PDA

View Full Version : Crochet worries

Cakefortwo
12-17-2010, 10:30 PM
I'm a little new here to the forums, so if this has been answered somewhere before, i would appreciate being redirected, but i didn't see anything, so i figured i'd go ahead and ask;

I'm an avid crocheter... sometimes a little overambitious if i do say so myself, lol. But i love creating tiny quick things when i'm bored, and it makes me squee with joy when i can create something in mere minutes. (Bonus points if it solves a problem at the same time ;-) )

So i was wondering... are there any materials i should stay away from yarn-wise? I've known people who have crocheted/made things from Hemp/Jute before as long as it wasn't dyed, (and my mother and I both do a lot of macrame, so it's in no short supply...). But i have a few skeins of cotton, wool, and acrylic in various forms/weights. (I have undyed, hand-dyed, kool-aid dyed (which is my favorite ^.^), as well as the aforementioned acrylic (which i figured, if it's safe to have plastic tubes and such for hammies, why not plastic yarn? o.O)

Anywho... i figured before i went crazy making them little hidey-holes and things to cuddle in when playing in their pen (Unless i'm sure of safety, i'm not putting it in their cage...) i'd ask people who knew their stuff :-3

fluffymunchkins
12-18-2010, 11:02 AM
i would try and use natural materials like the hemp if you can.
Although plastic toys and chubes are ok, they can chew and swallow plastic yarn more easily!
I would completely avoid cotton and wool as you would with beddings like fluffy bedding.