PDA

View Full Version : Would it be possible to breed Chinese hams for ...

genevieve
01-19-2011, 02:19 PM
... increased tolerance of, and sociability with, their own kind? They seem to be a somewhat social breed, and often get along with each other. However, they also often fight too. In the same way that people breed for increased natural tameness, would it be possible to do it for sociability?

This is not something I'm planning to do now (possibly never), I'm just curious :)

KatiePillow
01-19-2011, 02:31 PM
Chinese hamsters used to be far more social i've heard, over the years they've become increasingly aggressive with their own kind.
So in theory if some could be bred, who are of better temperment to their own kinds, then they could possibly breed better tempered young.

Although I know vectis on here is a very ethical chinese breeder, which means she breeds for temperment as well as health etc, and she's had issues with keeping hers together..so it might be past the point of no return..but I don't know obviously (it being a hypothetical situation >.<)

internet_nobody
01-19-2011, 03:43 PM
I know quite a few breeders who manage to keep them together without problems. As not a huge amount is known about these hamsters in the wild, it may just be that they are naturally less tolerant of each other than other hamster species.

genevieve
03-01-2011, 04:17 PM
The more I think about this, the more appealing it becomes to me. Perhaps at some point in the future, I may make an attempt at breeding for sociability, after looking into it a bit more :)