PDA

View Full Version : NEED ADVICE following Macy's hysterectomy for pyometra

Intense125
12-31-2006, 02:39 PM
My female hamster had a hysterectomy for a pyometra infection on 12/19/06 and is slowly recovering. I'm looking for advice from anyone who can tell me how "long" the recovery process takes. Macy is eating and drinking almost as much as before her illness. She sleeps most of the time but has more and more alert periods where she acts like her old self for maybe 15 minutes at a time a few times a day.

She's been on an antibiotic since the surgery, and we're waiting for results from a culture. She's had some urinary incontinence which the vet says is not surprising and that may or may not improve in about a month's time.

Macy and her cage have a bad odor, and we've been changing her bedding daily, but in the last couple of days, we've noticed a brownish-colored "stain" around her tail area which smells very bad. I've searched the internet and can't find out what this might be. She has none of the classic symptoms of wet tail.

Does anyone have any idea as to what this might be? I plan to follow-up with the vet when the office reopens on Tuesday but would appreciate any advice in the interim!!!!!

SnuggleHam
12-31-2006, 04:06 PM
Sorry to hear about your hamster Intense :( I'm glad to hear you are already taking care of the problem with regular visits to the vets. Unfortunately I don't have any personal experience with the condition so I cant offer any real input about normal recovery time.

However it seems to me that a good sign to indicate recovery is to see the hamster eating and drinking. Thats probably the most important thing right now. I would assume it might take some time before your hams starts acting her old self again, her body likely needs to relax and fight of the infection.

As far as the order goes.. I read on the HC ailments page that Endometritis/Pyometra may cause a pus discharge, not to be confused with the normal white discharge at the end of each cycle. Perhaps this is what it is? Or perhaps the medication is causing a mild form of diarrhea? Hopefully someone with more experience will be more help, but perhaps you should call your vet about it?

Good luck, and please keep us updated!

souffle
01-01-2007, 10:15 AM
She has done very well to come through such a huge operation Intense. Once the womb has been removed there should be no normal cyclic discharge and if it smells bad it may be an infection with a new bacteria which is resistant to the antibiotic she is on. The vet may change the medication.

Sometimes internal healing does not go as well as it might and you can get a purulent discharge from the healing tissue with all the trauma and swelling inside. This can simply be all the old blood and infection fighting cells coming away and being flushed out of the body. This can happen in humans where it can take 6 weeks to several months for full recovery.

Sleeping is natures way of healing the body so I would not worry about her sleeping a lot. What age is she now? You could try giving her a probiotic supplement such as Avipro in her water to replace the good bacteria in her gut. Also easily digested food such as babyfood and little bits of protein such as tofu, chicken and scrambled eggs can help the healing and boost her immune system.

I would keep the changing of the bedding up and clean her wet corner very frequently. You have done a great job nursing her to bring her this far as pyometra is very difficult to save a hamster from. I hope she feels better soon and gradually returns to full health.

suga
01-01-2007, 10:20 AM
Hi - I hope that she continues to heal.....

babyboos
01-04-2007, 08:47 PM
Hope she is feeling better and healing well

Intense125
01-05-2007, 07:25 AM
Macy had her sutures removed on Tuesday. The vet was pleased with her progress, pointing out her alertness and 2-gram weight gain! As far as the odor and staining around the tail area, the vet was not sure what that was but thought it could be some discharge of uterine remnants. She recommended a special shampoo that I can try and said we could put Macy's wheel and shelf back in her cage--she has been "wheeling" a little bit, climbing her ladder, and seems to enjoy the exercise!! She will also remain on antiobiotics for one more week. We are pleased with the outcome thus far and hope she continues to return to her old self over time.

Thanks for the advice and empathy you have expressed about Macy. Not many people take hamster problems seriously (and even try to suppress laughter when it is mentioned), but we love this little 17-month old girl as much as any pet we've ever owned. It's just nice to know there are others out there who understand how we feel!!

I would still continue to appreciate any info or advice with your experience (or knowlegde) of the post-hysterectomy recovery process!! Thanks, again!!

SnuggleHam
01-05-2007, 07:52 AM
Glad things seem to be going well! thank you for updating! :) Macy sounds like she is doing wonderfully.

souffle
01-05-2007, 12:33 PM
That is excellent news. Macy must be a real little charmer :lol: :lol: Your decision to give her a chance with the operation obviously paid off. Many people would not have given her the chance though I must say I would. You are lucky to have a vet experienced enough to perform the op too so well done to her. :lol: :lol:

Intense125
01-07-2007, 03:55 PM
I was actually able to get a photo of Macy today! I tried but could not figure out how to post it here, but you can view it on my Profile! I'm happy to annouce she's continuing to improve. We started her on a probiotic this weekend, and she also enjoyed some bits of scrambled egg this am!

souffle
01-07-2007, 04:12 PM
Awwww she is absolutly gorgeous. A cream banded I would say. Does she have a white band round her tummy and cream at both ends? It was so worth that chance you gave her with the operation and I hope she gives you many more months, even years of pleasure. Sometimes the ones who have been through a lot are rewarded with a long life and she sure deserves it. My most special hammy was a little sable called Runty. He was as you might guess, the runt and had a spinal deformity which make his tail and back end of his spine twist over his back. It never gave him any pain and he was such a beautiful tempered lad and I never could part with him. He lived till 3yrs 3months. Bless him!
You can see his poem on this page if you would like to
http://www.hamstercentral.com/forum/vie ... c&start=15 (http://www.hamstercentral.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=185&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15)

babyboos
01-08-2007, 05:00 PM
Stick in there Macy
good luck for a speedy and complete recovery

Intense125
01-09-2007, 07:44 AM
Macy's still sleeping most of the time. During her alert time, she plays in a big plastic storage tub (we call it her gym and she's loved this since she was a baby) and have noticed she only urinates a drop or two at a time, and it takes her about 4 tries in different corners to get it all out. She doesn't appear to be in any distress when urinating but looks like she's "concentrating" real hard...perhaps straining. Her tail area gets pretty saturated after all this, and we're now cleaning her with special wipes.

Don't know if I mentioned before but the vet said that part of the uterus had adhered to her bladder, so she had to leave a little of the uterus in so as not to injure the bladder. She's off the antibiotic and on a probiotic now, so we're hoping to see some improvement with her possible diarrhea and staining around the tail area. The vet said incontinence after surgery is not uncommon and may or may not improve in time. I'm wondering if there might have been some nerve or muscle damage in that area during surgery?? In any case, we're thankful Macy is still with us and will continue to love and care for her, no matter what that entails!

souffle
01-09-2007, 08:18 AM
When a hamster gets to 17months we find that they do sleep quite a bit more than when they were younger. Even a hamster who had not been through what little Macy had would be sleeping more and be less active so perhaps that is pretty much normal anyway and with her recovering still I would not worry.
With such delicate surgey on a small animal I would not be surprised it there were some damage to some of the nerves supplying the bladder and perhaps even the bowel which may explain the looseness. If the bladder wall has adhesions it is probably less effecient and as long as she is passing urine hopefully it is just the effect of the op. Make sure she has plenty to drink and I have heard that a bit of cranberry juice in the water can soothe the bladder. Maybe you could ask the vet what they think.
It seems that maybe she has lost the strenghth of a normal hamster to squirt the urine back so that is probably why her tail is getting wet. I guess it is a bit like us ladies and our pelvic floor muscles. It is common for ladies to have bladder problems after a hysterectomy so I am sure hamsters are the same. Keep up the wipes so she does not get sore.
She sounds like a lovely hamster and you are a wonderful family to her. :lol:

Intense125
01-09-2007, 12:46 PM
Thanks so much for this very insightful information--makes a lot of sense :idea: !! I may discuss this with the vet again if she doesn't improve over time or ever appears to be in some sort of distress. I am so greatful for all you've shared with me!! :D :D :D

LilaHam
01-12-2007, 12:52 PM
I Hope Macy Gets Better Though is is good shes making progress!!!

Intense125
01-20-2007, 07:29 AM
I wanted to let those of you who have been concerned know that I lost my little girl yesterday. I'm still a bit out of it but have put some details in a new forum post on Hamster Chat. Thank you for your kind advice and concern during this past month. :cry:

SnuggleHam
01-20-2007, 08:11 AM
The link to the new thread can be found here http://www.hamstercentral.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1587 I will close this thread now. Please share your thoughts/feeling on the new thread. RIP little Macy :(