorrow and buy he/she a friend from the same cage or is that very bad idea?

I don't think I'm going to but if I did would it be a bad thing to do?

Feliza
01-22-2011, 01:15 AM
Well dwarf hamsters are more sociable than syrian hamsters.

MandyP
01-22-2011, 01:38 AM
Both of my dwafts on are there own and are happy. I wanted to get 2 but i was too worried if they would fight.

wofunny
01-22-2011, 02:11 AM
He will be fine on his own. I have two winter whites on their own and they are very happy.

Also adding in a new cage mate is hard work, it's not as easy and just putting him in straight away.

internet_nobody
01-22-2011, 04:14 AM
If you choose to do so, it needs to be today, and from the same cage - 24 hours should not be long enough for them to forget each other. You'll need to completely clean out the cage to add the new one. Campbells are very sociable and, if managed correctly, rarely need to be split. As long as you are prepared for them to potentially fall out, and need to be housed apart there is no reason not to.