PDA

View Full Version : WW 1 or 2?

Emma :)
11-26-2010, 05:24 PM
As I said before, I've decided that I would like a pearl winter white. :D However, I'm thinking should I get 2? ;) I would not be able to split them so what are the chances of them fighting and can they live happily by themselves? Thanks in advance. :)

Fidgetthefirst
11-27-2010, 02:45 AM
Well, ive not had any experience with WWs, or dwarfs for that matter - but i think you should always be prepared to have to seperate them, so i think you should just get one really :/

mangoandmimi
11-27-2010, 02:53 AM
i've had no experience with ww either but with my 2 robos i was about to separate them as they got into fights - lucky their still together now!
It's lovely to get 2, you can see them like play and stuff on the wheel especially :D its great fun watching them :) but if things *do* go wrong then you'd need to separate them. then re-introducing them isn't always easy! it can be really difficult :L
Personally i'd get 2... i think so long as you give them what they need like no levels etc etc they *should* be alright but if u dont want the risk then dont :)

SnickersTheFirst
11-27-2010, 03:26 AM
They live fine on their own, sometimes even better than they would in pairs. If there's no way you can seperate then I wouldn't even risk buying 2 just in case, I know quite a few people who have bought pairs of dwarves being the best of friends but once they mature many fall out.

In my opinion, I'd say only get the one as you can't risk the pair fighting and then you won't be able to seperate. :)

mrnibblesmommy
11-27-2010, 04:25 AM
if you would be unable to split them, there's no point in risking things by getting 2 because then you'd have to take one back if they ended up fighting. better to just get one, give it a nice cage and loads of love and a happy life :D

KatiePillow
11-27-2010, 04:43 AM
I've seen a breeder of Winter whites who refuses to put them in pairs, because she has had so many bad experiences with them... the fact is, ultimately if they fall out, they could fight to the death, so when you put two together, you HAVE to be ready for this outcome.
I'd get one, (well, I'd get two and have a spare cage..) if you have no way of separating them, you'd possibly have to give one of them away, and you can't vouch for how the other person would raise them necessarily. There are so many hamsters who end up homeless..you should just take on how much you absolutely can handle.

I recently had to split my dwarfs up, I was crying for ages because I felt like they'd never be happy again...but they're fine. Their individual characteristics are more apparent too :) I think my girl prefers it (she burys her food bowl as a stash, whereas before the boy would dig it back out..)
Chances are they'd end up living alone even if you got two. So safest just to get one. You may feel guilty that they don't have a buddy, but as soon as you get them into their nice new cage they'll be so happy they'll have forgotten all about it :)

Katty_Sheldon
11-27-2010, 07:00 AM
I think chances are really really big, so absolutely dont do it if you cant immediately give one of them a second home. Like at once:D. Mine were always happy being alone.

mangoandmimi
11-27-2010, 07:12 AM
Yeah am only saying probably asi have spare cages ;) But even just a small temporary cage so you dont have to have 2 decent cages, until you can find one :~)

11-27-2010, 01:22 PM
Thanks for the advice. The problem is, the hamster cage would be in my room and my room is not huge. lol. My parents would think that one cage smells (even though it wouldn't :P ) so no way would they let me have 2 cages.

KatiePillow
11-27-2010, 01:29 PM
I have a tank cage for my dwarf (a duna multy) and even in the mini duna, You couldn't smell them..at all.
I used megazorb as bedding, I don't know whether this affects it as it's very absorbent, but nope..not a wiff..to me anyway.
I also can't even hear when she's up most of the time.

But if your parents wont let you have a second cage, you can only really have one hamster. You can't assume it'll work out, because most of the time, it doesn't seem to.

mangoandmimi
11-27-2010, 01:31 PM
Hmm if your parents are against 2 cages then i'd get 1 - it is less hasstle with toys and their supplies :)

11-27-2010, 01:33 PM
I have a tank cage for my dwarf (a duna multy) and even in the mini duna, You couldn't smell them..at all.
I used megazorb as bedding, I don't know whether this affects it as it's very absorbent, but nope..not a wiff..to me anyway.
I also can't even hear when she's up most of the time.

But if your parents wont let you have a second cage, you can only really have one hamster. You can't assume it'll work out, because most of the time, it doesn't seem to.

Ok thanks. :D Maybe I'm just best getting a syrian? ;) It's just they need a bigger cage and toys. Don't really fit in home made toys like toilet roll tubes and tissue boxes etc so it would be expensive. Especially cos I have 4 rabbits and 3 guinea pigs to look after so it's alot for a 14 year old to spend! ;)

KatiePillow
11-27-2010, 01:38 PM
A dwarf is fine living alone...mine does.. :) and she LOVES home made toys :) everything in her cage is home made basically :p
But no hamster is cheap.. it'll probably cost you about £80 to get everything and the hamster... >.< I think dwarves are lovely :) and so tiny and cutess :3

A mini duna is great for a single dwarf... :3 lot less space than a syrian...not that I'm pushing a dwarf or anything>.> <.<
:3
sorry, I just love mine so much...don't want you to miss out on it :)

mangoandmimi
11-27-2010, 02:11 PM
i love syrians, but yeah dwarfs do take up less room etc, but i wouldnt say its necessarily that much more expensive :P i've never had like ww dwarfs - only robos which i wouldnt recommend for the cuddly sort!