PDA

View Full Version : The fur loss continues....

suga
11-22-2006, 12:05 PM
Conker - the balding hamster, is losing more fur. Previously she lost some on her hind leg - it now appears to be spreading :-(

In the last couple of weeks we have noticed that she is drinking more and eating less. We have been keeping up the diet mix for her but it doesn't appear to be making any impact now. She isn't taking much food, hasn't chewed her food stick and really only eats a little of the fresh (apple, broccoli). She will take some of the baby food from the spoon but isn't really bothered about much else.

She is still active though. Not so much the acrobat she has been in the past but still active......

The fur loss has increased along from her hind leg to probably about half way up the body, its not gone completely in this area, but is getting thin. She is also thinning on her belly :-((

So the diet continues, but she may need a jumper by xmas:-P Does it sound like cushings, it has been mentioned before and I think it possibly is.....

Hana
11-22-2006, 01:48 PM
I'm sorry to hear about conker, i'm not very experienced so don't know what it is but I hope she gets better soon! :)

souffle
11-23-2006, 01:26 AM
It could be Cushings. With cushing's you usually get an increase in the pigment in the skin as well as the fur loss. Sometimes there is swollen abdomen and other biochemical changes too. I have read that low doses of the drug used to treat this disease in dogs have been successful in some cases but your vet would need a completely correct diagnosis that it was cushings. It could be another hormonal problem or sadly just old age finally catching up. All hammies age at different speeds. Some seem old at 9 months, some never seem old and just pass to the bridge one day. They always eat less as they get on as they are less active so need less. I hope she feels well enough to enjoy life for a bit longer. You are doing a great job looking after her and I am sure she appreciates it.

SnuggleHam
11-23-2006, 06:04 AM
I'm sorry to hear about your ham Suga, I hope that you and your vet are able to come up with a correct diagnosis and treat conker soon *hugs*

suga
11-23-2006, 12:19 PM
Thanks. Going to have a chat with the vet tomorrow and see where we go from there..

babyboos
11-29-2006, 08:17 AM
how did you get on I am anxious to know what the vet had to say
poor Conker I hope she isn't suffering too much by the hairloss
spoil her well as you have been doing and if the bald areas get a bit dry make sure to dab a few drops of a nice hamster safe (such as vegetable) oil on them
there are two schools of thought to consider warming foods can encourage hairloss such as oats but then due to her hairloss she may be feeling it a bit cooler - depending on what the vet thinks we may be able to suggest some other things for you to try, but lay off the oats in her diet for now and give her plenty of soft toilet tissue bedding in a solid sided house to ward off any drafts