PDA

View Full Version : How to build a bin cage?

Hannah
12-06-2010, 04:19 PM
Hi everyone.
I'm getting a new hamster and have been looking through all the cages that are available and have decided that I would like to build my own bin cage. The only thing I am worried about is ventilating the cage. Can anyone tell me where I can buy cage mesh (cheap) and and tips for how to do it easily. I am not very good at DIY. Do you just screw the mesh into place?
Thanks.
Hannah.
XxX

KatiePillow
12-06-2010, 05:01 PM
I can answer the last question, you can just stick the mesh down with like...duct tape or similar..do it on the outside in case :)

Pillow
12-06-2010, 05:18 PM
Wire mesh can easily be had online for reasonable prices.

Make sure the mesh isn't too big though, don't want your hamster trying to escape and getting stuck.

And as said above, cellotape from the outside should be sufficient for keeping it in place, make sure the hamsters can't chew at the tape though.

Hope
12-07-2010, 05:22 AM
http://www.hamstercentral.com/community/housing/7817-how-make-your-own-bin-cage.html

this link is a pretty good and simple guide to follow.

Hannah
12-07-2010, 09:36 AM
Thank you. Ive been doing my research and I am going to go bin shopping sometime this week. The only thing I'm struggling to find it small roles of suitable meshing that can be bought on the high street/DIY stores. I've seen some people have found some in Wilko's but I dont think they are still selling it, well if they are i cant find it.
XxX

Amethyst_ice
12-07-2010, 09:44 AM
tape wouldnt hold the mesh down. i drilled holes and cable tied the mesh down.

x

louisbs
12-07-2010, 11:28 AM
Goto Ikea for the bin :D
130L for £9.99 plus lid lol
Got one on my floor tempting me to fill it with a little fluffster.

Hannah
12-07-2010, 12:03 PM
Im sorry I always have so many questions to ask, but also I can't seem to find one of the water bottles that attatch over the side of the box. Can anyone tell me where these are found? XxX

Amethyst_ice
12-07-2010, 12:31 PM
this was my bin cage-

so i could attach water bottle. You can also drill a hole in the side, get some sticky sided velcro and tape it to the outside so the spout is on the inside

x

Faerydae
12-14-2010, 02:13 AM
You can get a mesh panel from B&Q or Homebase pretty cheap and it's big enough to just mesh the lid of a bin :)

B&Q Mesh Panel (L)0.9m, 52010B (http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=9436441&fh_view_size=10&fh_location=%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB&fh_search=mesh&fh_eds=%C3%9F&fh_refview=search&ts=1292317992315&isSearch=true)

and I use magnets to attach the water bottle to mine... one stuck to the bottle and another stuck to the outside of the plastic, gotta make sure they're very strong though so the hamster doesn't pull the bottle off :)

here's mine :)

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h223/x_non_x/bincage.jpg

I used screws to support the mesh and then taped it aswell for extra support

Holly's Mum
03-20-2011, 02:02 PM
Hi, I'm thinking maybe about a bin cage for Holly, but how do you cut the holes in the bin cage where the mesh is going?

Luther
03-20-2011, 02:23 PM
General consensus seems to be a sharp Stanley knife or a knife heated up. I used an electricjigsaw which was the easiest and quickest method.....

alexarcano
03-20-2011, 02:32 PM
I used a dremmel with a very fine toothed (circular) saw blade to do mine. It seems to make a nice job of cutting without cracking or melting the bin. Also I used the dremmel to make vent holes in the sides of the bin with a small drill bit in it (only a couple of mm). Personally I avoided using any heated blade/soldering iron due to toxic fumes building up indoors. Before you suggest opening a window or door, let it be known that its cold enough to freeze the bits off a brass monkey here. Well, it was when I was hacking holes in plastic. Not so much today though. ;)

Debbie
03-21-2011, 03:52 AM
On the bottle issue hubby drilled a hole for the spout and 2 smaller ones above for some wire to go through to hold the bottle in place. The other day I saw a photo of the bottle inside the cage held on by velcro pieces that had been stuck to the bottle and the box, I thought that was a very good and easy solution!

This is the base of our chinese hamster Mouse's bin cage and you can just see the spout of the bottle on the right.
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o132/DebsW/animals/hamsters/DSCN1698.jpg

And this is with the shelf hubby made, a piece of wood with 4 bits of doweling for legs.
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o132/DebsW/animals/hamsters/DSCN1696.jpg

princess-rhi89
03-22-2011, 11:47 AM
They still sell the mesh at wilko's, they tend to have it with their gardening stuff, so its harder to buy in the winter, their garden stuff is out now, so they should have it in store, just ask a member of staff to direct you :) good luck with your bin cage, cant wait to see the finished result xx

alexarcano
03-22-2011, 12:22 PM
Incidently I avoided the whole mesh issue by just drilling loads of holes in the lid. Just an option for you ;)