PDA

View Full Version : Certain vegetables & fruits not suitable for dwarfs?

racinghamster
12-26-2006, 11:26 AM
I was just browsing away while googling for something and I came across a diet list on the `Hamsterific` website that suggested you should`nt feed carrot or apple to dwarf hamsters? :?

Can anyone clarify if this is true? I did`nt think a small square of carrot would be harmful to any hamster? But was a bit taken aback when I read this.

It stated that things like Broccoli, cucumber, grapes, kale, peas, turnip, cauliflower and water cress were fine, but not carrot or apple with dwarfs? very strange....!

Hana
12-26-2006, 01:19 PM
Thats wierd, i've never heard of that before. I have given both my hams carrot and apple before. I wonder why they said this! :?

souffle
12-26-2006, 02:54 PM
It could be because both contain quite a lot of sugar and with some lines of dwarfs being prone to diabetes may not be recommended. That said I would feed both to Syrians and dwarfs in small quantities.

racinghamster
12-27-2006, 02:54 AM
Thanks souffle. I completely forgot about the sugar content for dwarfs! :roll: It did`nt occur to me that this was why they were ommitted, but I agree that just giving a small piece would`nt be detrimental to their health.

I only have one winter white and I don`t think roborovskis are prone to diabetes anyway, so they should be okay.

I need to remember why dwarfs can`t have anything sugary...! I don`t even feed raisins or chocolate drops because of this but forgot about some fruits & veggies containing a certain amount of sugars. x

babyboos
12-28-2006, 02:21 PM
Sweetcorn is another you should only provide in strict moderation to dwarf hamsters (as you say especially Campbells Russian Dwarf hamsters), however diabetes is a disease which we have seen spread to all species of hamster in recent years.